Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna
Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $159.95
Description: The UHV-6 is Cometís 3rd generation HF ĖUHF mobile antenna, <br> and itís the best! Without the HF coils attached, the UHV-6 is a tribander for 6M/2M/70cm. The top of the element has a threaded socket for attaching the HF coil of your choice, now itís a quad-band antenna! <br> <br>
More info: http://www.cometantenna.com/uhv-6_product_information.htm

You can write your own review of the Comet HF/VHF/UHF UHV-6 Mobile Antenna.

KC9IMT Rating: 4/5 Jul 1, 2007 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Performance for Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already had a K400 trunk mount on my car, so installation was a breeze... A bit of tuning, probably 5 minutes or so, and I was making contacts on 6 meters and 40 meters.

This is by far the best antenna I've used as far as 440/2m performance... 6 meters is really good as well. I'm not quite comfortable driving 80 mph down the highway with the 40 meter coil on the antenna, but other than that, for the price, it's hard to beat.

G7PUV Rating: 4/5 Mar 19, 2007 23:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for size  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned mine for about five years now and for the size of it it performs very well. You aren't going to beat many pile ups with 100w but I've worked round the world from the car so I'm pleased with its performance. Parked up and with all the coils fitted there is little difference in the tuning, not enough to worry about having to retune any of the coils. Performance on VHF/UHF is fine, it's about 1 S point down on my CR627.

Mechanically I've had the lower coil start to work loose, some small movement was felt in it when I was carrying it from the car so I replaced it. Apart from that it's done 80MPH and is still straight, it's hit a few trees too and has survived fine. I've never driven with more than one coil on or the 40m coil as I think it would need guying with some monofil for stability. I've never had a problem with any of the grub screws loosening off, in fact one small annoyance is the use of two different sizes that hold the whips into the coils, the smaller ones round off very easily due to the small diameter Allen key required to adjust them.

One tip though, don't buy the coils for 20 and 17, by adding some 1.5mm diameter whip to the 15m coil it will cover both bands easily, in fact bandwidth is much improved over the optional 20m coil. Same process for 12m using the 10m coil. I'm sure for static use the same principle could be used for 60m using the 40m coil. Use the earth from 2.5mm T+E to get the correct lengths then cut some stainless steel whip.

If you want something smaller than a screwdriver and dont fancy monobanders then I can recommend this antenna.

N6PEQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2006 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for my mobile setup!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm using a Comet UHV-6 on my Mustang-Saleen convertible. It is perfect for my mobile setup, since it is not too visually obtrusive like a larger motorized HF mobile antenna. I am using the UHV-6 along with a LDG autotuner. The antenna really gets out! Worked all over the world with it. What a blast for a little antenna!

KG4TUM Rating: 4/5 Sep 23, 2005 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Does a good job. I lost 2 set screws before I saw the light. Loc Tite is a necessity with this antenna. They should include spare set screws. Easy to tune with an antenna analyzer. Performs well on the bands that I have, 10, 15 and 40. Haven't used it on 2 or 6 meters yet. Nice to have it all in one antenna. I had a Hustler HF mobile antenna on my previous truck, plus a 2 meter magnetic mount. I wanted something that didn't stand out so much on my new truck, and got it with the Comet. The only nit I have to pick is the narrow bandwidth on 40. Oh yeah, and the set screws.

N5EAT Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2005 18:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice System  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to agree with many of the posts. This antenna radiates a very good mobile signal. The bandwidth is fairly narrow, moreso than the Hustler system I also have. I drove 3500 miles last year with this antenna and had no problems, but I did check all the nuts and bolts when I stopped for gas. I'm actually using the antenna as my base antenna at the moment. I run a 50 foot section of coax out to the car and it does very well. The metal used for nuts and connectors is quite hard and you can't tighten the connections as you could with metal which will give a bit when you tighten something down.
Performance is on par with the other good multi-band systems you can purchase. Plus, you get 6,2, and 440 without a sweat. I can recommend this product without hesitation. Just heed the warnings of some of the other reviewers. Put some lock-tite on all of your permanent connections and you should have few problems.

K8LEC Rating: 4/5 Apr 23, 2005 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Good Signal, Kinda Flimsy  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had the UHV-6 for over 6 months, and actively used it for about 2 or so months as I didn't have my HF install in the mobile till about 1 month ago.

It was pretty easy to tune, especially if you have an SWR analyzer like the MFJ. I borrowed a friend's and it made tuning the coils a snap. For HF, a good ground connection is essential, without that, the antenna may not tune up well at all.

As for performance, it performs quite well. I had the 10/15/20/40 meter coils only. I would have liked the 17m coil. I didn't bother with the 80m coil as I expected the bandwidth to be quite small and the size to be trouble (more later in the review on that.) I had several DX contacts on 20m and got good reports from anyone I spoke with across the HF spectrum. Pretty much if I could hear them, I could work them.

I originally used it with an LDG Z-100 auto tuner to increase my operating frequencies, but after a while realized that the bandwidth I had without the tuner was plenty and I wanted to make sure I got as much efficiency as possible, therefore should stay within the tuned areas of the coils.

My main complaint is the strength and durability of the antenna. When I had the 40m coil on it, I felt it was a little top heavy, especially with any other coils. I usually operated with the 20m and 40m coils only. I also found the set screws often loose and needing tightening, which can be tricky as they can strip easily if you're not careful. I had it mounted on a Comet CP-5 mount on the rear tailgate of my mini-van, which put it quite high, very good for the radiation pattern, but susceptible to trees! The CP-5 is an ok mount, but I've since purchased a Diamond K400 and highly suggest it instead. It's much better built and stronger!

All of my review is in past tense because I've since switched to a Little Tarheel II screwdriver antenna. I did that, not because of something being wrong with the UHV-6 really, but because I wanted to be able to tune across the HF spectrum and not be limited to a set bandwidth. While the UHV-6 offers many coils for different bands, I didn't like having any more than 2 on at a time due to the height and strength of the antenna, especially since I kept the 40m coil on all the time.

However, the LT II costs quite a bit more, so they're really not in the same category in that area.

If you want a well designed, good performing and decently priced mobile HF antenna, the UHV-6 is a great option. If you want something a little more heavy duty, tunable across the entire band and are willing to spend more money, a screwdriver like a Little Tarheel II is a better option. The beauty of a LT or LT II is that you can use the Diamond K400 mount as well, so if you can place a UHV-6 somewhere on your vehicle using that mount, you can place a LT there as well.

Lars
K8LEC

K1ECW Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2005 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great product that does what it's designed to do - provide decent multiband HF / VHF / UHF operation at a modest price. Here's my experience:

I bought the Comet UHV-6 for use on the following HF bands 10-15-17-20-40 meters. I knew that the 80 meter would be so narrow banded that I didn't bother.

It took a couple of hours to assemble, mount, and tune the UHV-6 with my MFJ antenna analyzer. Initially I got great results on 10-15-20-40 but I couldn't get 17 meters to tune no matter what I did.

Ultimately, I used one of the extra 40 meter "stingers" on the 15 meter resonator and got it perfect.

The 17 meter resonator and 20 meter resonator were virtually indistinquishable except for a small label near the bottom. I'm convinced that I actually got two 20 meter resonators by mistake. I've written Comet and hope they replace the 15 meter resonator that I "converted" to 17 meter use.

Without using a tuner the 1.5 SWR or less gives the following bandwidths:

40 meter - 30 KHz
20 meter - 75 KHz
17 meter - full band
15 meter - 85 KHz
10 meter - 600 KHz

When I used the side mounted Yaesu auto tuner with my 897D, I cover all bands with a flat SWR. Also, the efficiency doesn't drop much at all.

I have it mounted on a Diamond heavy duty trunk lip mount on the hatch of my SUV. You don't need a grounding braid; but, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU GET A GOOD GROUND. I had to move the mount a couple of times to insure a good ground and a low SWR.

I have the 40 meter top resonator and three other resonators (i.e., 20, 17, & 10 meters) mounted in the collar / ring. I don't get too much motion on the highway but you probably shouldn't use over three resonators if you drive 80 mph or travel a lot of rough highways.

The 6 meter, 2 meter, and 70 cm portion of the antenna is OK too. Due to my particular mounting choice, 6 meters is harder to tune. I don't think this is generally the case for most operators. The 2 meter and 70 cm bands perform extremely well.

I opted for a separate Comet 2 meter / 70 cm antenna for a little extra gain. Unless you're looking for maximum range, the UHV-6 is more than adequate for the VHF / UHF bands.

If you want full coverage on all bands without a tuner, spend $500 on a mechanical screwdriver antenna. If you want decent HF / VHF coverage for a decent price (i.e., $135), this is for you. The optional resonators are a little more.

VE3KDF Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2004 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but 17m coil has high SWR  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I managed to tune up the 40m, 15m & 10m coils quickly & easily. Of course, the 40m BW is narrow (maybe only 10 to 15k for 1.5:1 SWR). If rain drops (or ice) collect on the antenna, it gets de-tuned on 40m (expected for a high Q match). For 15 & 10 BW is wide, >100k and several hundred k, respectively).
When I received the 20m & 17m coils, I installed them in place of the 15 & 10 coils. The 20m tuned up nicely (about 40k BW) but the 17m one would not give me acceptable SWR. Lowest SWR appeared in the middle of the band but it was >3:1. I couldn't find any SWR chart for the 17m coil from Comet so I suspect that this is typical. This will require an auto-tuner to operate with my FT857. I tried several combinations (17m coil alone, 40m + 17m, 17m + 20m, 40m+20m+17m) but the SWR was always the same.
As for set screws coming loose, I usually check by hand once a week. Once in a while I need to dig out the allen key. I did manage to partially strip the set screw on the collar that holds the 40m coil but after 9 months it's still hanging in there. So far it has survived one Canadian winter and speeds up to 130 km/h (80MPH) with no guy. It really hangs in there. The mount is a Diamond K400 on the hatch of a Mazda Precidia MX3.
Best DX so far.... South Korea on the drive home from work on 15m. Also worked UK on 40m.

K4PDM Rating: 2/5 Mar 1, 2004 12:17 Send this review to a friend
Flimsy with high SWR  Time owned: more than 12 months
I broke the base section twice on tree limbs--$40 each time.
Coils are extremely small and not efficient.
Set screws kept loosening up, and no matter what, I got high SWR on the low end of 2 meters.
Very narrowband on 40--I used a tuner.
It is an OK antenna if you can baby it, and if my rig did not have a SWR meter that functioned on 2 meters, I might not have known about the high SWR on that band.
I went back to Hamsticks and a dual-band antenna.

VA3BJD Rating: 5/5 Feb 29, 2004 21:14 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobile HF Antenna for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had this for 3 weeks now and the antenna performs very well. It has replaced an Outbacker, a dualband antenna and a 6M whip. Certainly cleaned up the look of the truck.

I use it with a 706 MKII and a RT-11 tuner. The antenna is mounted on a Stake-Hole mount drilled out to accept a PO mount.

The price is resonable compared to other HF antennas and it replaced three antennas. I run the 40M Coil and the 20M Coil. Plus have 2 M, 70cms and 6 Meters. 5 bands one antenna!

It is not comparable to a screwdriver or other "Larger" mobile antennas but is a good compromise.