Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Sennheiser HD 580 / HD 600 audiophile/professional headphones Help

Reviews Summary for Sennheiser HD 580 / HD 600 audiophile/professional headphones
Sennheiser HD 580 / HD 600 audiophile/professional headphones Reviews: 16 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $299 / 399
Description: The HD 580 and HD 600 are audiophile quality open dynamic hi-fi / professional stereo headphones. The advanced diaphragm design eliminates standing waves in the diaphragm material. 12 to 38,000 hz FLATLINE response provides natural, accurate, and exceptionally spatial sound. Can be connected directly to to hi/fi systems of the highest quality, in particular, dat, dcc, and cd players. An ideal choice for the recording engineer recording classical music.
More info: http://www.sennheiser.com/headphones/dynamic/dh_1d009.htm

You can write your own review of the Sennheiser HD 580 / HD 600 audiophile/professional headphones.

AE7US Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2014 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased   Time owned: more than 12 months
Very pleased with these headphones both in terms of comfort and superb audio quality. The plush, ear pads of the HD600's assure hours of operation with minimal discomfort--a real treat for the ears: especially if you are a CW operator.

WB3JGP Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2011 17:41 Send this review to a friend
I have a 595...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I don't see the 595 listed but it looks like the picture of the one(s) being reviewed here. Of the things I've gotten for ham radio in the last few months, the 595 headset is the best, hands down. They fit over your entire ear, and are super comfortable. The audio is great - not too much bass, and sound great with my portable music player too. There's no microphone and the earpiece cushion is made of some thin padded velvet fabric. I've tried a bunch of other headphones/earphones/ear buds since I was 10 years old and wasn't sure the over-the-entire-ear thing would work for me, but I was pleasantly surprised. Just my opinion. There, I said it.

N1XRR Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2010 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Amazing headphones, small differences between 580 and 600  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned a set of HD-580's for years and regret selling them when I did, been looking for another set ever since.

Although they seem small, I wanted to point out a few differences between the HD-580 and HD-600 model.

Both have an amazing range for audio of all kinds. I listened to all sorts of music and voice. I had a chance to sit down with some HD-600's last year and I do think they are worth the extra money (if you can even find a used set of HD-580's anymore). Both of these models are open-air, so you can hear whats going on around you. This gives you the best sound quality, but if you're in a noisy environment then you may want to look at the HD-280 Pro headphones.

The construction is the biggest difference. The HD-580's are mostly plastic with some metal for support here and there. The HD-600's are made mostly of carbon fiber with metal grills. The issue with the HD-580 design is that it starts to "creek" over time, since its mostly plastic. Not a huge issue, but if you have the habit of moving around a lot, the HD-600's will hold up for longer. One small advantage to the 600's is that they are physically lighter because of the carbon fiber.

The drivers on the HD-580 and HD-600 are identical, but the surrounding design is not. The result is that the HD-600's are a bit lacking on the bass side of things, but they are ahead on the mid's and high's. I actually like the 580's for music more than the 600's, but for voice the 600's may be better suited.

Both are equal on comfort, since they use the same overall design. This series is unfortunately very large, but what you get for the size is exceptional comfort. Nothing touches the ear for average sized ears. The padding on both are velour, so you don't get hot and sticky like the cheaper vinyl or plastic surrounds you usually get.

The audio cables are a weak point on these models. There is very little strain relief at the attachment point to the headphones, so expect to replace these every 3-5 years of daily use. Luckily Sennheiser made the cables easily replaceable, the cables pull straight out and new ones plug right in. Also, with the 580's, 600's and 650's the cables come out of the bottom of both can's and merge into one cable, they do tend to get in the way from time to time. Also, the cables are long. 10 feet if I remember correctly.

Make sure your listening device puts out a decent amount of power. These drivers are rated at 300 ohms, so they need considerably more power than most off-the-shelf headphones (which are usually 60-100 ohms)

A good alternative to the 580 and 600's is the HD-595. Has nearly the same audio quality, large velour pads and 10' cables. The cables come out of one side, not both (harder to tangle) and are less expensive than the HD-600's (can be had for $100-$150 less). Also, you can still buy the HD-595's new, where the HD-580's where discontinued a few years ago.

One more small note, Sennheiser will still sell you parts for the HD-580 and will continue to do so for many many years. They are well known for supporting their product lines. I would have no issues buying a set of used HD-580's and replacing the pads and cables with OEM parts if the price was right.

G8JNF Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2007 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought these headphones (Sennheiser HD 600) after reading the reviews here on eHam. I use them primarily with my Yaesu FT920 and find them very good.
The construction is 1st class and they come with a two year guarantee.

I wanted a pair that I could wear for a few hours at a time without any discomfort, and these fit the bill. They are extremely comfortable to wear, no constant adjustment or sweaty ears LOL! and the audio quality is superb on all modes AM, FM, SSB and CW. They put my Yaesu SP-8 speaker to shame.

What more could you ask for?

Regards
Duncan

AK2B Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2006 09:08 Send this review to a friend
All you'll ever need  Time owned: more than 12 months
As far as I'm concerned, these are the best headphones money can buy. They are not only great for communications but you can plug them into any audio device that you have an expect the same great results. Of course, this means nothing if you can't stand to have them on your head. These phones don't touch your ears. I can(and do) wear them for hours without the slightest fatigue. I know they are expensive but well worth it.

M0EAS Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2006 11:23 Send this review to a friend
HD600 - Great !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wasn't sure which headphones to choose but after reading the reviews and trying out the fit at a local store took the plunge.

Sounds come alive on my Icom-7400 and add a new dimension to my listening. Can hear more with these than with the SP-21 Icom speakers...Not bad for me as my hearing has taken a battering after years of going to concerts..! Comfort is excellent.

My concerns before I brought them about their high impedience resulting in low volume but those worries were unfounded. Sounds loud even with 25% volume.

Just a tip if you are in the UK. Retail for these are around 200-250.. Check out E-Bay. I paid 139 delivered within 2 days..

CYEOMANS Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2005 06:54 Send this review to a friend
My personal favorite headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
I review a lot of audio equipment and have found that my 580s are simply my favorite pair of headphones. Currently hooked up to an amp with some great cables, nothing has come close in terms of reproducing the sounds that I have heard with these headphones.

The spacial field is just so much larger than in-ear headphones and the sound is softer (although some people may not like that).

Here is my full review:

K2WO Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great Headphones!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently picked up a set of HD-580's and I agree with all of the previous reviews....they are great! I have used them on CW and SSB and the sound is very natural. There is no over-emphasis of Bass, Mid-Range or treble, they seem very well balanced. They are comfortable and can be worn for hours without discomfort. They seem extremely well-made, with top-quality components and best of all, parts are readily available from Sony. Oh, and they are great for use with an iPod or your home stereo. They fold up nicely and they even come with a nice carrying bag.

PA1HR Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2005 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Very solid with an excellent sound  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

Even after several hours contesting this headphone still gives you very good comfort. No strain or what so ever.

Very solidly build with high quality parts.

The sound is perfect.

Highly recommended!

Very nice combination with a Heil microphone, HI!

KQ6EA Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2004 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Amazing multi-use headphones  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently sold a pair of JRC ST-3 phones because they were mono, and I don't like fumbling around for adapters when switching between radios. I'd owned the Sennheisers for a year or so, and decided to try them on one of my radios one day. I was really amazed at how nice they sound, and how comfortable they are to wear for extended periods.