Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Ranger RCI5054DX Help

Reviews Summary for Ranger RCI5054DX
Ranger RCI5054DX Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $325
Description: Six meter mobile, all mode - USB - LSB - AM - FM and CW
More info: http://rangerusa.com/rci-5054dx.html

You can write your own review of the Ranger RCI5054DX.

K8QV Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
No problems at all  Time owned: months
I wanted 6 meters but didn't want to get rid of my HF rig just because it only went as far as 10 meters, so I got one of these years ago. Works fine (100 watts) and have worked many 59/599 during band openings to anywhere in the world. Hooked up to a moxon antenna. Can't complain, and the price is reasonable.

KE3JH Rating: 0/5 Jun 13, 2014 18:04 Send this review to a friend
keep away  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got one new and returned it A second one was sent to me. Gets way to hot even on low power. The fm was off freq on the recieve till it warms up. Has drift on ssb. The 2nd one the lights on the display went OFF. I lost 37.00 shipping the first one back and they wanted to send me a 3rd radio!!! really? thanks to pay pal I got my money back. Wish I could rate it lower than a 0. Ive had cbs that were better made in the 70s.

W3QY Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2008 09:04 Send this review to a friend
decent 6m rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 40+ years of HF activity I decided to give 6m a try.I bought an old FT-620B and duct taped a 6m dipole to the attic rafters..to my surprise I worked about 25 states and 6 DXCC countries.I decided after a year or so to get something a little more modern and got a refurbished RCI-5054DX-100 watt version.I also got a 3 el.Cushcraft beam which sits about 4'above the peak of the roof.While my time on 6m has been limited by business travel, this summer I've added about a dozen more DXCC countries on both SSB/CW and made my first EU SSB QSO's with good reports.I've also added many new states and grid squares so my experience has been a good one.
I wish the manual were a little more detailed,
especially when working CW.I spent one good EU opening trying to work a 9H1 station only to find I wasn't zero beat on his frequency. I later found out that when working CW if you hear them while in the CW mode and then switch to LSB and still hear them you're pretty close to zero beat..and the clarifier(RIT)range of +/- 2.5 khz can get you pretty close but it is only a receive clarifier and will not change the transmit frequency.
I have not had the trouble with the display lights going out as earlier models had..after two years they are still bright.
The fact that it's all-mode USB/LSB/CW/FM/AM is a plus..it fills a niche for guys like me who want to see what 6m activity is like..and quite frankly, my HF gear has sat idle through most of the summer while the Ranger has been on during those days when I've been at home.

EX_AA5JG Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 23:22 Send this review to a friend
Decent 6m rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these earlier this summer and was surprised with how good it worked! The receiver was pretty good on it and it heard things just fine. It also got good reports on the transmit quality. The only complaint that I had was that the power control didn't do that much. I couldn't get the 100 watt model to less than 50 watts or so, which didn't work very well for my mobile plans.

Overall a good way to get on 6m. A much better deal than a MFJ 9406 for not much more money. I think you can get a refurbished 25 watt model right now for less than $200! Go for it, 6m is THE band.

73s John AA5JG

KB3PXZ Rating: 4/5 Aug 15, 2008 06:04 Send this review to a friend
RCI 5054dx 100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like WB5UDI I purchased a refurb model from Ranger I got the 100watt model though. I have only tried it twice using a 2 meter dipole as the antenna and have not heard a thing yet. Wrong antenna I know but I figured it was close enough to give it a try. I have a dipole coming this week and will try it out over the weekend. The radio certainly doesn't compare with any of my Icom or Yaesu gear but seems decently made for the price ($249) and the controls are so simple it threw me for a minute.(You mean all I have to do is turn the RF power knob to increase output ???) Any way I'm giving it a "4" for now based on the fact that you don't need a manual to operate it.

WB5UDI Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2008 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Just purchased a refurbished 5054DX and am enjoying it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My previous FT-680 died thus ending my first year of being on 6 meters. So after researching my options, I chose to buy a 'refurbished' 5054DX directly from Ranger.

When I sent an email to them asking a few questions about the rig, their customer service answered my email in three (3) minutes....yes, that's right....THREE MINUTES!!!!!..........that was simply amazing. She (Anna) replied to further questions and after talking to Charlie, my rig was on its way.
I chose not to purchase the 100w version, both for money and practical reasons--since I previously only had 10 watts with my FT-680, I knew that low power was adequate when there is an good opening on 6 meters. Having 25 watts with the 5054DX would be a nice boost----plus, I could always add an amplifier later if I so chose.

I have had the rig for only 2 days now---but have already worked other hams east and west of me (DM79, Denver, CO) with great signal and audio reports. I have both a small M2 - HO Loop and a vertical on the top of my roof at 35 feet. A modest installation, but it works.
I will revisit this review after I have had some more experience with this rig.....but it works as advertised, and is easy to understand.

So far, I am extremely pleased with my purchase.

Stan
WB5UDI

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2008 13:56 Send this review to a friend
NOT BAD!!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used the 5054 DX(25 watt)in a mobile setup along with a PAR OA-50 & a Mirage 160 watt amplifier for about 6 mounths.The setup worked GREAT & the audio reports were always positive. For a MONO BAND 6 meter rig & for the money it was a GREAT little setup.It's NOT a Kenwood TS-60 or ICOM 706 series rig but it did what I paid for it to do. }:>)

Clayton
W4KVW

KB3LSR Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2006 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Good, Affordable Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I've owned for about a year now, so I thought I could write a good review. This 25W 6M radio has worked very well. While the band was open this past July, I talked all across the country with only 25W of power and an internal, mag-mount whip for an antenna (live in an apartment). If you want to get into 6M, you can do it with this rig without breaking the bank. the RCI 5054DX-100 is the 100W version of this radio, but this one can be had for much cheaper. I got mine off e-bay where they occasionally can be seen, just keep an eye out. I've had very good reports during band openings and I do not think you will be disappointed!

KH6ITY Rating: 5/5 Aug 6, 2006 18:01 Send this review to a friend
A Top Notch Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Aug 5, 2006
I purchased my 5054 about one year ago. It is a wonderful radio. It's easy to use - you don't need to get out the instructions to program it. It operates all modes. I operate quite often on AM, when I'm not on SSB. My usual AM rig is an old Gonset G-50 tube rig from the 1950's. The 5054 works very well on AM, so I'm able to switch over from SSB to check AM on 50.4 Mhz to see if there is any action, rather than warm up the Gonset. Friends have told me the audio quality on AM from the 5054 is outstanding. I also use it quite often on CW and find the receive filtering to be just right. I had a small problem with the rig after about nine months. I called the factory and spoke to the service department. Ranger has to have the best service department I have ever delt with. They sent me a pre-paid UPS label for free shipping. Have you ever seen Kenwood or Yaesu do that? The rig was repaired and back to my home in record time. My last Yaesu repair took twelve weeks. They even called after the repair to insure I was satisfied. I have been so happy with my 5054 I asked my school (I'm a high school electronics teacher) to puchase one for my classroom. I have not used the 5054 on FM, but I'd assume it works just as well as it does on SSB/AM/ and CW. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about this outstanding rig. I'm listed on QRZ.com. 73's Larry McCartin kh6ity Brownsville, TX kh6ity@aol.com

KL1PL Rating: 4/5 Sep 14, 2005 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
While there are better 6m rigs, for the $$$ I have invested these radios work really well. Have two, one DX100 and one 25watt model. Both very nice rigs. No PL is not an issue here as there are no 6m repeaters in my area. Have seen no failures at all.
Bought both off EBay (used) for about half the MSRP. So for less than $300 I have two 6m All Mode rigs. Shop around!