Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Ranger RCI5054DX Help

Reviews Summary for Ranger RCI5054DX
Ranger RCI5054DX Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $325
Description: Six meter mobile, all mode - USB - LSB - AM - FM and CW
More info: http://rangerusa.com/rci-5054dx.html

You can write your own review of the Ranger RCI5054DX.

N7QF Rating: 3/5 Feb 4, 2002 15:54 Send this review to a friend
Not for serious 6 m people  Time owned: months
Have you ever worked for long periods of time with 'raster' tuning ?
Have you ever worked with a tuning system that requires you to move a cursor
to the digit you want to move and mess around to get tuned to the freq you want ?
Have you ever tried to work 6 m dx with 10 W CW ? It might work when the band is wide
open but otherwise forget it.
The list goes on and on with this one, - unfortunately. It could have been a good one if
the engineers were aware of our needs.
Have you noticed the number of them being sold used lately ? I know why.

KC7RJJ Rating: 2/5 Feb 4, 2002 13:02 Send this review to a friend
Cheap Feel But good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This Radio Feels like a Cheap Radio
Kinda Unstable ( needs to be reset alot )
hard to program splits... Sounds good get good Reports works great
roger beep? is that a tad too much hihi
needs more memory slots
could use a better offset function

all in all i guess its an ok rig for the price

WX4V Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2002 22:25 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this radio last weekend and strung up a 6 meter dipole at 36ft. Worked a GM0 today at 18:00 utc. Good radio for getting on 6 meters without having to spend big bucks. I wish it had a little bit more output (25 pep on SSB), but It let me work Europe and a handful of states on the East Coast in a little less then a week. I would recommend this radio to anyone wanting to get on 6 meters and not wanting to spend the big bucks for any of the Big Four (Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom and Ten-Tec) 73 es gud DX Tim WX4V EM95fr

KC2SSB Rating: 4/5 Dec 21, 2001 10:32 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There isn't much I can add about this radio, except for my own opinions. I had similar results as the last reviewer on this radio for SSB power out. The FM power was a good 10 watts and the SSB reached 30+. The day of this review was my first day of having it on the air, and with just casual tuning and listening, I managed 2 contacts into the UK with no problem.

The only reason I give it a 4 is because of the lack of PL capability right from the factory. This is a modern rig, manufactured in the 21st century, when PL repeaters are standard. Here in NJ you'd be hard pressed to find a repeater on ANY band that doesn't use PL. I can't imagine why they wouldn't make this standard (other than to get more of your money!) If this was as simple as many 2 meter rigs, you'd be able to open the radio, or better yet, remove a small panel, and insert a chip/card to get PL tones. With this radio, it requires soldering right to the board itself. Another thing that causes me to give it a 4 is the fact that they haven't tried hard to change the outside from the appearance of the old RCI-2950. It even still retains the "Roger Beep" button (although I don't know if it works and I don't intend to try it) and the PA function, usually only seen on CB's. I DO like the Cool-Blue display though. Adds a nice "ambiance" to my shack. :) I added an Astatic 575M6 amplified microphone to the radio and it seems to make a difference on the audio over the "stock" microphone.

Over all, a great rig. If you intend mainly to use it for FM, remember that you'll probably have to add a PL board. If you aren't into SSB, CW or AM, I'd advise you buy one of the many 6m FM rigs available for cheaper price. If you are interested in doing more than FM, this is a great rig to have at a great price (Paid less than $300 at AES). I intend to try out the AM feature if I am ever available when there's an AM net on the air.

WA6RZW Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2001 22:56 Send this review to a friend
I like this little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the RCI-5454DX in early October (2001). I had never been on 6M before but got interested through comments on the local 2M activity. When I first used the radio I realized that I needed PL tone to connect through the local 6M repeater. The 5054 does not have built in PL tone, but Ranger says you can add an optional encoder. I pulled the connection infomation off the Ranger web site. However to connect the PL encoder you must solder directly to several points on the PBC. The board is totally surface mount technology with no large tie points. I elected to skip the PL tone mod. I have used the RCI-5054DX on SSB, and have had great fun and results using an indoor antenna. I connected the 5054 to the sound card in the computer and was able to make a meteor scatter contact with the WSJT software (QST Dec 2001). I did have to make the transmit audio and PTT connection through the microphone. It only has audio out on the back panel. This is a great starter rig for VHF SSB/CW activity.

WA6RZW
Colorado

AA6DD Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2001 23:09 Send this review to a friend
Very good performance at a very good price.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the Ranger 6M all mode transciever which came with a mic and mobile mounting bracket. The majority of controls I found to be very intuitive. I did have to consult the manual to program the ten channel memory.
Using a bird watt meter and a dummy load, the Ranger output power measured 10 watts on FM, CW, & AM. SSB output was over 25 watts. My measurements showed that the radio met or exceeded the manufacturer's specs. For example: receiver sensitivity on FM was .14 uv for 20 dB quieting. This is excellent sensitivity(see manufacturers specs at Ranger Communications, Inc. web site).
On Tues(7-24) eve I used the Ranger transceiver to run the Califoria 6 Meter Club SSB(50.150Mhz). We had 22 checkins that evening from all over S.CA. Everyone gave me a good signal report.
The next day, six meters was open on single and double hop sporadic E. I first worked Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Texas, New Mexico and the state of Washington. These were all SSB contacts. I also worked New Mexico on AM(50.400) and FM(50.300).
The ranger is a Tiawanese manufactured transciever. Its most outstanding features are its receiver sensitivity and it quietness on AM reception. The final and driver stages are series pass transistor modulated for AM. The receiver has an excellent noise blanker and ANL along with a good operating mode squelch. On Sun(7-29-01) morning I used the Ranger to run the California six meter club's AM Round Table net(50.400). We had 12 checkins that morning from all over S.CA. Everyone liked the high-level AM modulation.
Most ham retailers are selling the Ranger for $299.
It will surprise many old timers as well as new hams that a radio performing as well as the All Mode 6 Meter Ranger can be sold at this excellent price.

CUon 6M Will/AA6DD
(Technical Chairman/S.CA 6M Club)