Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Butternut HF9V Help

Reviews Summary for Butternut HF9V
Butternut HF9V Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $399.00
Description: Work 9 popular bands; 80 thru 6 meters with a single, highly efficient vertical radiator only 26 ft. tall!
More info: http://www.bencher.com

You can write your own review of the Butternut HF9V.

W4IIV Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 10:27 Send this review to a friend
tough as nails, great performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a Butternut HV-9V a few years back and mounted it on the roof of my home.
The antenna has done very well for me the last few years.
Friday night we had sustained 80+ MPH winds in Waynesboro Va that brought down trees, and knocked out power for a few days.
My Butternut HV-9V was NOT damaged, and i was able to use it when i got power.
The HV-9V was hit by trees, and high winds, but it is still up with no damage.
AMAZING!

N6TEA Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2012 20:05 Send this review to a friend
Magic Wand with 60 radials 65' long  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My HF9V is installed in a bare field, void of any ground clutter, 115' wide at the shack and 455' deep; an ideal site. The 60 radials are just laying on the ground as is the Davis-Buryflex coax. I used a DXE stainless steel radial plate. There is a ferrite ring below the mast through which the 75 ohm matching line is wrapped about four turns. There is a 9' ground rod connected to the radials at the base. The antenna is ground mounted in the factory MPS sleeve. The base is surrounded by a jumbo sprinkler vault to allow removal of the mast and wrap around of the radials, once a year to remove the weeds. I rated the antenna a "5" because of the signal reports that I receive (typically 5/9+ with an Ameritron AL-80B running at 800W-1000W PEP SSB voice as needed)to include significant DX stations up to 8,000 mi. away when the band is in. I have received similarly high signal reports 100W barefoot. If you have room for at least 35' radials, and can put down 40 or more, you may enjoy similar results. If you cannot, then consider above ground mounting with tuned radials. If you cannot provide for adequate radials of either design, then you may be better served to select a different antenna. My situation is unusally condusive to a near perfect installation for a ground mounted vertical with enough radials to allow for a very low take-off angle. With a Palstar AT2KD differential tuner, the entire bandwidth is available on all bands from 80-6. If you can mount it well, I believe that you will enjoy this antenna.
Tnx - - M
N6TEA
Mike Slate

KF7RNL Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Most bang for the size  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my butternut HF9V up for about 5 months now, and wow the stations I am able to receive and talk to. I recall at one time, I had a station on Argentina and a station in Alaska on the same frequency and was talking to both on a 100 watts! This antenna works DX from Europe one way and Australia the other way. Take care of it, feed it well and set up a good ground counterpoise and it will reward you with some remarkable DX. Lube the connecting pieces with a good conductive grease.

No need for an antenna analyzer, just tune it the way the factory recommends and the SWR should drop to less then 1.5. I tuned mine and I use a auto tuner. I have less then 1.2 across all the bands.

I live in a HOA restricted area, so I am unable to put up giant beams on towers as are most people or dipoles. My goal by this September is to work 200 countries with 100 Watts on SSB and I am almost halfway there.

Matthew Kent
KF7RNL

KD8EZU Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2011 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna but needs an analyzer to tune initially  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My first and main antenna which is still hung up in the tree's ( at about 35 feet ) is a G5RV. It has served me well since I got my ticket in Feb, 2007. I would still be using it had not this Butternut HF9V "fell into my lap" for about $50 dollars. I hammered a 8 Ft copper coated rod into the groung and put 40 35 Ft. radials to help enhance radiation a ground conductivity. I initally had the antenna about 18 inches off the ground but was told ( by the Butternut forum group) to ground mount it with the " Q" coil no more that 2 inches off the ground. I then cut the antenna removed the antenna from the galvanized pipe and groung mounted it ( "Q coil is just about touching the ground but not quite touching) lashing it to the remaining " stub" of the galvanized pipe that was cemented in in the ground ( remember this sentence ). I then tried to tune it but could not manage better than 2.0 to 1 on 40 and 80 meters and the rest of the bands were " don't even ask" ( 3.0 + to 1 or worse!) The only band it seemed to work better on than the G5RV was 40 meters. I did all the tuning according to the manual but still no luck. The antenna was lousy. It was not until, by accident when upright AND supported by its four guy ropes that while tuning I noticed the VSWR that was previously terrible, was now excellent.I noticed that when I lashed it back to the cemented galvanized support pipe that the VSWR immediately went sky-high again. VOILA!,it turned out ( DUHHHH!!) that the short piece of pipe was detuning the entire antenna.... stupid me. I then wrapped rubber around the support piece of galvanized support pipe ( insulating it ) and lashed back the antenna ( with super big cable ties) to this support piece. Now I had decent VSWR on all bands except 17 meters, but still knew I could do better. Once again I followed the instructions in the manual but as, I'd get one tuned, it would affect the others. Back and forth I went to the antenna, so many times that there was a 'wear path" in the grass. Finally a fellow ham KC2MIB , took mercy on me and generously sent his MFJ antenna analyzer for me to use. With this analyzer it took me about four hours to do what two WEEKS had not done.....TUNE THE ANTENNA ON ALL BANDS. All bands are now between 1.7 to 1.2 to 1 with the exception of 17 meters which is 2.0 to 1 ( and I'm told that I'm lucky to get that ) .

How does the antenna work?

Well I can tell you that it's noiser, but in a GOOD way. What do I mean? You simply hear more that before. I was doing a A/B comparison between it and the G5RV and the signal strength difference is in most cases 1.3 to 2 Db . Because it is Omnidirectional ( with no directional lobes as a wire antenna or beam has ) you hear from all directions. I hear stations that others with Dipoles do not hear. On transmit I have worked more stations ( particularily Japan, than I ever did with my G5RV. It has great use on 10m and 6 meters which were just about impossible on the G5RV . Oh and all of this WITHOUT having to use an antenna tuner. No power being lost there. I can even use 17 meters without one but it probably would help. Now 80M really is resonant within a very ( VERY!) narrow window of about 100hz so if you live on 75\80 you'll need a tuner or have to make an antenna specially for that band.

The constuction of this antenna is first rate. Heavy duty tuning coils ( no wasteful traps ) and grade A aluminum. I do have mine guyed off , halfway mainly because of the tremendous winds we have in the mountains of WV that in my are blow 30-60 mph for hours on end during the winter months. Most people say it does not need guying.

Do you need radials?

In my opinion ( and Bencher's) ABSOLUTELY. The antenna is end fed and that means that one half of this "vertical Dipole " is the earth. With the earth being a piss poor conductor, you need to help it with not only a ground rod, but with radials. Bencher sells a counterpoise kit that many claim works well ( with just 8 radial ) but I'd go with a minumun of 16 or 30+ ft. radials being 26 or 30 feet long each. I eventually hope to get up to 80 once Spring comes and my 40 odd radials ( #20 wire stapeled into the the lawn ) have just about disappeard and I can run my riding lawnmower over them without contact. It is however tedious to initially lay them and staple them. Ross Radio's staples make even that do-able, and are really easy to use, affordable, and stay put. Great service from Ross also.

Is a analyzer needed for tuning?

OK, I will get flamed here but YES!. Without an analyzer the interaction between one tuning coil and the other will drive you to drinking. Very frustrated to get one band tuned and the a slight tune of another throws the overall tuning out of whack. The problem is, antenna analyzers are expensive and aside from antenna builders, what do you do with it afterwards? Borrowing one from a club or another ham is the only way. I tell you this, without an analyzer , YOU WILL spend days trying to get this antenna tuned. It is worth it though once you get resonance on most bands .

In summary, to have one space saving antenna ( well with radials you need space ) that does 80 to 6 meters without a tuner ( 80M needs tuner ) is just so nice. It is expensive new but lots are available used, probably because people gave up on tuning them!. You must run radials and the more the better.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2011 15:21 Send this review to a friend
160 through 6M  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We have a vacation home in WV at 2300 feet and decided to get a good vertical which could also work on 160 meters. The 160 meter kit detuned 80 meters somewhat but was able to bring it back. The ground in WV is rather rocky but were able to lay a few radials and also tie into the water supply line. I have no problem at all working CW on 160 meters and since we use a Flex Radio 5000A with the second receiver, we put up a 43 foot DX Engineering vertical so as to work dual diversity reception which makes a big difference in contesting. The antennas are only 125 feet apart but work well indeed. With my old Heathkit Roller tuner, we can now use dual diversity on all bands. The Butternut seems expensive but if it works, buy it.

VA3DTP Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2011 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Very nice vertical HF antenna all around, about 26 feet tall. Easy to assemble, instructions supplied were very clear. Solid construction. Covers HF bands 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40, 60, and 80 meters. SWR generally 1.50 on resonance or better on HF bands. Transmission and reception is excellent. Note: Results acheived with no tunning (but assembeled exactly per manufacturesr instructions) only (4) #6 AWG ground radials installed and (2) 3/4" 10 foot ground rods. Fine tunning and setup slated for this summer. Purchased brand new, and was worth the money !

VK5KLT Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2010 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Seriously good multiband vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months

I've found the Butternut vertical a consistently good all-round DX performer over a period of now 3 years. The HF9V is my principal HF antenna at my space constrained QTH and this antenna has allowed me to earn my DXCC during the past couple of years while the sun spot cycle and solar flux has been stuck and languishing around its cyclic minimum.

The antenna is elevated roof mounted in the middle of a large expansive galvanised steel decking roof ground-plane that's some 9m above ground level, and augmented with 60 insulated radial wires that capacitively couple to the metal roof. I use a DX Engineering stainless steel radial plate and tilt-over mount to fix the antenna to the roof via a short stub mast. A description of the mounting installation and coax feed details can be found posted on my qrz.com page.

My only complaint about the antenna construction is the relatively poor clamp hardware supplied, and the rather flimsy decoupler stub wires and fixing arrangement that do not retain their tensioning. These are minor points that are easily fixable by the resourceful ham.

I machined up a thick polyethylene doughnut disc that slides over the vertical element to attached a set of guys just above the 30m coil assembly. This provides adequate structural support and has ensured survival through some strong winds and storms.

The VSWR bandwidth covers the whole of the 40m, 20m, 15m and the higher bands. An antenna tuner is used on 80m where the bandwidth is narrow.

In summary, the late Don Newcomb W0DN and the Butternut team have got a lot of things right with this design; it is a competent performer and a highly recommended vertical antenna!

Leigh
VK5KLT

AE5QU Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2010 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Best Performing Vertical on the Market  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the HF9V installed for three years now and believe I can give it and honest evaluation.
The antenna is not difficult to assemble if you take your time during the construction, and do some pre-planing prior to that. "Sort it out before you start". An antenna analyzer is not mandatory, but I do recommend you utilize one if at all possible. Your tuning time will be cut down drastically. My HF9V is ground mounted with 21 radials. I have found that at least 8 radials is a must. Just make them as long as you can, as straight as you can. You wont see any significant improvemnts over 21 radials until you get to 36 or more. So don't get radial crazy if you have decent ground to work with. However the first 8 to 12 are the most critical and a absolute must. My ground mounting was accomplished by driving a 1-1/4" X 48" piece of "Hard Draw" copper tube into the ground until only 8" was left exposed. Around the copper tube I dug out a 24" X 24" square about 4" down. Into this I placed a home brew radial plate simular to one offered by DX Engineering. The lower section of the antenna that is utilized for mounting was slid into the copper tube and adjusted for proper depth by triming the copper tube a bit and filling the copper tube with pea gravel and soil to fine tune things. After this I drilled (one) hole through the copper tune and antenna mounting tube and installed (one) 10 X 32 X 2" bolt & (two) nuts with washers for both security and an attach point to the radial plate via a jumper wire. I installed (two) 8' ground rods and attached them to the radial plate. At this point the radials were layed out , which were contructed of 14 AWG THHN copper wire, and buried in trenchs 4" deep. The radial were attached to the radial plate, and all trenchs and holes were covered up. The remainder of the contruction was carried out in accordance with the manufactures instructions.

The antenna has been through many South Texas storms with winds exceeding 70 mph. I have had no failures at all. The antenna performs well on all bands, with exceptional performance on 20 & 40 meters. It can handle legal limit with no problem at all. The HF9V is not the least expense vertical by any stretch, but I believe it to be on par with the Hy-Gain Hy-Tower as far as performance goes. Its not a beam, but it is a lot of bang for the buck when you consider the cost of towers, rotors, etc.

73's
Kevin Santine - AE5QU

ON4YVO Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2010 00:51 Send this review to a friend
Performance on 80 meter  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I tried the antenna during the UBA winter contest on 80m. I also set up a G5RV antenna as I knew its performance and I did contests with this one in the past.
With the HF9V I could not work stations near me, about 40 km, which I could contact easily with the G5RV. But, suddenly I heard an hongarian station with the HF9V which I could not copy with the G5RV. I worked several others stations from France, Netherlands with the HF9V where the G5RV let me down.
The HFxV does need radians.

G0VQW Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2010 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would have given it a 5/5 if 17 and 12 meters would play ball!I just cant get them below 2:1 swr and when compared to a dipole the dipole is 4 s units better on RX when compared with the butternut!(on 17 meters)
Other bands work well.I tend not to us it on 80 meters prefering my inverted dipole for that band,but 40 meters up and it works fine.I have installed about 100 radials each about 5 meters long and keep adding as time goes by.
I would recomend this antenna but feel it is quite expensive.Also I think it needs to be guyed.I have used nylon rope for this and it stands up to the UK weather pretty well.I should add that it's not the easiest antenna to put together.The instructions and photo's were not that clear and for some time I did use the antenna with the 17 and 12 meter capacity strips not attached to the correct place.(When I corrected that it didn't make much difference)
Sandy