Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Kenwood AT230 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood AT230
Kenwood AT230 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $fc-301
Description: Manual Tuner. 160 to 10 MX.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood AT230.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2015 13:21 Send this review to a friend
One of, if not the BEST  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 230 was formerly employed with my local radio club. It saw limited use, mainly for Field Day. So far it has tuned everything I've hooked to it including but not limited to: dipoles, windoms, end feds, G5RV's, long wires & random wires.

I've been impressed with it since the first time I used it, super easy to operate, will tune up quick once you get familiar with it. I did install backlights behind the meter, just for personal preference.

All & all, an excellent old tuner. Exactly what I expect from Kenwood. If you're in the market for a manual tuner, don't think twice about this one. Get it!

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2015 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Second owner, have used for 3+ years on different rigs including a TS-530. Easy to use, quick to tune and seems pretty accurate. No problems. One of the better tuners around even today.
Joe - N5XJT

KG3Z Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2014 05:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent piece of equipment  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used this transmatch for the past 5 years, switching it between my Kenwood hybrids and a FT-920 at 100W. It matches my home-brew dipole - 180' fed by about 125' 450 ohm window wire at 50'agl. nearly flat on all bands except 160M. On 160m, because of the length it matches to about 1.5-1.7. Once another 80' is added I expect better matching on 160m. It does take some getting used to since the X & R tune controls are a bit sensitive, but it's worth the patience. Quite a bit of capability in a well executed small footprint design. This piece will not leave the shack.

WX4O Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2010 18:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned one with my TS520 set up 15+ years ago. At 100 watts it worked perfectly everytime. Wish I hadn't sold it.

G8FSO Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2010 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Nice piece of kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought a second hand one of these from a G8 who had 3 of them, (Strange but true.) and I paid £100 for it, but it's like brand new.

Firstly I have to agree that they are very sensitive when using the dials, but once mastered they are a delight.

Secondly even though i got no instructions with mine, they are available online, but to be honest, it's very easy to use anyhow.

Thirdly it's typical Kenwood insofar as the quality of the product.

Theres not much more to add, other than a Palstar AT300 has made way for this, and judging by my experience so far, the AT230 won't be going anywhere.

G7WBB Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2009 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my faithfull 230 for more than 4 years now and can safely say its going nowhere!!!
It tunes anything from the odd bit of wire thru to my MA6V to "zero" even though its sensitive on adjustment the knack is soon learned and tuning becomes a doddle!!!!! If you want a good solid reliable tuner then this is the one to lookout for, although they are getting a little scarce on the market now they are well worth the money if you can find a good one....

KC9MLL Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 12:20 Send this review to a friend
SPOT ON!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was at a friends house, and saw this little gem.
I convinced him that I needed it more than he did. hi hi
I was having a small problem with 80 meters.
Just couldn't get my 2000 to load up the upper half on that band. The antenna just wasn't quite right.
But now, it's a snap! Definately an oldie but a goodie!
Easy to operate. The manual was easy to understand! I am impressed!
If you can get one, do it!

G8LIK Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2007 07:45 Send this review to a friend
Golden oldie  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Thanks to ebay I picked up a couple of these at good prices to give my TS120 series transceivers their own tuner needed for 20 metres.Despite the age of these -internally the one opened up looked as good as new,ideal for 100W type rigs and so much better build than my old MFJ 948 previously used with trepidation.Quite heavy,solid case and no riveted UHF sockets.A good looker too...though my wife may disagree :) A good buy!

M0ECZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2006 06:17 Send this review to a friend
A well built piece of kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my AT-230 on ebay after reading reviews on it here on eham.
I paid over the odds for it at a Buy it Now price of £125, but I needed an ATU quickly and didnít want to but new as I donít think modern build quality can match the more ďmatureĒ models.
All in all, I am please with my purchase. I run a TS-2000 into a G5RV and there are parts of some of the bands that the TS-2000ís internal tuner just canít tune (if it canít get a good match, it just gives up and instead of giving the best match it can, it switches itself out of circuit!!). I have found that the AT-230 has been able to tune the G5RV well enough to enable me to transmit on most bands from 80m through 10m.
The AT-230 is a nice, well built piece of kit and I am pleased to own one.

G7WGX Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2006 10:28 Send this review to a friend
good tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 3 Kenwood 230's and I keep selling them thinking I can find one better but I cant seem to find one any better for the low amount of money they are now second hand so I am going to keep this one hopefully as they are very good they are very sensitive when tuning but you cant have every thing this one is a keeper if you see one get it as some of the new ones are not as good.