Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | Kenwood AT230 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood AT230
Kenwood AT230 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $fc-301
Description: Manual Tuner. 160 to 10 MX.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood AT230.

W7DDD Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2004 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful Tuner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one of these units on eBay to go with my Kenwood 830S. I knew I'd need it because of my potpouri of home-brew antennas. I now have 2 "store-bought" antennas, but my main all-bander was a Marconi long wire with 70 ft + 30 ft + 20 ft legs, crazy angles, kind of sloping from my roof to a fence post, with a 10-15 foot lead-in. The main part of the antenna is a 70 ft Radio Shack #14 copper wire. The feed line is an insulated piece of maybe #18 or 20 aircraft wire I bought on a spool by the pound from Boeing surplus. It's my main 40-80-160 meter antenna. I work all these bands.

The Kenwood tuner tames this "dog's breakfast" of a sky-wire pretty near down to flat (seems to depend somewhat on rain/temp.) I use it everyday; it's always operational. My signal reports are usually "very nice signal." I couldn't begin to explain what antenna I was using to my contacts. (They're always swinging their beams around in my direction!) It can tune my A-99 10M vertical easily onto 20 meters. I wonder if I shouldn't try for 80, or even 160! If it's a bad day, I have to struggle down to a SWR of 2.0, but usually, I can make anything a flat 1:1.

This is a wonderful tuner. It's big, rugged, heavy, dependable. I can't imagine being without it. Not ever. I'm sure it would tune my rain gutters or bedsprings; maybe even my water pipes or model train tracks.

ON4MGY Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2003 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Great tuner  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the AT-230 together with my TS-830 and I really like it. It is very easy to tune even very strange impedances from antennes and it also has an antenna switch and RF/SWR meter in it.
It has everything my DAIWA CNW-420 has but I prefer the KENWOOD.
Great job Kenwood !!

ON5ZO Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2003 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Usefull tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found this unit second hand for 100/$. It was a bit rusty on the outside (but pristine on the inside) so I removed the rust and paint with sandpaper and spraypainted it; it looks like new now, and smelled like new for a couple of weeks, hi!

Other than a tuner, I also had a power meter and A/B/dummy coax switch with this purchase.
When it comes to tuning, I have been able to present 50ohms to the rig in all situations I used it for.

This one will never leave my shack, or at least not permanently...

- ON5ZO

ON4VP Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2001 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Good tuner + antenna switch power meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Not only you get a nice tuner, but besides that you can switch between two 50 Ohms antennas and an extra longwire antenna. If connected, you can load against a dummy load to. Choose between "trough" or via "matcher", read out the SWR, power (fwd and ref).

I use it togheter with my TS-530 but you can use it with any transceiver. I had one before, sold it but recently found another and will never sell it again.

The hardware is of good quality, and power can be handled more than 200 watts for shure. Never tried 1 KW as the ZL-station did, HI.

A very nice piece of equipment right there on the shelf !

ZL3AG Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2001 16:47 Send this review to a friend
Good versatile tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the AT230 for 18 years. It initially came to the shack as an accessory to the TS830S and SP230. I found it could almost load into anything, and added greatly to the versatility of my station.

Well the TS830 is long gone. It was replaced with a TS430S 15 years ago and still is in the set up now that I have an IC 746. It allows the Icom to work to really bad matches and also follows a FL2500 amplifier. Yes it will handle 1Kw ( not on 160) as long as you do not change the switches when doing it.

These units are so cheap now, keep one or get one. It is really handy on the shelf.

I intend adding a PEP ability to the power measuring in the future and recalibrating the meters.

( I still have the SP230, it has a homebrew +13V supply for the IC746.)