Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Miracle Whip Help

Reviews Summary for Miracle Whip
Miracle Whip Reviews: 68 Average rating: 3.9/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: The all-band rig-mounted whip for the FT-817 (and lots of other radios too...)
More info: http://www.miracleantenna.com/miracleWhip.htm

You can write your own review of the Miracle Whip.

KJ4NWZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Miracle Whip QRP Antenna User Forum of FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
To all Miracle Whip owners and users. I searched for a group site on fb for the MW but could not find one, so I started one. All are welcome to join. I need some help with my mayonnaise antenna too.

N4QA Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2013 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Fair receiving antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perhaps not the classic Miracle Whip, mine appears to be somewhat different from commonly described units:

Copy & paste...

No QSOs as yet but have received several RBN spots while CQing at 5 watts out on 20 meters CW.

Does work as a fair receiving antenna, used next to my easy chair in the sunroom w/ no counterpoise.

It is what it is, as they say...

Bill, N4QA

KB1VXP Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Miracle Whip Ducker review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Miracle Whip Ducker Antenna for about a year now. I use mostly for 20 M SSB, and some 2 M. For HF, I found a counterpoise was necessary. I typically use from a hotel room and I have made frequent 20 M contacts with just 5 W output from my FT 817. QSO's range from a few hundred miles to well over 2,000 miles. This antenna is nothing short of amazing, but I found that a counterpoise is absolutely critical.

N4KZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 20, 2013 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Compromise but it does work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Miracle Whip for about 3 years. I have used it with my FT-817ND and made several CW contacts. I have used it mainly on 20 meters. My first two QSOs with it were from my kitchen table. I am not antenna restricted but liked the challenge of making contacts with an antenna designed for portability and convenience -- not performance. My first two contacts with my FT-817ND on the kitchen table with the MW plugged into the back were with a G and D4 stations. Europe and Africa. Not bad. Both of those guys had big antenna arrays to compensate for what I didn't have but, hey, I made the contacts. Later, I took the rig and MW to Florida and make several contacts from the beach on 20 CW and worked around the U.S. The workmanship is good and while the MW is designed for convenience and portability, it does work. In all cases, I attached a single counterpoise wire from the rig's ground screw on the back. That part is highly recommended.

73, N4KZ

KJ4NWZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 19, 2013 08:01 Send this review to a friend
MW is an expenive brand of mayonnaise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MW for a year now. Great 2m antenna. I have yet to make a single HF contact. I modified it to accept a counterpoise earlier this year and still, nothing. I've seen all the Youtube videos with hams using the MW to talk to people on Pluto but I haven't been able to qso anyone around the block. I'll keep trying. By the way, I bought it for $120 from HamCity in CA. Now I hear Universal Radio has it for nearly $200. Not worth it.

M6TXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 14:57 Send this review to a friend
suprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna along with a yaesu ft817 i bought secondhand
I sort of threw this antenna to one side as you cant argue with the law of physics as this mw is a little on the small side
I was upstairs in the shack today(spare bedroom), i plugged in to my 817 with no radials, i got the vswr to about 1.7 (reflections in the room)
The 817 was placed on a stool and plugged in to my psu
I heard a e7 station calling on 20m so i called him back thinking "he wont hear me"
Well he came back with a 59 report then called a LZ station and he give me a 59 report
Now i think that a 59 report was maybe a little OTT, but the thought that someone could hear me this good with this antenna indoors is sort of a miracle.
As long as you know what the antenna was made for you wont be dissapointed
I can only wonder what this would work like on a beach
One thing for sure i will be keeping hold of it
Paddy (2E0TXP)

KW6JIM Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2013 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the Miracle Ducker TL.

I took it out of the box and connected it to my FT-817nd go pack with no counterpoise. I made two 5w 20m contacts with stations in British Columbia. They were appx 1000 miles from my QTH.

Excellent antenna! I can't wait to start playing with the counterpoise.

9K2VO Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2012 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great little Antenna   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one since about 4 years with FT-817.
Antenna was put in a room in reception mode to experience only.While listening, 1B1AB calling dx.
i called him expected not to respond. Surprised he replied
At this moment I took video filmed by mobile phone
Conversation was at a frequency of 20 meters
This is a very good antenna at the reception as well as good in the transmitter on most frequencies
This link to the conversation

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2012 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Miracle Ducker TL, neat little device  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll give my Miracle Ducker TL a 5, for now.,cause right now I have no complaints about this nifty little device. Will it replace my full wave 40 meter loop..nope, will it replace my Mosley 3 element beam..nope, hell it wont hold a candle to my G5RV. But what it does do, it does it very well indeed. I personally have used it on my FT-817ND on 20-10 meters, with mixed results, most of the time my Miracle Ducker TL worked FB, but there have been those days when band conditions haven't cooperated and it takes all my skill and patience, and then some just to eke out one quick QSO on 10 meters. Then there are the days when as soon as you call CQ you're getting answered, one after the other.

The Miracle Ducker TL works very well on 20-10 meters, with a good counterpoise, you can get 40 meters to work for you..maybe..sometimes. On 75 meters..forget it, the Miracle Ducker just doesn't have the OOMPH needed to make it viable on 75/80 meters. That said, you on the other bands you can make it work, but as one poster stated..you aren't gonna do this quick like. You have ta put the time and effort in to it. However..if you do..put the time and effort in to it, you will get results, repeatable results. To that end..my Miracle Ducker TL gets a 5..for now.

LNXAUTHOR Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2012 12:08 Send this review to a friend
Works FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the Miracle products: the Miracle Ducker TL and the original Miracle Whip (MW). This review is for the original MW.

After nearly nine years and countless outings, trips, and sessions on beaches, decks, parks and piers, my original MW (purchased for less than a Franklin) is still working great.

This is a testament to the manufacturer's insistence on quality and robust construction. The MW is a perfect match for the FT-817, but i also use it on my SGC SG-2020 (using a UHF male-to-male extender).

The MW works great for receiving, and with a little effort, also works for a quick-and-dirty QRP outing. I have used my MW on 2M (with no counterpoise) for checking in with local repeaters, for receiving NWS WX faxes (important down here in hurricane country), and for listening to shortwave, FM, and local AM commercial broadcasts.

For HF, you'll need to use a counterpoise. Many folks have modified their MWs to add a socket for a banana plug counterpoise (i just clip a wire on my rig). Others have made the antenna removable so that other antennas may be attached (one reason i like the new TL version), or so that the MW may work as a tunable counterpoise!

The MW is an indispensable accessory for my amateur radio fun. It currently resides on my former mobile FT-857's 144/430MHz antenna jack (the rig now resides on a window ledge inside inside the casa next to my iMac). I use it every day!

The real 'miracle' about the MW is that an amateur radio accessory manufacturer cares enough about the customers in the ham community to build a product that will last for nearly the entire life of the purchaser.