Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Miracle Whip Help

Reviews Summary for Miracle Whip
Miracle Whip Reviews: 70 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $129.95
Description: The all-band rig-mounted whip for the FT-817 (and lots of other radios too...)

You can write your own review of the Miracle Whip.

KB2NAT Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2016 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice Niche Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I rated this a 5 because it does exactly what it should, It's obviously not a full-sized dipole, but for taking on a trip or using an antenna in a restricted condo, it's perfect. That's its niche! It's a bit pricey, but most complaints about the antenna are based on expectations beyond what anything with a 4-foot antenna could do.I took mine to Hawaii and clipped on a counterpoise and used it for ham operation. It's surprisingly good on receive, but don't expect huge output from the antenna (of course, it's easy to clip more wire on the end of the antenna). It does what I expected; for that, it was great.
W7IBI Rating: 4/5 Feb 21, 2016 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Out of business?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried to get in touch with the builder (VA2ERY) and the web site is now for a magazine. Robert stopped production due to failing health a few years ago and now there is no result when looking up his call. I have been using the MW for about 12 years on the FT-817nd and have had fine QRP results.
KJ4NWZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 27, 2014 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Miracle Whip QRP Antenna User Forum of FB  Time owned: more than 12 months
To all Miracle Whip owners and users. I searched for a group site on fb for the MW but could not find one, so I started one. All are welcome to join. I need some help with my mayonnaise antenna too.
N4QA Rating: 3/5 Dec 31, 2013 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Fair receiving antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Perhaps not the classic Miracle Whip, mine appears to be somewhat different from commonly described units:

Copy & paste...

No QSOs as yet but have received several RBN spots while CQing at 5 watts out on 20 meters CW.

Does work as a fair receiving antenna, used next to my easy chair in the sunroom w/ no counterpoise.

It is what it is, as they say...

Bill, N4QA

KB1VXP Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2013 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Miracle Whip Ducker review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Miracle Whip Ducker Antenna for about a year now. I use mostly for 20 M SSB, and some 2 M. For HF, I found a counterpoise was necessary. I typically use from a hotel room and I have made frequent 20 M contacts with just 5 W output from my FT 817. QSO's range from a few hundred miles to well over 2,000 miles. This antenna is nothing short of amazing, but I found that a counterpoise is absolutely critical.
N4KZ Rating: 3/5 Jun 20, 2013 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Compromise but it does work  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Miracle Whip for about 3 years. I have used it with my FT-817ND and made several CW contacts. I have used it mainly on 20 meters. My first two QSOs with it were from my kitchen table. I am not antenna restricted but liked the challenge of making contacts with an antenna designed for portability and convenience -- not performance. My first two contacts with my FT-817ND on the kitchen table with the MW plugged into the back were with a G and D4 stations. Europe and Africa. Not bad. Both of those guys had big antenna arrays to compensate for what I didn't have but, hey, I made the contacts. Later, I took the rig and MW to Florida and make several contacts from the beach on 20 CW and worked around the U.S. The workmanship is good and while the MW is designed for convenience and portability, it does work. In all cases, I attached a single counterpoise wire from the rig's ground screw on the back. That part is highly recommended.

73, N4KZ
KJ4NWZ Rating: 2/5 Jun 19, 2013 08:01 Send this review to a friend
MW is an expenive brand of mayonnaise  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my MW for a year now. Great 2m antenna. I have yet to make a single HF contact. I modified it to accept a counterpoise earlier this year and still, nothing. I've seen all the Youtube videos with hams using the MW to talk to people on Pluto but I haven't been able to qso anyone around the block. I'll keep trying. By the way, I bought it for $120 from HamCity in CA. Now I hear Universal Radio has it for nearly $200. Not worth it.
M0TXP Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2013 14:57 Send this review to a friend
suprised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this antenna along with a yaesu ft817 i bought secondhand
I sort of threw this antenna to one side as you cant argue with the law of physics as this mw is a little on the small side
I was upstairs in the shack today(spare bedroom), i plugged in to my 817 with no radials, i got the vswr to about 1.7 (reflections in the room)
The 817 was placed on a stool and plugged in to my psu
I heard a e7 station calling on 20m so i called him back thinking "he wont hear me"
Well he came back with a 59 report then called a LZ station and he give me a 59 report
Now i think that a 59 report was maybe a little OTT, but the thought that someone could hear me this good with this antenna indoors is sort of a miracle.
As long as you know what the antenna was made for you wont be dissapointed
I can only wonder what this would work like on a beach
One thing for sure i will be keeping hold of it
Paddy (2E0TXP)
KW6JIM Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2013 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This review is for the Miracle Ducker TL.

I took it out of the box and connected it to my FT-817nd go pack with no counterpoise. I made two 5w 20m contacts with stations in British Columbia. They were appx 1000 miles from my QTH.

Excellent antenna! I can't wait to start playing with the counterpoise.
9K2VO Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2012 02:35 Send this review to a friend
Great little Antenna   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one since about 4 years with FT-817.
Antenna was put in a room in reception mode to experience only.While listening, 1B1AB calling dx.
i called him expected not to respond. Surprised he replied
At this moment I took video filmed by mobile phone
Conversation was at a frequency of 20 meters
This is a very good antenna at the reception as well as good in the transmitter on most frequencies
This link to the conversation