Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron GLA-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron GLA-1000
Dentron GLA-1000 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 10-80MTRS 1200W INPUT HF AMP

You can write your own review of the Dentron GLA-1000.

KG4FET Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2012 14:29 Send this review to a friend
nice small desktop amp!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have run this for over a year now. This is a 1KW INPUT amp the best you should expect is 500 watts output. Anyone who says they are getting or expecting more it's just not possible. Replaced the HV rectifier board after the old caps blew. Mine is unmodded. I have run it AM/SSB/CW all with great results. You do need to do a few mods to it OR baby it along. It has served me very very well and I do use it everyday. Well worth a look IF you baby them. NOT a first timers amp not forgiving of mistakes in tuning or long tune up keydowns. Keep it short and rest it between and it will work and last forever

N5HNY Rating: 3/5 Apr 17, 2009 00:54 Send this review to a friend
An OK Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
Trust me, I am no amp expert. I somehow got the idea that I could buy a GLA 1000 and convert it to Russian tubes with no effort. I bought this thing off E-bay and found it smoked a bit and would not work properly. I was disappointed to say the least. $225 with shipping and I had a messed up amplifier.

It sat on a self for awhile, then I decided to get busy and fix it. After all, it did power up. The tubes tested good. (I have a tube tester.) On air contacts with more experienced amp users told the story. Low power supply voltage in the 800 volt range. Was supposed to be about 1100 to 1200. Turned out the filter caps were bad.

I ordered a board from FAR Circuits. Got some new parts from Mouser. I was back in buisness.

I use my amp mostly on 80 meters when conditions get tough. I don't push it too hard. About 70 watts gets me 350 out. It is considered a 1000 watt amp, but thats input for sure. There are a lot of amps running 50% efficiency. This one is about the same. These little amps are not designed to run full output constantly. Run them about 300 to 400 and you won't be sorry. A full kilowatt out ain't that much stronger. Small footprint on the desk. Needs mods that you can find on the internet but mine seems to work fine as is.

As stated before, DO NOT pay over $150 for one of these amps and that is if it powers up.

PA0FRI Rating: 4/5 Apr 19, 2007 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Great for homebrew  Time owned: more than 12 months
Indeed, this is a great little amp for those who have the time for projects but pay max. $150 for a mint GLA-1000. As an experiment I have converted this beauty over to EL519 and later on with two Russian GI7Bís in parallel using the orginial transformer but with a voltage doubler, and an added 12.6 filament transformer.
For more details see: www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/Lineairs/GLA1000/gla1000eng.htm.

WA7VTD Rating: 2/5 Apr 18, 2007 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Great for a Project, Lousy As-Is  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great amp for those who have the time for projects. Lousy amp for those desiring a small-footprint, RELIABLE desktop amp of moderate power output (a half kilowatt).

Wonderful descriptions of, and plans for, the upgrades, tube conversions and circuit improvements for the GLA-1000 have been graciously posted on the Web by numerous hams. The various improvements and conversions range from easy to moderately complex, and from quick to several evenings/weekends, in difficulty and time intensiveness.

This is a really good amp for somoene who either loves to work on/improve/restore amps, or who wishes to learn hands-on about good and bad amplifier design. As a project piece, it provides the basic platform and components for eventually having a quite compact and reliable little amp.

If however, you aren't project-oriented in the amp purchase desire, and are simply looking for a plug-and-play amplifier that will last, skip the GLA-1000. It (barely) gets a "2" from me based on that aspect. There were too many design shortcuts and this amp is guaranteed to fail at some point. A used FL-2100B, SB-200, or AL-811 would, in my opinion, be a much better investment for a medium-powered, relativey small, 20-25-year-old desktop amp, and the latter three also utilize fairly inexpensive tubes and will be true workhorses if shown proper care. (The SB-200 should also have some mods performed in order to render it compatible with solid-state rigs and to improve tube longevity, prevent destructive parasitics, etc.; there are kits available for that purpose and a well-built SB-200 also will permit you to look at the construction manual which is a real help when troubleshooting).

Be informed and don't get swindled. Many savvy ops who simply lacked knowledge about the GLA-1000 have been suckered and have paid way, way too much. (I am looking in the mirror here).

For a project amp, I might pay up to $150 for a GLA-1000, but no more. As a ready-to-go regular operating adjunct, I wouldn't pay ten dollars for one.

My ownership of one lasted only a few weeks; a good friend pointed me to info about this amp, gave mine the once-over and advised me to cut my losses and unload it. I did so, with full disclosure of the great potential and existing deficiencies of this model, letting it go for a very low price.

I don't hate this amp; I do regret that a model with this many issues was rather aggressively marketed in its day and that so many of them are offered on e-Bay and at hamfest swapmeets at quite unjustifiable prices. But, as I also said above, if you are interested in an excellent platform for a project that will result in a very neat amp, this may be the one for you. For the money spent on the amp and the parts for conversion, new tubes, etc., and time spent fabricating metal pieces and so on, you will be doing this as a labor of love and not as a sound means of giving your HF station the occasionally-needed extra oomph at a reasonable price.

If you can get one really, really cheap, then go for it if you wish to educate yourself on amplifier design and have the satisfaction of doing what we hams used to do all the time: improving our rigs and learning by doing.

- Kevin WA7VTD
Oregon City, OR

KA0CSL Rating: 1/5 Oct 30, 2006 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Switches Suck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit is a good cheap unit. watch out for the band switch and others they wear out and parts are impossiable to obtain.

WA2JJH Rating: 2/5 Mar 6, 2004 20:51 Send this review to a friend
If you can get one for under $150, it is a good little amp.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overpaid for mine on ebay. Paid about $350 with shipping.

Maybe it is comparing apples to oranges. However my Heathkit HL-2200(different case, same amp as the SB-220/1) out performs this amp.

Yes, the heathkit is a dual 3-500Z, but the original EIMACS in it are soft. So the output power when run on 110VAC is about the same.

Got this on ebay. The seller said he just put new tubes in it.

No matter what band, 100W pep in would produce only about 500-550W out.

The amp is hard to tune. On high SWR's the tuning cap arcs. The circuit breaker blows often.
The caps positions are critical.

Maybe the SB-220 is so much of a better amp.
By comparing the two, it was no contest.

This is the original GLA-1000, I find it to much of a pain in the butt to use. They relay is a real clinker(LOUD)

One the plus side. 10M MOD is a snap. The amp is real tiny compared to any other tube amp.

I remember DENTRONS QST ad for it. G.L.A.= GOOD LITTLE AMP.

If you can buy a SB-220/1 for $200 more.....PAY THE $200!

There is the GLA-1000 A and B. I think there was a C as well. Perhaps the later ones were better.

Since I have a real good amplifier(HL-2200), I would sell the GLA-1000 for $150 and not lose sleep! Seems that 500W out for a full 100W in, shows low efficiency.
DO GET SUCKERED ON EBAY< AND OVER PAY ON THIS AMP.
Its an amplifier, with nothing special to offer.

For only 500W out you are much better going solid state.
If it put out lets say 700W, did not arc, and trip a circuit breaker on SWR's just over 3:1, it would be a good little amp.
It could be that I got a lemon.