Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron GLA-1000B Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron GLA-1000B
Dentron GLA-1000B Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $msrp gla1000b
Description: 10-80MTRS 1200W INPUT HF AMP

You can write your own review of the Dentron GLA-1000B.

Z31GH Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2014 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Great little Machine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own one GLA-1000B and its my first Amplifier. I bough it for 200$ and for the money you canot find a bether one. You have all the room to repair when something goes wrong, and conversation is easy. I reached Australia and Japan with only 100W with my FT-101Z from the Republic of Macedonia. The GLA-1000B gives about 500W and that are more than enough for me. This is a good entrance amplifier because its not so expensive, and you can convert it with EL509 tubes, and i have tons of them. I know that there are much bether amplifiers than the GLA-100b, but the tubes for them are so expensive 200$+. A good amplifier doesnt need to be expensive.

K9MHZ Rating: 2/5 Apr 7, 2014 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Eh....OK, I guess.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wouldn't make a deliberate effort to go out in the world and try to find one of these. It was fine for the day.....over 30 years ago. A classic bang-for-the-buck design, but nothing special. Today, you'd be looking at a restoration to at least have the piece of mind that it wouldn't be too gross for your transceiver to feed. Even when new, it was pretty basic.....just some force-fed sweeps to pound out a bigger signal. It wasn't a quality product at all, and in fact Dentron was the go-to product line when someone was unwilling to purchase something designed and built to a higher standard and with more stout components.

So, if you can find one that's not trash and can't resist owning one, it's OK. Just don't expect much more.

WB4YFK Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2013 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Too Bad tubes are getting Scarce  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a GLA-1000B off EBAY. It did have a problem when I received it (shorted connection to the load variable cap), it was hidden and difficult to find. After fixing this little gem my TS-870 drives it wonderfully. This little guy has tuned input so the input VSWR is 1.5:1 on 40 meters and it puts out 525 watts. The amazing thing is this little guy has the original DENTRON tubes. Kind of wonder if this little guy had the short problem all along and it kept changing hands. The cabinet is in great shape and the well designed front panel makes it a attractive addition to the shack as well as being compact and functional. I also found a GLT-1000 tuner to match the amp, the pair make a real great addition to the shack.

N6SCG Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 17:47 Send this review to a friend
great amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my dentron gla-1000b for 350.00 and was amazed at 5he output this little amp could do with 110 in I get 1100 watts out on 40 meters and a whopping 1600 watts on 20 meters im very happy with this amp.i plan on doing a circuit upgrade just to prolonge the life of this little guy. I recently purchased an sb-220 my next project its going to be harbaughed I can't wait. There's my 3 cents on this great little amp.

AC8GX Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2012 06:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amp during Hamvention 2012, I found several of the amps available. I chose and amp that looked practically brand new!!!
I got it home, actually read the directions...hi hi
This is a great little amp, 100 watts in from my FT 950 gives 500 watts on the lower bands and just shy of 500 watts on 15.

Its my first amp, its easy tune, work great with my Beam and Loop both.
On the tubes, I was able to find numerous 6lq6's at hamvention, which I now own, just in case!

If found a great little amp for a great price

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2009 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well I swapped mine for a DOA FL-7000, fixed that but missed the little amp so much I brought it back! For a few bucks I fitted a cathode cut off by paralleling two 150 ohm 1w resistors off the anode of the bias zener to the choke, used a 12v relay I found in the junk box to short it out on TX. Paralleled it up with the K1 relay and now it is like expensive amps, cuts the tubes off on receive. My advice is to ignore those lazy commentators and spend the $4.00 and half an hour and you have a Great Little Amp. As for the tubes, obviously they don't look hard enough, I have many spare sets not that I will need them after doing the cut off mod. Five to six hundred watts PEP no problem. If you find one, buy it, I will email you how to make it even better.

ZL4TGH Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 Dentron's, the other being the MLA-2500B. The 1000B gets the most use because it is easy to tune, give the right amount of punch when I need it. There are two spare sets of valves that will out last me. Only one problem years ago was the bias zener, it went and the amp turned full on! Caught it in time, no damage. Don't know why but it never did it again. The amp cost me a few hundred bucks and the new tubes about the same. Looking at the cost of solid state Amps now, why would you bother to pay so much for the same performance? and you get that nice warm glow of the tube heaters, ah just paradise :)

W4INF Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2008 04:50 Send this review to a friend
Works FB  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For function and build, I would have to give it a 5. It was so easy to tune my 10 your old daughter could do it. The old tubes were tired, but I still got 500w out of what is a 600w rated amp. Audio was clean, it easily interfaced with my Icom 718 with nothing more than an RCA patch cable. I did not use QSK with CW but CW did work fine.

Bought mine for $250, and sold it later for the same $250. Solid built, attractive unit. A true shame Dentron is no longer in business.

Many reviews on the Internet are biased for too critical. Sure, this is not a modern amp, and true it uses sweep tubes... but at the time it was designed and built it was modern. My review is based on function, fit and finish.

73-
Andrew
W4INF

WB5RAX Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2007 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Dentron GLA 1000 Amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my GLA 1000 about 6 mo. now. I am very pleased, it gives 500W CW output with 100W drive from my Heathkit HW100. It came with 4 good tubes. I got it through Ebay for $200. A good buy, I think. Looking to the future, I started shopping for spare tubes on Ebay, and learning about the tubes that are suitable for this amp. I have learned that 6je6, 6je6a, 6je6b, 6je6c, 6lq6, 6me6, 6mj6, are all OK for it. Also, "MATCHED SET" tubes are not needed, despite what the tube merchants tell us. Tubes that check close to the same on a tube tester work well together. You just don't want to mix some weak tubes and strong tubes. As an experiment, I installed a 6je6, a 6je6a, and two 6lq6's, all different brands and got the same 500W output. The tubes checked equally strong on a tube tester. I have purchased 12 spare tubes so far from Ebay, the average price being $6.75. Most of the tubes were 6lq6's. So I think one of these GLA 1000's is the most bang for the buck in small amplifiers, the performance is on a par with the Ameritron AL811 and costs much less. As far as conversions to other tubes, I think there are probably as many 6lq6 type tubes in the world right now as there are EL509's, so why do the conversion. Besides the sellers of EL509's want the same price as a premium set of 6lq6's anyway! I think the conversion to GI7B tubes is a great idea if you want to do that, I don't know if it is worth the cost of having the conversion done by a specialist, that money will buy a lot of 6lq6's
or 6je6's. So if you have one of these amps or are thinking of getting one, go to Ebay and find some spare tubes for the future and then the future of your GLA 1000 will look great!

K8DGL Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2006 06:37 Send this review to a friend
Wolf in sheeps clothing  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is the second GLA-1000 I have owned. I performed the GI-7B conversion on it and I am Very Pleased to say the least. The conversion info on the web is outstanding.
I found a high volume fan that is super quiet that provides the finishing touch.
600 watts output with 60 watts drive is nice for an amp I have less than $200 invested. Besides the enjoyment doing the conversion.
I'll be enjoying this amp for years to come.