Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM PW-1 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM PW-1
ICOM PW-1 Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $5000
Description: HF/6 Meter All Band 1KW Amplifier
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/amplifiers/

You can write your own review of the ICOM PW-1.

KI5WE Rating: 0/5 Apr 24, 2014 11:05 Send this review to a friend
JUNK-TRASH PLEASE DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a new (ICOM)PW-1 had it for about 1 year and the switching power supply went out i sent it back to Icom and they wanted $2.300.00 to replace it. so no i have a i year old paper weight sitting on my desk.
never again don't waste you money ,I bought a new Alpha 9500 3 years ago and LOVE IT, lots more power then the PW-1 it is just like having a 1500 watt radio i could not be happier with my Alpha 9500 i wish i would have not wasted my money on the JUNK PW-1 (BUYER BE WARE)

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2013 18:35 Send this review to a friend
SIMPLY "AWESOME"!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Finally got my dream amplifier as a retirement gift from my wife.I have been dreaming of owning one since I first saw one many years ago & I must say,it was worth the wait! My favorite band is 6 meters so the added 900 watts or so should be a big plus when we get some conditions.It is my 1st amplifier on any band that will do 1000 watts or more & 1000 watts is more than enough on any band & don't see why people keep buying an amplifier that will do 2 times of more legal limit since I know none of them are actually using them on the air? I have only had my PW-1 a week but have already adjusted to no longer turning a tune or load knob.The fan noise that some complain of is not an issue to me because the tone of the fans are such that I don't even pay them any attention. As I have always heard,it's like having a 1000 watt transceiver & it's true.Purchased mine used from a local ham friend who is amplifier poor & it had never even had the 10/12 meter mod completed but it has now.Looks AWESOME on my desk next to my ICOM 756 PROII & ICOM 746 PRO & I think it will have a home in my shack for a long time.The only thing I see that I would change is making the wattmeter a PEP meter & I think that would have been an easy addition but do not know why it was not done from the start.It's a beautiful addition to my shack & I'm VERY thankful & blessed to have it along with the rest of my gear. Thanks ICOM for another WINNER in the ICOM PW-1 HF/6 meter Solid State Kilowatt amplifier. {:>)

AA6VB Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2013 10:48 Send this review to a friend
100 Percent Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an updated review after 5 1/2 years of use.

This amp has been 100 percent reliable - period! Not a single issue in 5 1/2 years.

I had a difficult time getting the amp set up to work with my Icom 7800 (the manual was unclear and several important steps were missing), but I eventually got it working after about 2 hours. No big deal.

What everyone has said is true - this amp is exactly like having a KW transceiver. You simply cannot tell you are using an amp. Just change bands on your rig, the amp follows along, and you don't have to think about anything.

It has a lot of nice features, including the ability to remember what antenna you use on a given band. So, if you have a vertical for 160/80 attached to one of the four antenna ports, and a beam attached to another, the amp will automatically select the correct antenna when you switch bands. Very slick...

Another nice feature is that is includes Six Meters.

The fact you can attach two transceivers is also very nice. Few, if any, tube amps allow the use of two rigs.

I really enjoy being able to turn the amp on with the press of a button, then press another button to select between my two rigs, and have the amp track antennas and bands automatically. No tune, no warm up, and automatic band changes. Very, very, nice.

Great QSK.

The amp puts out well in excess of 1000 watts, but I always run it at 1KW as recommended by Icom.

The only negative is the fan is LOUD when the temperature activates the high speed fan. The low speed is very quiet.

If you are looking for a no tune, solid state amp with auto band switching, this should be on your short list.

By the way, KK5DR wrote an excellent review of this amp. The review has a great deal of useful information and is required reading for anyone who buys one of these amps BEFORE starting the set up process. KK5DR has provided all of the information missing from the manual. It would have taken me five minutes to configure the amp if I had read his review first, instead of the two plus hours it took me. Here is the link:

Bob/AA6VB

KU4OT Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2013 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Impressed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my PW-1 used almost 5 years ago. I have not had a seconds problem with it. Care should be taken with initial ALC setup as it would be east to overdrive the amp and cause problems. Also, the tuner is only capable of handling a 3:1 SWR. High SWR coupled with 1200 or 1400 watts output is probably the reason some are having reliability issues. It only take about 25 watts of drive before the ALC kicks in to reach 1KW output. The only suggestion I would make to Icom is to include a Peak mode on the meter. From the factory the meter is RMS only which is fine for all modes except SSB. I also have an Alpha 99 and Palstar AT Auto for back-up but I have only turned them on about once a year to make sure they are still working. I would defiantly purchase this amp again.

W3DIY Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Perfect but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my PW1 from a local ham who said it was 100% and it appeared to work as it should. My Yagi SWR is low so the ATU was not needed. After a few months operating 10-20M I tried loading a loop antenna on 80M, but the amp shut down. I discovered that the ATU was not working from day one of my ownership.
Drawing upon 10 years of bench time servicing 2 way radio equip I decided to investigate. The PW1 is not service friendly…way too much disassembly needed to access the inside of the ATU. Could be that that ICOM intended for the ATU to be replaced as a module.
The motor driven tuning capacitors had arched over and were stuck. One expert source said this was a common problem caused by loading antennas with +3:1 SWR. Another source indicated that there was defective batch of capacitors which ICOM replaced at no cost. After replacing both capacitors ($150 each) the PW1/ATU are working perfectly.
I gave it a 5 because I don’t know the circumstances which caused the capacitors to fail. I have not been able to verify the defective capacitors story.

G0PZA Rating: 3/5 May 25, 2013 16:22 Send this review to a friend
Good Amp but beware of ATU  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this Amp mainly in contests for about 4 years. I have found the amp ok to use and it handshakes well with the Pro III. The power needle is a little lazy on SSB but fine on CW.

The Auto ATU failed recently, for the second time, and this time ICOM UK have quoted me USD 3,000 to install a new one. I shall not be doing so and buying a Palstar hF auto for about 1500, or an LDG pro2 for about 700. Also, I shall be slowly switching away from ICOM in the future, having been an ICOM proponent for 20 years.
Buyers beware!

W6DE Rating: 4/5 May 3, 2013 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Glad I have it  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this PW-1 for over a two years now. I bought it used and have no regrets about buying it. I use it with my ICOM 756 PRO III. The two are great together. With my Steppir also being automatic, band changing is a snap. QSK works like a champ.

I did have some faulting at first due to the bad handling of CI-V collisions in the PW-1. If you use a PW-1 with a computer on the CI-V Bus you should read K8UT's web site article "Riding the CI-V Bus" pay attention to part 4 Solutions. When connected to a computer, using one of the "Solutions" is a must. I use the "K9JM CI-V ROUTER" as a substitute for the ICOM CT-17. I believe it is the solution ICOM should have done in the first place. That it needs another device to protect the PW-1 is why I rate the PW-1 a 4 instead of 5.

Using the K9JM Router with the PW-1 I now feel comfortable doing contesting with the PW-1.

N3NEP Rating: 4/5 May 1, 2013 10:08 Send this review to a friend
Not bad but a bit overpriced  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this amp a couple of weeks now and I have made a few observations.
1. Installation was pretty straight forward.
2. It's a bummer the meter provides avg reading instead of PEP.
3. Using the tuner on 6m the SWR goes crazy so I use the one in the radio instead. Still only seeing 700W on 6m though.
4. Instant on is nicer than waiting 3mins for 3cx800's in my Alpha 78 to warm up.
5. Nice to have an amp to use on 12m & 6m.
6. Still get reports of being the strongest station on the band using only 1kw.
7. The fans can be a bit noisy from time to time.

W6WRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be more pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased mine used and am happy with everything except the CI-V control bus. If you use the Icom factory CT-17 level converter, there is a problem with "packet collisions" which can seriously damage the amp. There are a couple of work-arounds for this and you MUST use on of them if you wish to use a computer logging program with it. Google for K8UT's article "Riding the CI-V Bus" for complete information. Having applied one of the work-arounds, I couldn't be more pleased. This is a superbly designed and built amplifier with a solid 1000 watt output at 100% duty cycle. Having instant-on and no tune up is a blessing after years of tuning tube type amps. I am spoiled for anything else. I did give up 1.7 dB (less than 1/3 of an S-unit) from my old legal limit amp but I consider it a good tradeoff. I highly recommend this amp.

VY0PW Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to radio shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned the PW-1 for over 12 months and in general very happy with it.

Bought it to work along the 756 ProII which it does well. Love the automatic band switching.
The manual was kind of helpful for the first set up but there are better documents available on line to get you going , wish ICOM would include that in the manual or better re-write the manual.

Anything I do not like that much?

The remote controller is slick and looks good in the shack but what a pain to detach it from the main unit and than it is still more or less hard wired into it. Why not have a quick external disconnect? If you need to ship the amplifier or move it around the remote head is dangling on the side unless you take it off which as said is a pain.

Fans could be a bit quieter at times when the units is running warmer but I placed it further away from the 756 so little problem here.

All in all the PW-1 is what I expected from ICOM,great addition to the other toys and hopefully it will last as long without any repairs as my IC-735 and the 756 ProII.

Highly recommended