Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM PW-1 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM PW-1
ICOM PW-1 Reviews: 83 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $5000
Description: HF/6 Meter All Band 1KW Amplifier
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/amplifiers/

You can write your own review of the ICOM PW-1.

W6WRT Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2013 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't be more pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased mine used and am happy with everything except the CI-V control bus. If you use the Icom factory CT-17 level converter, there is a problem with "packet collisions" which can seriously damage the amp. There are a couple of work-arounds for this and you MUST use on of them if you wish to use a computer logging program with it. Google for K8UT's article "Riding the CI-V Bus" for complete information. Having applied one of the work-arounds, I couldn't be more pleased. This is a superbly designed and built amplifier with a solid 1000 watt output at 100% duty cycle. Having instant-on and no tune up is a blessing after years of tuning tube type amps. I am spoiled for anything else. I did give up 1.7 dB (less than 1/3 of an S-unit) from my old legal limit amp but I consider it a good tradeoff. I highly recommend this amp.

VY0PW Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2013 04:49 Send this review to a friend
Great addition to radio shack  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned the PW-1 for over 12 months and in general very happy with it.

Bought it to work along the 756 ProII which it does well. Love the automatic band switching.
The manual was kind of helpful for the first set up but there are better documents available on line to get you going , wish ICOM would include that in the manual or better re-write the manual.

Anything I do not like that much?

The remote controller is slick and looks good in the shack but what a pain to detach it from the main unit and than it is still more or less hard wired into it. Why not have a quick external disconnect? If you need to ship the amplifier or move it around the remote head is dangling on the side unless you take it off which as said is a pain.

Fans could be a bit quieter at times when the units is running warmer but I placed it further away from the 756 so little problem here.

All in all the PW-1 is what I expected from ICOM,great addition to the other toys and hopefully it will last as long without any repairs as my IC-735 and the 756 ProII.

Highly recommended

VY0PW
VA3DXA

W4VR Rating: 3/5 Nov 7, 2012 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Not so sure anymore about the reliability of the PW1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently had a major HV power supply failure in my 12 year old PW-1 (S/N: 011XX). I sent it to the Icom Repair facility in Michigan and it was just as expensive to replace the power supply with a new unit as it would have been to rebuild it.

KF5XV Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sweet Amp .... I can QSY 6 to 160 quick and fun...Click the cluster and away you go.

W4VR Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Reliable amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these PW-1's. I purchased the first one in 2001 and the second one in 2005. I've never had a problem with either one. I use these amps at two locations and they are in use every time I use the 7600.

VE6WQ Rating: 0/5 Mar 29, 2012 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Terrible Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the PW-1 2 years ago and it is in use with a 7600. in October I noted that the amp would not work on 10 or 12M but worked fine on the other bands. This seemed to be due to a diode problem in the filter assembly based on my internet reading. The amp was sent to ICOM Canada for service. They were not able to solve the problem and sent it to ICOM USA. I was told that parts in the ALC circuit were replaced, 2 diodes in the AF board and an IC on the AF board. The amp was returned after 3.5 months and the repairs cost $800 with shipping. Unfortunately I was busy with work when the amp was returned and only checked it out briefly. After a couple of weeks I went to use the amp on 12 m and as soon as I applied a few watts of drive the red fault light came on and there was no output on 10 or 12m. Other bands continued to work. Exactly the same problem as I had previously. I am pretty upset with the service and don't want to spend another $800.

W9ZX Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't bother to restate all the positive things that have been written. I've had my PW-1 attached to my 7700 for 3 years and have had no problems at all.

ZS2DL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2011 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Little Jem!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This little Amp, is in a nut shell all you need.
It is easy to setup, easy to use and idles at legal limit power for ZS. It will give more without complaint. It is also very responsive and as a result you seldom have to drive it with more than 25 or 30 watts from the exciter.
It is a fantastic companion to my IC7800.

I also have a Quadra next to it and must be honest all the Quadra for build quality, and ergonmics cannot come close to the PW1.

I realise there are Acoms and Alphas that may be better but hey ICOM AMPS for ICOM Rigs!!! Hi.

Donovan
ZS2DL

K2TCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the Icom PW1 at HRO in Delaware. Jim detached the head for me (great service) and I got it home and put on a 240V plug. Found out I needed to remove one side of a diode to get it to operate on all bands--Had to remove diode D-18---a tiny diode that was there to prevent the CB crowd from using it. Icom tech guys are fantastic!! Man these things are TINY---but got it done. This amp is so easy to use and this little control head is such an elegant addition to my shack!!!! The tuner handles my antennas and it is effortless to run!! This thing makes a major difference in s unit reports--having a ball with it! Highly recommend it!!!

VK2YN Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Seamless...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK had the unit in a cardboard box..amd thought about time to set up...

Base rig an IC7600, which i control mainly through HRD for CW via winkey and digital modes.

Separating the head was a pain in the ...... but we got there.

followed web set info i googled, and up and running within minutes..so far seamless band switching and operation...

Unlike computers and software, it was actually a pleasure to get something out of the box that worked first time..

Derek VK2YN