Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | ICOM PW-1 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM PW-1
ICOM PW-1 Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $5000
Description: HF/6 Meter All Band 1KW Amplifier
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/amplifiers/

You can write your own review of the ICOM PW-1.

W4VR Rating: 3/5 Nov 7, 2012 08:32 Send this review to a friend
Not so sure anymore about the reliability of the PW1  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently had a major HV power supply failure in my 12 year old PW-1 (S/N: 011XX). I sent it to the Icom Repair facility in Michigan and it was just as expensive to replace the power supply with a new unit as it would have been to rebuild it.

KF5XV Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2012 20:10 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sweet Amp .... I can QSY 6 to 160 quick and fun...Click the cluster and away you go.

W4VR Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Reliable amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these PW-1's. I purchased the first one in 2001 and the second one in 2005. I've never had a problem with either one. I use these amps at two locations and they are in use every time I use the 7600.

VE6WQ Rating: 0/5 Mar 29, 2012 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Terrible Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the PW-1 2 years ago and it is in use with a 7600. in October I noted that the amp would not work on 10 or 12M but worked fine on the other bands. This seemed to be due to a diode problem in the filter assembly based on my internet reading. The amp was sent to ICOM Canada for service. They were not able to solve the problem and sent it to ICOM USA. I was told that parts in the ALC circuit were replaced, 2 diodes in the AF board and an IC on the AF board. The amp was returned after 3.5 months and the repairs cost $800 with shipping. Unfortunately I was busy with work when the amp was returned and only checked it out briefly. After a couple of weeks I went to use the amp on 12 m and as soon as I applied a few watts of drive the red fault light came on and there was no output on 10 or 12m. Other bands continued to work. Exactly the same problem as I had previously. I am pretty upset with the service and don't want to spend another $800.

W9ZX Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 14:15 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I won't bother to restate all the positive things that have been written. I've had my PW-1 attached to my 7700 for 3 years and have had no problems at all.

ZS2DL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2011 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Little Jem!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This little Amp, is in a nut shell all you need.
It is easy to setup, easy to use and idles at legal limit power for ZS. It will give more without complaint. It is also very responsive and as a result you seldom have to drive it with more than 25 or 30 watts from the exciter.
It is a fantastic companion to my IC7800.

I also have a Quadra next to it and must be honest all the Quadra for build quality, and ergonmics cannot come close to the PW1.

I realise there are Acoms and Alphas that may be better but hey ICOM AMPS for ICOM Rigs!!! Hi.

Donovan
ZS2DL

K2TCM Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2011 03:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought the Icom PW1 at HRO in Delaware. Jim detached the head for me (great service) and I got it home and put on a 240V plug. Found out I needed to remove one side of a diode to get it to operate on all bands--Had to remove diode D-18---a tiny diode that was there to prevent the CB crowd from using it. Icom tech guys are fantastic!! Man these things are TINY---but got it done. This amp is so easy to use and this little control head is such an elegant addition to my shack!!!! The tuner handles my antennas and it is effortless to run!! This thing makes a major difference in s unit reports--having a ball with it! Highly recommend it!!!

VK2YN Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2011 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Seamless...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK had the unit in a cardboard box..amd thought about time to set up...

Base rig an IC7600, which i control mainly through HRD for CW via winkey and digital modes.

Separating the head was a pain in the ...... but we got there.

followed web set info i googled, and up and running within minutes..so far seamless band switching and operation...

Unlike computers and software, it was actually a pleasure to get something out of the box that worked first time..

Derek VK2YN

K8WLK Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 12:34 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
ICOM did a fine job with the PW-1. After six months of operation I would not give it up for another amp. Set up was easy and fast. I have the PW-1 integrated with my ICOM 756 Pro III and Ham Radio Deluxe, HRD logbook and Digital Master 780. They all work seamlessly together providing quick and almost instant access to band and frequency changes.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2011 09:10 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had the PW-1 at least 5 years now, one failure a chip in the control head, shipping was a little pricey! Have used it with a 706M2G, 756PRO, 7700, a Yasue 920 and a 756PRO3 all worked as they should with the PW-1 very well! I like to build and work on antennas and compare antennas and the PW-1 is the very best for doing A/B/C/D tests, so you can have a reference antenna then compare to it to see what you have in less than a second and that neat. using the 7700 the PW-1 put out 1200 watts when set up correctly an clean as could be. Sometime the fans (4 of them) can make some noise when there all on but they keep the temp where it should be an all is always well! The best compliment I get is when I turn it on or off other station will say nothing except if there looking at there meter went it goes up from an S9 to 30 over S9 it does not change the audio at all except on the other stations meter. Now that good engineering!........KB6HRT