Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow OSJ Model J146/440
Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Reviews: 168 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Dual-band aluminum j-pole
Wtih better quality SO239 - 3/8-24 Connector. Better Threads and a more precise hole size for the PL259 connection. As of 4-10-05 All OSJ's will have the new connector.

You can write your own review of the Arrow OSJ Model J146/440.

VE3IPS Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2016 18:16 Send this review to a friend
A Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Arrow does all the hard work for you in building a solid J pole antenna that will survive the winter in Canada.

I just bought it, threw it up on a antenna mast and connected my coax. SWR was fine and I was making contacts with no fuss.

This has also become the antenna of choice for an ARES Go Kit.
KH6DAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2016 08:37 Send this review to a friend
Economic American Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of the these j poles. Making a 2 meter 440 out of copper tubing is fun, but you have to have all of the tools and equipment. IE tube cutter, hacksaw, propane, solder, connector, wire etc. This product will have you on 2 meters and 440 right out of the box. For our radio club we bought the ten pack and only charged the actual cost so 10 folks (mostly new hams) could have a inexpensive, well built, solid antenna, without having to build their own. I have spray painted these antennas the same color as the house when I lived in a CCR development. These antennas are a great value. Not sure why a small group have had some problems. These have worked flawlessly for me and many of fellow hams I know. I've used them on simplex, through repeaters, with mobile radios, and with a external duplexer with my Kenwood TS-2000. Schweeeet.
K5ACL Rating: 1/5 Feb 19, 2016 07:19 Send this review to a friend
Upgraded to a dual band vertical and haven't looked back  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought the Arrow dual band j pole in hopes that I'd be able to get on VHF/UHF from an HOA perspective. First I tried the antenna in the attic, and was able to hit a few 2m repeaters, then I bolted to antenna to the roof outside, no change in performance. Was unable to even get anyone on simplex living in a major metropolitan area, I thought I'd at least be able to get someone a few miles away. It was great for checking in to the local repeater, and the construction is really solid. I'd save your money though, and go for an antenna like the GP-3 or X-30 or X-50 which all take up the same kind of similar footprint, but provide much better results. I've since had the chance to try the X-30 & GP-3 that were lent to me by a fellow ham, and I can finally have fun on VHF/UHF again. Full quieting on all channels, and I'm getting picked up on simplex all over the place!

I was using a 75 foot lead of LMR400 from the shack on all of these antennas. I wouldn't recommend the j pole to someone who is just getting in to the hobby or if your in an HOA situation. Look into another type of antenna, or you'll probably be disappointed like I was.
K2RWF Rating: 1/5 Jan 25, 2016 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Ok on VHF, terrible on UHF  Time owned: more than 12 months
As others have described here, this thing has issues with UHF. SWR is all over the place. And as others have testified here, the owner always blames the coax. Coax is fine, tested against a dummy load, as well as with other antennas, including my SlimJim.

Once the snow thaws, this thing is coming down and getting replaced with a Comet.
W4SEX Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2015 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Can't be beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
Perfect 1:1 match and was quickly thrown in the attic so that I could operate in my heated garage in the winter. I have been getting great signal reports ever since. I wondered what antenna my friend was using and I knew he was a long way from the repeater. After finding out that his was hanging in a tree, that's all I needed to know . I was sold on the design.
VA3LIP Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2015 10:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent !!!   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had to get one reading reviews on and I am a Happy Camper, it has excellent Rx and Tx. I am in Brampton (Canada), some 30 Kms North of Toronto. In an apartment building facing North, I am able to talk directly to a Repeater in Buffalo (USA), at least 100 Km South of me, maybe more. And the antenna is inside my small sunroom.

I don't think anyone who buys it will be disappointed, this is Performance touching excellence.
VA2KK Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
classic simplicity and perfection of workmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Moved in a condo, after selling our house. The Arrow Open Stub J-Pole has been an awesome solution.

My Arrow (J146/440), mounted on microphone tripod, is located behind a curtain and faces a 180 deg horizon 100+ft abv. ground.

This simple beauty performs exactly as advertised. Before claiming otherwise, one should carefully read about coax and swr :

N4ZN Rating: 1/5 Aug 15, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Not so hot anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this in good faith, reading some of the early reviews, and that it was all but cheaper to buy, than build. Kept it assembled in a "go kit" for a couple years. I had recently decided to go out operating portable HF-UHF, and placed this antenna into service... Or tried to. It is isolated from the mast, but, still horrible performance on UHF. Very high SWR except for a narrow portion in the center of 440-450 MHz (3:1 on ends of the band). Checked the OEM measurements of the elements, and found some to be too long. So, I trimmed it a bit, and it helped... A bit. (2.7:1) it's fine on 2 mtrs. But sucks on 70cm. And, from the looks of the reviews now... This appears to be a trend. Sure, it's cheap. But, if it doesn't perform, not any kind of a good deal.
W7EIR Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2015 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer on both bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very impressive results from the J146/440 on both bands. Mine is on top of my 150-foot tall high rise in downtown Seattle and is fed with LMR-600 coax. Excellent matches on both bands.

With the J146/440 I have talked through repeaters on both bands in the Vancouver BC area, running only five watts on two meters and 35 watts on 70cm. That's a distance of over 100 miles to the repeaters. This antenna performs.
K2DMV Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 16:35 Send this review to a friend
It Just Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
If it doesn't work I have no clue why. Works great on VHF in a space limited space location.
Works great on UHF and D-Star UHF too.