Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow OSJ Model J146/440
Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Reviews: 151 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Dual-band aluminum j-pole
Wtih better quality SO239 - 3/8-24 Connector. Better Threads and a more precise hole size for the PL259 connection. As of 4-10-05 All OSJ's will have the new connector.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow OSJ Model J146/440.

WK2X Rating: 1/5 Jul 10, 2014 15:42 Send this review to a friend
good on 2m, garbage on 70cm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna from cheapham, maybe that was the problem. It matched almost perfectly on 2m, but terrible on 70cm. The best swr I saw was 2.5:1 on 437MHz, and it quickly got worse on either side, up to over 5:1 at the top of the band where most repeater inputs are. I was a good little Ham and read the other reviews, so I knew good coax was a must. I had used a very short run of LMR-400-UF, so I had a friend at work sweep the coax with an RF analyzer and dummy load. The coax was fine. I tried an ugly balun as suggested, too - still no joy. Even tried making a better choke out of some appropriate toroids. It wasn't near anything metal or any of the other stuff they tell you to watch for, either.

As much as I wanted to like this antenna and make it work, I'm forced to conclude that I got a piece of junk.

Today, I built and tuned a simple so-239 ground plane 1/4 wave, cheated a little and used the whip from an old dual band magnet mount that broke years ago. With the same coax, I have 1.5:1 or less across the entire swath from about 425-470 MHz, and it's also perfect on the whole 2m band. I was able to bring up a UHF repeater over 35 miles away with 15 watts and the antenna 5 feet off the ground. Will be putting it up on the roof after dinner once the silicone is mostly dry. The OSJ will, sadly, stay in the garage as scrap aluminum.

I'm willing to believe that I just got a junker, and that other people have better luck with these. Maybe I should have gotten one direct from Arrow, who knows? Just be aware that you're rolling the dice when you buy.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2014 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great on 2, lousy on 440  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up several years....great on 2meters but it's a dud on 440....really sucks on 440! Yes, I'm feeding it with Belden 9913 at maybe 50' of coax.

SWR on 440 is great, but for some reason, like the reviewer before, there's huge attenuation on 440....

Antenna is really well built and since here in Northern California we've been forced by the US Air Force to all but shut down 440 repeaters, I'm not missing much on UHF.

Cheers All

N0RRS Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2014 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Good, but lacking on 440  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, before I get bashed for only giving this antenna a 4 rating let me say that for for $39 you can't find a better dual band J POLE anywhere.
With that being said, it is not a beam antenna, it is a J POLE. It only has a half wave over a quarter wave gain on 2m and 440. When I purchased my Arrow OSJ J146/440 I intended to use it to replace an aging Diamond V2000A triband. I intended to use it for D STAR contacts, but I had it mounted 100 feet away from my house, and on a 40 foot pole. I fed it with low loss RG/8U coax. While it worked well on 2m it was a dog on 440. That was a real bummer since my local D STAR repeater was on 440. So, I expect the 100 feet of coax run has given me severe loss on 440. I will take down the Arrow J-Pole and stick my Diamond back up a lot closer to the house on a 20 foot pole. I will feed it with RG/213 military grade coax at only 50 foot. It will be lower in height, but the Diamond has a gain of 8.4 on 440. Overall, for the money this antenna can't be beat, but don't expect it to out perform a Diamond vertical or a directional beam at the same height (or even less) because it can't.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Don't Hesitate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these antennas. The first is permanently mounted on my QTH and the second I use portable. It is easy to assemble and mounts on a push-up pole or military sectional mast. If you need a good antenna for you VHF/UHF station mobile or fixed, get this antenna. You won't be sorry.

KD0YLA Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use my Arrow J146/440 as a permanent base antenna using a FT857 and can hit all the repeaters here on 2m, haven't tried on 440 as of yet, only because most of the repeaters in my area are 2m. This antenna is built like a tank and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb so the neighbors haven't even noticed it up in the air at about 20 feet. I am planning to rise it another 10 foot very soon, this is because the antenna has stood up to the Kansas winds, not much wind load and would like to see if I could hit even more repeaters, already hitting repeaters in Wichita,(about 50-60 miles) just want to try for more, I will buy another arrow antenna for traveling because they are very easy to assemble and built with such tough materials that traveling would be of little concern as to whether the antenna would survive the trip and it can be mounted on just about any kind of mast, no ground plains required so a metal or wooden mast all work the same. Just a great antenna!

W4JRQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2014 20:45 Send this review to a friend
very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very good antenna and for the money you can't beat it. All aluminum. If I needed another 2m /70cm antenna, no doubt the only thing I would look for is the web site to find another!

N5IKG Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2014 08:59 Send this review to a friend
10 years and still good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this antenna for 10 years, just ordered another one for simultaneous fm voice and dig.

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2014 00:41 Send this review to a friend
Durable antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had this antenna up and mounted to a PVC vent stack for six or seven years without coax. When I put it up I also forgot to put the so239 cap back on it. A few weeks ago we developed a leak around another vent stack so it was time to re-tar all of them. While waiting for the weather to dry out, I located a new, but scrap 35 ft piece of rg8x with one 259 attached, and bought a new bucket of tar. Fine steel wool for the threads, contact cleaner for the pin hole, a can of air to dry and clear the steel fragments, followed by a generous round of coax sealer, and plenty of tar for the roof stacks and fingers crossed........

Roof no longer leaked, but only got the solder station hooked up last night for the missing 259, but all is good. Checked into a two meter net over fifty miles away with ease running 10 watts and the SWR was nearly flat. I do have a height advantage with a several mile view in any direction from the rooftop. Definitely a durable product.

VE3VPC Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 07:33 Send this review to a friend
Durable easy to install, and priced right!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this antenna to use in conjunction with my newly purchased Icom id-880h.
I had actually considered home brewing a J-pole but at the price point these sell at, it made sense just to buy.
The material used is very sturdy, and once put together you can tell this unit will withstand quite a bit of punishment from the outdoor elements.
Antenna is mounted just under 25' at the rear of the house.
SWR on both VHF/UHF are quite respectable, on most frequencies I get no higher then 1.2; highest was 1.4 as per my Daiwa 103L.
No issues tripping repeaters 40+ Klm from my QTH.
I would highly recommend one of these.

W1ZE Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2013 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Bang for the buck  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use two of the OSJ 146/440 J-Poles. One I purchased from Arrow and the other I cloned in my workshop. They both work the same but after buying all the parts and stock to build the clone the Arrow model was cheaper. Both perform very well as a half-wave vertical and if i can hear it I can work it.