Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow OSJ Model J146/440
Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Dual-band aluminum j-pole
Wtih better quality SO239 - 3/8-24 Connector. Better Threads and a more precise hole size for the PL259 connection. As of 4-10-05 All OSJ's will have the new connector.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow OSJ Model J146/440.

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 09:09 Send this review to a friend
over 8 years on the tower, 12 years old  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the rare 5. For over 10 years its been in the New England weather, ice, snow, rain, high winds, hurricanes and its still working 100%.

Its located on my tilting tower so every years I get to inspect it. Every years it gets left as is as its just fine visually and by SWR check.

I have a second one that is for emcom and portable work.

Its not a gain antenna nor was that an expectation. My expectation was and has proven
to be its rugged and can withstand abuse.

I recommend it for those around me needing a simple and solid 2/440 antenna.

K5CPF Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the unit with a 2-piece 146 element for portable event / emergency use, since is does not require a ground plane and can stand erect on its own on a tripod (unlike the roll-up which I have for the HT).

I am very impressed by the quality and precision. It's very well engineered and I know I can count on it when needed.

KF7ZQM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof! Ok, nearly bullet proof.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has survived two years in windy Wyoming. I recently climbed up to check out the connections for a little preventative maintenance.The antenna looked absolutely new! I haven't had any problems. It has very flat SWR on 2 Meters. The SWR on 70 CM is higher, but you can't expect perfection on two bands from any antenna. Both bands perform well. It is used daily for contacts with a repeater nearly 50 miles away. I also have a GP146/440 from the same company. That antenna performs well too.

VE2AKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this as a "balcony antenna" in a condo at my QTH since spring 2013 and I am really happy of its performance, impedance is very satisfying on all the 2m band and is also acceptable in the 70cm band. This antenna is mainly used for SSB and analog/DSTAR/Fusion FM nets on the 2m band with some operations near the end of the 70cm band. Its assembly was super simple and the antenna is robust.

Would I recommend this antenna? Sure! This is an ideal companion for a dual-band VHF/UHF radio used for nets/contacts with other "local" stations.

Bonus: a J-Pole is somewhat stealth and does not need any radials or counterpoise wires... Not a disadvantage when you live in a downtown! After 18 months outside, no complaints from my neighbourhood. I am so happy with this one that I will give a try to their OSJ-220.

KJ4FXZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2014 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Arrow Open J Pole  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first Arrow Open J Pole from John Wood WV4J -sk after working with him on a bike ride event. I have since order 2 more and recommended other new Hams to get the antenna. Memphis TN is repeater poor. Repeaters in Memphis all have a good height and work well within 20 or 25 miles. I call a couple of 2m/70cm nets and am told I have an excellent signal.

WK2X Rating: 1/5 Jul 10, 2014 15:42 Send this review to a friend
good on 2m, garbage on 70cm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna from cheapham, maybe that was the problem. It matched almost perfectly on 2m, but terrible on 70cm. The best swr I saw was 2.5:1 on 437MHz, and it quickly got worse on either side, up to over 5:1 at the top of the band where most repeater inputs are. I was a good little Ham and read the other reviews, so I knew good coax was a must. I had used a very short run of LMR-400-UF, so I had a friend at work sweep the coax with an RF analyzer and dummy load. The coax was fine. I tried an ugly balun as suggested, too - still no joy. Even tried making a better choke out of some appropriate toroids. It wasn't near anything metal or any of the other stuff they tell you to watch for, either.

As much as I wanted to like this antenna and make it work, I'm forced to conclude that I got a piece of junk.

Today, I built and tuned a simple so-239 ground plane 1/4 wave, cheated a little and used the whip from an old dual band magnet mount that broke years ago. With the same coax, I have 1.5:1 or less across the entire swath from about 425-470 MHz, and it's also perfect on the whole 2m band. I was able to bring up a UHF repeater over 35 miles away with 15 watts and the antenna 5 feet off the ground. Will be putting it up on the roof after dinner once the silicone is mostly dry. The OSJ will, sadly, stay in the garage as scrap aluminum.

I'm willing to believe that I just got a junker, and that other people have better luck with these. Maybe I should have gotten one direct from Arrow, who knows? Just be aware that you're rolling the dice when you buy.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2014 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Great on 2, lousy on 440  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up several years....great on 2meters but it's a dud on 440....really sucks on 440! Yes, I'm feeding it with Belden 9913 at maybe 50' of coax.

SWR on 440 is great, but for some reason, like the reviewer before, there's huge attenuation on 440....

Antenna is really well built and since here in Northern California we've been forced by the US Air Force to all but shut down 440 repeaters, I'm not missing much on UHF.

Cheers All

N0RRS Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2014 14:14 Send this review to a friend
Good, but lacking on 440  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK, before I get bashed for only giving this antenna a 4 rating let me say that for for $39 you can't find a better dual band J POLE anywhere.
With that being said, it is not a beam antenna, it is a J POLE. It only has a half wave over a quarter wave gain on 2m and 440. When I purchased my Arrow OSJ J146/440 I intended to use it to replace an aging Diamond V2000A triband. I intended to use it for D STAR contacts, but I had it mounted 100 feet away from my house, and on a 40 foot pole. I fed it with low loss RG/8U coax. While it worked well on 2m it was a dog on 440. That was a real bummer since my local D STAR repeater was on 440. So, I expect the 100 feet of coax run has given me severe loss on 440. I will take down the Arrow J-Pole and stick my Diamond back up a lot closer to the house on a 20 foot pole. I will feed it with RG/213 military grade coax at only 50 foot. It will be lower in height, but the Diamond has a gain of 8.4 on 440. Overall, for the money this antenna can't be beat, but don't expect it to out perform a Diamond vertical or a directional beam at the same height (or even less) because it can't.

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Don't Hesitate  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two of these antennas. The first is permanently mounted on my QTH and the second I use portable. It is easy to assemble and mounts on a push-up pole or military sectional mast. If you need a good antenna for you VHF/UHF station mobile or fixed, get this antenna. You won't be sorry.

KD0YLA Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2014 12:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use my Arrow J146/440 as a permanent base antenna using a FT857 and can hit all the repeaters here on 2m, haven't tried on 440 as of yet, only because most of the repeaters in my area are 2m. This antenna is built like a tank and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb so the neighbors haven't even noticed it up in the air at about 20 feet. I am planning to rise it another 10 foot very soon, this is because the antenna has stood up to the Kansas winds, not much wind load and would like to see if I could hit even more repeaters, already hitting repeaters in Wichita,(about 50-60 miles) just want to try for more, I will buy another arrow antenna for traveling because they are very easy to assemble and built with such tough materials that traveling would be of little concern as to whether the antenna would survive the trip and it can be mounted on just about any kind of mast, no ground plains required so a metal or wooden mast all work the same. Just a great antenna!