Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Help

Reviews Summary for Arrow OSJ Model J146/440
Arrow OSJ Model J146/440 Reviews: 172 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Dual-band aluminum j-pole
Wtih better quality SO239 - 3/8-24 Connector. Better Threads and a more precise hole size for the PL259 connection. As of 4-10-05 All OSJ's will have the new connector.
More info: http://www.arrowantennas.com

You can write your own review of the Arrow OSJ Model J146/440.

VA2KK Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2015 09:55 Send this review to a friend
classic simplicity and perfection of workmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
Moved in a condo, after selling our house. The Arrow Open Stub J-Pole has been an awesome solution.

My Arrow (J146/440), mounted on microphone tripod, is located behind a curtain and faces a 180 deg horizon 100+ft abv. ground.

This simple beauty performs exactly as advertised. Before claiming otherwise, one should carefully read about coax and swr : http://www.arrowantennas.com/osj/swr.html

N4ZN Rating: 1/5 Aug 15, 2015 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Not so hot anymore  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this in good faith, reading some of the early reviews, and that it was all but cheaper to buy, than build. Kept it assembled in a "go kit" for a couple years. I had recently decided to go out operating portable HF-UHF, and placed this antenna into service... Or tried to. It is isolated from the mast, but, still horrible performance on UHF. Very high SWR except for a narrow portion in the center of 440-450 MHz (3:1 on ends of the band). Checked the OEM measurements of the elements, and found some to be too long. So, I trimmed it a bit, and it helped... A bit. (2.7:1) it's fine on 2 mtrs. But sucks on 70cm. And, from the looks of the reviews now... This appears to be a trend. Sure, it's cheap. But, if it doesn't perform, not any kind of a good deal.

W7EIR Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2015 16:34 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer on both bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very impressive results from the J146/440 on both bands. Mine is on top of my 150-foot tall high rise in downtown Seattle and is fed with LMR-600 coax. Excellent matches on both bands.

With the J146/440 I have talked through repeaters on both bands in the Vancouver BC area, running only five watts on two meters and 35 watts on 70cm. That's a distance of over 100 miles to the repeaters. This antenna performs.

K2DMV Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2015 16:35 Send this review to a friend
It Just Works  Time owned: more than 12 months
If it doesn't work I have no clue why. Works great on VHF in a space limited space location.
Works great on UHF and D-Star UHF too.

AD4C2006 Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2015 05:47 Send this review to a friend
Great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although I have read the performance of this easy to assemble vertical J pole antenna on UHF is poor, it won't hurt me because I don't have any UHF radio at home to test it.
My opinion is based only on 2M experience with it.
First, it took me just 10 minutes to put it together and half an hour to install it in a 15 foot pole at the side of my home.
Fed with 50 feet of RG-8 to my IC-2100 radio at the shack, I saw in the entire band just 1.2 swr and I can open any repeater within the distance of 40 to 45 miles away from my QTH even been at just 15 feet up. Its obvious this antenna have some gain over the quarter wave ground plane I had before.
For the price I payed from Arrow antennas, its a good deal, perhaps any other vertical from Diamond or Comet will outperform this one but they are all over hundred bucks.
Also most of those known verticals are single wires with coils along a fiberglass tubing and when they are hit by a lightning, they just vaporise, disapear completely, it has happened to me twice, J poles antennas are known for been safer with lightning.
So far I am very pleased with this antenna.

W5KVV Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2015 22:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great antenna at a great value. Mine has been up on the chimney for almost 4 years with zero issues. SWR is 1.1,1.2 across all of VHF, UHF is <1.5 across the band. VERY Pleased with mine. I have since purchased several for portable/"go-bag" use.

KB1GMX Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 09:09 Send this review to a friend
over 8 years on the tower, 12 years old  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the rare 5. For over 10 years its been in the New England weather, ice, snow, rain, high winds, hurricanes and its still working 100%.

Its located on my tilting tower so every years I get to inspect it. Every years it gets left as is as its just fine visually and by SWR check.

I have a second one that is for emcom and portable work.

Its not a gain antenna nor was that an expectation. My expectation was and has proven
to be its rugged and can withstand abuse.

I recommend it for those around me needing a simple and solid 2/440 antenna.

K5CPF Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2014 06:29 Send this review to a friend
Exceeds Expectations!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the unit with a 2-piece 146 element for portable event / emergency use, since is does not require a ground plane and can stand erect on its own on a tripod (unlike the roll-up which I have for the HT).

I am very impressed by the quality and precision. It's very well engineered and I know I can count on it when needed.

KF7ZQM Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2014 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof! Ok, nearly bullet proof.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna has survived two years in windy Wyoming. I recently climbed up to check out the connections for a little preventative maintenance.The antenna looked absolutely new! I haven't had any problems. It has very flat SWR on 2 Meters. The SWR on 70 CM is higher, but you can't expect perfection on two bands from any antenna. Both bands perform well. It is used daily for contacts with a repeater nearly 50 miles away. I also have a GP146/440 from the same company. That antenna performs well too.

VE2AKS Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Works like a charm  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this as a "balcony antenna" in a condo at my QTH since spring 2013 and I am really happy of its performance, impedance is very satisfying on all the 2m band and is also acceptable in the 70cm band. This antenna is mainly used for SSB and analog/DSTAR/Fusion FM nets on the 2m band with some operations near the end of the 70cm band. Its assembly was super simple and the antenna is robust.

Would I recommend this antenna? Sure! This is an ideal companion for a dual-band VHF/UHF radio used for nets/contacts with other "local" stations.

Bonus: a J-Pole is somewhat stealth and does not need any radials or counterpoise wires... Not a disadvantage when you live in a downtown! After 18 months outside, no complaints from my neighbourhood. I am so happy with this one that I will give a try to their OSJ-220.