Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | RadioComm Help

Reviews Summary for RadioComm
RadioComm Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: PC-to-transceiver control program
More info: http://www.arachnoid.com/radiocomm/index.html

You can write your own review of the RadioComm.

N8ZUZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2002 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Great for what I want  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In regards to "you get what you pay for" you get more. I program many Icom radios for new owners and I got sick of programming in the same frequencies time and time again. I use a homebrew CIV interface from http://www.plicht.de/ekki/civ/civ-sch1.html and haven't had problems. I just wish Icom would have made the IC706MkIIG alphanumeric tags uploadable via software.

It seems for me it's a pain that writes in 1.00Mhz into a memory that I want blank. It's a little thing nothing big.

Anyhow, I just use it to program my radios for when I travel and other's. Whoever wrote it, Great Job!

N0HNJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 22, 2001 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Not bad!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having tried several programs to control my IC-746 from my PC, I can honestly say that RadioComm is worth every penny! (it's free!)
While it doesn't contain all the bells and whistles one would like to have, it does work, and works well! It also supports many different radios.
The Icom RS-746 software, while pretty, with a nice graphic of the 746, won't store splits, duplex info, or even both VFOs of the 746. Very limited.
RadioComm uses files in the .csv format - easily created and saved with Excel or other database programs. It allows you to set both VFOs, the mode, a transmit tone for repeaters, and a tone squelch code.
It also has on-screen AF, RF, and squelch controls and a working S-meter. There are buttons to set mode, such as USB, CW, and so on. There are also up/down buttons for tuning in 10 Hz, 100 Hz, 1 Khz, 10 Khz, 100 Khz, and 1 Mhz. Also included is a large digital frequency display.
One of the nicer features of the program is its' ability to write to the physical memories of the IC-746. I created a .csv file of the public service frequencies in my area and saved it to the IC-746 memories. It saved 33 memories in about 12 seconds with the data rate set to 19,200.
Now the downsides. First, there is no support for the program. Nobody to call if there is a problem or question. Given the price, I don't see this as a problem! (Did I mention that it's free?) Second, when the program is started, it automatically loads the first entry in whichever database was used last, along with the previous volume setting. Firing this puppy up at 11:30 PM and discovering you last had the volume set at half-throttle will surely get the XYL's attention! (and by the way, turning the rig itself down doesn't matter - the program sets it where it was last!)
Free, works well, and nice features. That about says it all!