Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-35M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-35M
Astron RS-35M Reviews: 167 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: Astron 35 amp (ICS), 25 amp (continuous) linear regulated power supply.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-35M.

KG7OR Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2017 20:09 Send this review to a friend
Dependable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the '35M for my new HF transceiver due to my experience with an RS-20M that has powered my VHF base stations for 27 years. That one has been so dependable that I've never thought about it in all that time except to turn it on and off. So far (one month) my '35M has lived up to its little brother's reputation. The brightly illuminated meters are a nice touch.

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 10:43 Send this review to a friend
My second look...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yesterday, because of my poor eyesight and frailty, I mistakenly thought I was reading amps instead of volts on my RS-35M. The PS was working perfectly! I am happy to know that my "former" good feelings for Astron have been restored, and I apologize for my error!

WB9MSM Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2017 07:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Power Supply!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Astron RS-35M for over 16 years and it works GREAT! Kind of like the energizer bunny . . . Just keeps working! Highly recommend as a power source for any ham shack. You won't be disappointed!

W9HH Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2017 07:13 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid Power Supply  Time owned: more than 12 months
I guess it's time for a review after 27 years of service. Owned mine since 1990 - Never a problem at all. I worked for a 2-way radio shop at the time this one was purchased. It's what we sold, serviced and had the best luck with.

The RS-35M did not have lighted meters when I acquired mine, so a few years ago I finally decided to install my own blue LED's. It adds a nice touch.

If I ever needed another bench supply for the shack, I'd probably look to Astron first based on the reliability and clean output of this one. highly recommended - My rating is a solid 5 for sure.

W5EJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2016 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine in place and turned on now for 13 years, never an issue, always puts out the same steady 13.8 volts it did when I bought it. It is well grounded and runs 3 HF radios, 2 VHF/UHF radios and countless perhiperals. Highly recommended.

WD5FUN Rating: 1/5 Feb 15, 2016 06:12 Send this review to a friend
Who Engineered this thing?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like a previous reviewer I was astounded to find that after about a year the amp meter light burned out. So I thought I would pop it open, replace the bulb and be back in business. No, there was no bulb to replace, you have to buy a new meter to get one that is lighted. I can't believe that anyone would do that. I am not going to replace it, I just want everyone that sees my shack to see that I have only one meter that lights so I can tell them why not to buy an Astron. I gave it a 1 because it does power my radio.

W3WMU Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2015 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Purchased based on experience  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this unit to replace my 25 year old Astron RS-20 which had died after many years of service. I decided to upgrade to the RS-35M and based this on the RS-20 giving me many years of service. This unit has been great so far and no noise. I still have another RS-20 with 25 plus years of service and it is still working fine. If my other RS-20 dies it will be replaced with another Astron unit. 25 plus years out of any product is pretty good in my book.

VE7TJL Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2015 19:11 Send this review to a friend
New 2015 one, looks good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My trusty switcher died and so I thought I'd try one of these nice, quiet linear supplies. The voltometer read off the scale but a check with a multimeter confirmed 13.8 volts. The included schematic indicated that there was a potentiometer in series with the meter. A phone call to Astron confirmed that would be the thing to look at. I adjusted that and had a look around while I was in there. The soldering work looks good. The build quality is good. I don't have any problem with audible hum and it's quiet on the bands - basically it's great!

W3AMF Rating: 5/5 Dec 21, 2014 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Who Needs Meters?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an Astron RS-35. It has no meters but is electrically identical to the RS-35M. It has been powering a Kenwood TS-570S and a Yaesu FT-2600M and miscellaneous gadgets for more than 20 years. I have not had any problems with it.

WE4RR Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2014 15:29 Send this review to a friend
Exemplary Ham Gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just turned on my two Astron RS35-M power supplies to check them out. They had been sitting turned off for about a year. All is fine with them.

The 25 year old one that ran transceivers and every 12 volt thing in my station continuously 24/7 for 20 years before going half time 5 years ago, and then being turned off when I put in my solar system a year ago, read 14.0 volts on its meter. It was putting out 13.85 volts according to my Fluke DMM an error of 1.1%. It has never had its cover removed for any reason. The newer one I added half time 5 years ago and turned off a year ago was better. It showed 13.8 volts on its meter and was putting out 13.75 volts. Beside the meter errors, the two differed by 0.1 volt in actual output. I think those are great numbers for ham radio power supplies. These are not laboratory instruments, after all, and certainly do not cost anything like what laboratory instruments cost to buy new.

There have been other issues. I had to add a folded over piece of index card between the top cover and the top of the front panel of the newer one when I first got it to stop the hum, but that worked fine and I've never opened it since. Evidently, all of the meter lights burned out so long ago I had forgotten that the meters ever had lights until I read about them burning out here. Guess what? I don't care. I can see the meters well enough to see that the supplies are working with ambient room light.

I believe the Astrons have been about the most reliable pieces of ham equipment I have ever owned. I have two only because, after putting 20 years on the first one, I thought it would be a good idea to have a spare not because there was ever a problem with the first one. I've just hooked equipment up to them and forgotten about them for years and not had a minute's trouble doing that. They have earned a 5 for their intended purpose in my book.