Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-35M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-35M
Astron RS-35M Reviews: 150 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: Astron 35 amp (ICS), 25 amp (continuous) linear regulated power supply.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-35M.

N4TL Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this power supply since 2002. It was damaged by lightning in 2002. The damage was to two transistors, the SCR and a capacitor. I replaced those parts and it has worked fine for 10 years. About a month ago. One of the bridge rectifiers shorted. That caused the fuse to blow. I purchased a new rectifier from Mouser and now the power supply works fine again. I think it is a good design and I would buy one again.

AC9EX Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2012 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Still working great after 5 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this power supply used and have used for my main shack supply for 6 years now without one issue. It is silent running and cool. couldn't ask for any more from a power supply!

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2012 18:04 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good !   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two Astron RS-35M power supplies. No hash. No worries. Just turn 'em on and boogie. Both are as heavy, run as cool, and are as reliable as the day I bought them.

// K8JHR //

AE3K Rating: 3/5 Jul 7, 2012 13:22 Send this review to a friend
cheap transformer causes case to rattle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I remember years ago working with Astron power supplies and at the time they were completely silent during operation, even at full load.

So I was pretty disappointed when my new RS-35M exhibited significant hum during operation. This is not hum on the power line, but hum you can hear.

Sitting with no load, it is loud enough to be distracting in a quiet room. When I draw 20 amps, it is much loader and sounds like a cheap CB power supply.

Based on my investigation with the cover off, I don't think the problem is excessive motion of the transformer parts. It is almost silent without the cover. But with the cover, it is loud. I believe what is probably happening is that the transformer has too much "inductive loss" and too much magnetic field is outside the transformer. This gets coupled to the metal case and causes it to vibrate. That's my theory, anyway.

I've read other reviews, where people shim things here and stuff things there. I don't think that's the right idea.

I'd love the name of a quality supplier of linear power supplies. I thought that was Astron, but I've reconsidered that opinion based on my recent purchase.

N6OSB Rating: 5/5 Apr 24, 2012 00:07 Send this review to a friend
5 Years - Zero problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
PS works great!
-No added noise on ham bands
-Works flawlessly

WB0BBC Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Very Dependable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had 2 of these fine power supplies over the past 20 years. I've used them with various HF 100 watt transceivers and had absolutely no problem.

One of the supplies was previously owned by Gary, N4KVE as described below. I haven't had any need to do maintenance on these supplies, and I would very likely purchase them again.

No switching power supplies are in use at my QTH. I'm happy with the heavier and larger power supply.

N4PY Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Great long term reliablility  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Astron 35M has been on continuously since March, 1994 except for when thunderstorms are in the area. I've never even had the covers off this supply. I run 6 radios from this supply and it's always ready for use. It's a fantastic work horse for my station.

K4FX Rating: 0/5 Oct 11, 2011 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Review Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, now this 35M is going into the random shutdown issue, I am going through it again. As soon as I get a new different brand supply, I will be offering this one for free, just pay shipping, so Astron lovers keep your eyes open. It managed to run about 3 years after I re-built it. But now the common issue of random shutdown has started. This is the most unreliable piece of gear I have ever owned in 33 years of hamming.

So many people think these things are good supplies, and if you don't put any stress on them they may get you by. Try contesting, or run RTTY/SSTV and see what happens. I too bragged on the pieces of junk until I got into RTTY some years back.

See this web site and see what the hams in the know have to say about Astron power supplies.
If you are looking to buy a supply, keep looking, save yourself some grief.

N4KVE Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 09:46 Send this review to a friend
GREAT POWER SUPPLY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a couple of these since the mid 80's. Been on 24/7. Back in 92 we had a hurricane, & after a power surge, both units died. Went to the "Shack" & picked up a couple of regulator chips for $2 each & that fixed them. Both units have been fine since then. A real workhorse. Switching supplies have their place for VHF/UHF radios, but HF radios need these big heavy units with huge transformers. The birdies stay away. GARY N4KVE

KI0Z Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2011 06:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I Have 2 RS-35m Power Supplies for about 21 years. They have never had a problem, They just preform as required. Never a problem! I would highly Recommend these linear supplies.NO switching Noise !