Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-35M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-35M
Astron RS-35M Reviews: 166 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: Astron 35 amp (ICS), 25 amp (continuous) linear regulated power supply.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-35M.

W3DDF Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 10:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had this power supply for about 5 months and it working great. Glad I purchased an Astron power supply.

WM4RB Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 09:56 Send this review to a friend
GREAT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've have 2 ham shacks and they are powered by the RS-35M. Both have been running, (one non stop) for 11 years. I couldn't ask for a better preforming power supply!!!!

REMOVED_ACCOUNT_2015-01-09 Rating: 0/5 Sep 13, 2014 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Quality has gone down  Time owned: more than 12 months
Never ceases to amaze me when someone writes a negative review on eHam immediately the same day two or more positive reviews come online praising the product.

Purchased my Astron RS-35M four years ago. The day it arrived I took off the covers to inspect the quality of the parts and the soldering job. The leads were soldered onto the terminals leaving 1 to 2 inches. Standard practice is to cut whatever remains after soldering. Been the standard since the 1930's but Astron seems to have forgotten that the past decade or so. They hire Illegal Mexicans in California and cannot instruct them since they don't speak English and we the consumer suffer because of it. For that much money one spends you want quality work.

My two meters burn't out within 2 years and I called for the replacement bulbs which normally would cost a couple of bucks apiece. Was shocked to learn I had to purchase new meters since you cannot replace just the bulbs. These meters cost around 50 bucks and after calling for a week complaining they got rid of me by sending me the meters free of charge. They should specify that in their sales literature to warn consumers the life of the bulb and replacement of meters is mandatory. It is deceitful. If I would have known this I would not have purchased it.

I have not had problems with current or voltage on this unit but the meter issue is something so basic and the lack of soldering skills is very disturbing. I will not purchase another Astron when this one goes to the graveyard. There is no other game in town but I will go to a Switching Power Supply with another company.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 1985. Ran it 24/7 for years. Finally failed in 2013. A $6 fix and it is running again. Quiet (virtually no hum), stable 13.8vdc. I have 2 of Astron's switching supplies and they are great but I hate the RF noise they create.

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my RS35 in 1994. It has been in continuous service ever since, with the exception of 2003. That year we moved and I was slow getting set back up. It's bullet proof.

K2WH Rating: 1/5 Sep 13, 2014 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Blown Out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Awful supply.

I have had this for about 1 year and very early on, the voltmeter is reading way high around 15 vdc when the measured output on a Fluke meter is 13.7. Recently the transformer started to hum, audible noise. After 3 days of this hum, it went kablewy. Main power fuse blew, replace the fuse and kablewy. I thought the RS-35M and upgrade from the run of the mill 25 amp, no meter supplies. I wanted a linear supply to cut down on hash on my receivers. Well, I guess I'll go back to the old dependable 22 amp ones.

K2WH

WB6DGN Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Quick, cheap repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
"Four new power transistors (and a few other little things), 1 hour, and, get this, $20, it was fixed and working."

Yes, I've not experienced a company that is so reasonable with their repair parts cost. I called to order the transistor sockets, emitter resistors and other parts to rebuild the heat sink components on an RS50. What did I get? I got TWO NEW HEATSINKS with all the parts assembled and prewired, ready to install and all they charged me was $20.00 each. I figured it out and it amounted to ONLY $5.00 over the parts cost for all that labor. Can't beat that. For me there IS no other brand.
Tom

KA4AQM Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Never use anything else!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If the room is quiet enough, they ALL hum....hummmmmmmmmmm...that's what transformers do; some louder, some softer.

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 05:51 Send this review to a friend
1992 still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
24/7/365 for 22 years....(except pwr outages)
What more can I say.

N3HSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 17:52 Send this review to a friend
1990 Unit Still Going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still using this power supply that I purchased back in 1990. Never had a problem with it, meters still work and are accurate. According to my trusty Fluke voltmeter, it is putting out 13.8 volts now just like it did 24 years ago.

Only recently has the unit started to hum a little. Does it regardless of being under load or idle. So guess it is time to do a little tinkering and see if I can remedy that. With all the resources on the web regarding these supplies, that shouldn't be too difficult.