Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | Astron RS-35M Help

Reviews Summary for Astron RS-35M
Astron RS-35M Reviews: 163 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $169.95
Description: Astron 35 amp (ICS), 25 amp (continuous) linear regulated power supply.

You can write your own review of the Astron RS-35M.

WC4R Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine in 1985. Ran it 24/7 for years. Finally failed in 2013. A $6 fix and it is running again. Quiet (virtually no hum), stable 13.8vdc. I have 2 of Astron's switching supplies and they are great but I hate the RF noise they create.

KG8JF Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my RS35 in 1994. It has been in continuous service ever since, with the exception of 2003. That year we moved and I was slow getting set back up. It's bullet proof.

K2WH Rating: 1/5 Sep 13, 2014 04:53 Send this review to a friend
Blown Out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Awful supply.

I have had this for about 1 year and very early on, the voltmeter is reading way high around 15 vdc when the measured output on a Fluke meter is 13.7. Recently the transformer started to hum, audible noise. After 3 days of this hum, it went kablewy. Main power fuse blew, replace the fuse and kablewy. I thought the RS-35M and upgrade from the run of the mill 25 amp, no meter supplies. I wanted a linear supply to cut down on hash on my receivers. Well, I guess I'll go back to the old dependable 22 amp ones.

K2WH

WB6DGN Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Quick, cheap repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
"Four new power transistors (and a few other little things), 1 hour, and, get this, $20, it was fixed and working."

Yes, I've not experienced a company that is so reasonable with their repair parts cost. I called to order the transistor sockets, emitter resistors and other parts to rebuild the heat sink components on an RS50. What did I get? I got TWO NEW HEATSINKS with all the parts assembled and prewired, ready to install and all they charged me was $20.00 each. I figured it out and it amounted to ONLY $5.00 over the parts cost for all that labor. Can't beat that. For me there IS no other brand.
Tom

KA4AQM Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 06:59 Send this review to a friend
Never use anything else!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If the room is quiet enough, they ALL hum....hummmmmmmmmmm...that's what transformers do; some louder, some softer.

KT4WO Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2014 05:51 Send this review to a friend
1992 still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
24/7/365 for 22 years....(except pwr outages)
What more can I say.

N3HSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 9, 2014 17:52 Send this review to a friend
1990 Unit Still Going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still using this power supply that I purchased back in 1990. Never had a problem with it, meters still work and are accurate. According to my trusty Fluke voltmeter, it is putting out 13.8 volts now just like it did 24 years ago.

Only recently has the unit started to hum a little. Does it regardless of being under load or idle. So guess it is time to do a little tinkering and see if I can remedy that. With all the resources on the web regarding these supplies, that shouldn't be too difficult.

W6HVH Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2014 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Quick cheap repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using this power supply for about 17 years. 1 1/2 years ago it stopped working. I drove down to Astron in Irvine, CA. Four new power transistors (and a few other little things), 1 hour, and, get this, $20, it was fixed and working.

I'll buy another when I need it. Great customer service!

WA4NUN Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2013 16:29 Send this review to a friend
Almost 10 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ohhh the horrror! Just checked after almost 10 years of mostly running 24/7 with two different DVOM's and had to adjust the meter for about .25 volts, and that is the worst thing that has happened to this PSU in almost 10 years. I also have had a model 12 for almost 25 years, a model 20 bought in like new condition about five years ago. All three are still cooking just fine. Oh yeah, linear is so non-green cuz it uses 10-15% more energy vs a noisy fan cooling, RF polluting switcher with a limited lifespan. This super green attitude is good when it really saves money, but how green is it to have replaced power supplies two or three times by now....and have rattling fans in your head at the same time?

Linear Supplies i.e. Astron work, not broke...do not need to fix them

TF3JB Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
The Astron RS-35M; an excellent power supply.  Time owned: more than 12 months

The Astron RS-35M; an excellent power supply.

I bought my Astron RS-35M power supply in 2011. Shortly before, I had sold off my HF transceiver and Diamond GSV-3000 linear power supply. Although I had always been pleased with that power supply for base station HF and VHF use, I decided to upgrade to Astron. The many problems other hams had experienced with dissimilar brand names of switching power supplies kept me from considering anything but a linear supply.

I ordered the RS-35M from R&L Electronics (in Ohio) and they contacted the manufacturer and made a special order for a 230VAC 50/60Hz [European] version of the supply. This took extra two weeks, since the guys at R&L only had the 115VAC domestic version in stock. Hence, the new RS-35M was in my hands within 3 weeks from confirming the order and it was in fact waiting in the shack when a new HF/50 MHz transceiver arrived.

In my case, I always want equipment and accessories that I buy (or build) to be functional, of good quality and if possible, nice to look at. In case of the RS-35M, I like the [rather] large black box design. The same goes for the placement, design and size of the current and voltage meters. And the illuminated on/off switch gives off exactly the right amount of brightness. I am also pleased with the size of the plastic feet and the overall finish. This unit gives off a feeling of quality and visiting hams notice it in the shack.

The RS-35M has now been in [almost] daily service over 2 years. I must say that I am extremely pleased with the performance. First of all, it is absolutely silent under all conditions; it feels like there is no transformer in there. And the supply is not tucked away, but rather up close to the operator as can be seen my web-page on QRZ.COM. The voltage is rock steady at 13.8 VDC (I have never had to change the internal setting). The transceiver I use draws a maximum of 23A so the RS-35M is within specifications (it can provide a maximum of 25A). I want to mention that I particularly like that the robust connectors are located at the back and also how easily accessible they are.

During times of heavy operating and in contests, the supply’s huge heat sinks (at the back) get very hot. Under such conditions even the front side of the supply gets warm when touched (although not hot). I have at times wondered whether the openings on top of the supply should be larger for it to be able to radiate more heat more rapidly (since there is no fan). These worries have though faded with time, since the RS-35M is well protected, i.e. with fold-back current limiting and overvoltage protection.

In closing, I must share my displeasure about one thing: The illuminated meters flicker on transmit; the reason being that the meter lights are wired to the unregulated part of the supply (22.5V). I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier reviewer (N2IDW) who said that this makes the supply look weak. It certainly does and is the reason that I moved the RS-35M out of line of sight in the shack. N2IDW suggests a remedy that he carried out, which is to rewire the meters to the regulated 13.8V. He says that the lights are a bit dimmer, but steady. I have yet to do this modification. Despite this, I will grade the Astron RS-35M at 5.0, but strongly suggest to Astron to fix this imperfection soonest.

Closing comments: I can fully recommend the RS-35M to other hams. In my experience, this is a quality linear power supply for those who need up to 25A in the shack.

73 de Jónas, TF3JB.