Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 78 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

WD9IDV Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 08:47 Send this review to a friend
16 Years and Still Working Perfectly!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well what can I say that I have not said before. Sixteen years since original purchase and still in use almost everyday. I run mine at 1100-1250 watts on occasions with no issues. Normally its run at the 1000 watts. SSTV at 1KW no issues.

I use a Tripp Lite Isobar 4-Outlet 200-240V surge protector, and I think this helps with longevity...hopefully.

Factor original cost and amortize in 16 plus years, and thats a pretty good deal.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2017 05:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had the Quadra now for 3 years and it is working fine with a buck boost. No problems here.

K6RMJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 08:03 Send this review to a friend
best solid state amp in existance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for 4 years. Not a bit of trouble. My own opinion there is a solid state amp that is as easy to set up as this one.Fully automatic. I just wish Yeasu would come out with a 2 KW solid state amp. I would buy it in a flash.
K6RMJ,

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2016 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Great but manual details lacking  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this amp. Have had it 10+ years and have it set for 1 KW output, although it will do 1200 watts. Not worth running it at 1.2KW output for a fraction of a dB gain. READ the manual completely!! Once set up for your shack, there will only be 1-2 buttons to push. Now, years ago I got extra published information from "gurus" on this amp and put notations in my manual's side columns on various pages. The understanding of the amp's workings is hard if you only read the basic manual. Subtleties exist. If you want to run a 2nd rig to the inputs and one is NOT a Yaesu then things are not easy unless you know the DIN connections and phono inputs etc.. I do run an Icom on RTTY about 8 feet away on 40 and 80m, but the transceiver input on the amp has to be changed from 1 to 2, etc. It is worth the expense to get this amp if you have a Yaesu transceiver. Seamless band switching. I NEVER use the internal tuner, as it is not designed for high SWR reactances, so I use my Nye Viking 3KW tuner. NEVER, NEVER use an amp's built in tuner in series with the input of an external tuner. That goes for all amps and external tuner setups. This amp and the power supply on the floor, once set up properly, have never had to be messed with. Read elsewhere about always turn on the ext supply FIRST, making sure AC is connected at ALL times before turning on the amp RF deck per se. NEVER turn on and off the AC mains to the PS with the amp PS in the "ON" position. And, turn on PS first ALWAYS, then the RF deck. Do not turn on the PS from your AC breaker with the PS in the "ON" position. Leave AC breaker ON and control amp system with the ON switch of the PS. See ... this can be complicated. Product Reviews are important to read!! Otherwise the manual is too brief and can be costly if you make a couple of avoidable mistakes. Good luck!

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2016 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Solid amp, flawless performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this amp used about one year ago, I have used it very heavily in several contests running at 1000W SSB for 24-48hrs without a rest. I have also used the amp in RTTY contests running it for almost 24 hours continuously at 500W with no issues at all. It is very solidly built and very easy to use, the screen is very well designed and displays the information in an easy to read manner.

I have one main negative on the amp to point out, the amp must be turned on fully for the antenna to pass through. So even if you want to run 100w barefoot you NEED to have the amp ON. To get around this I configured some antenna switches to be able to bypass the amp completely when barefoot so that I can leave the amp off when it is not required.

The built in antenna tuner will not work magic, it is meant to "touch up" your SWR. If you are planning to justify the purchase of this amp by getting rid of your high power turner don't! I use a Palstar HF-Auto tuner with this setup, they seem to work perfectly together.

All in all I am very pleased with this amplifier, it works perfectly with both my FDTX-3000 as well as my FT-991. I hear that it works very nicely with ICOM radios as well in case you worried about being "stuck" with a Yaesu radio ;)

N3CML Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2016 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Love my Yaesu VL-100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Yaesu Vl-1000 amplifier for my Ham Radio shack. I noticed the specs required a 220v single phase line.
I thought 220/230/250 is all the same. I know when I had a 208 volt 3 phase motor to install if the motor was not rated for 208volts we used buck boost transformers.
I contacted many of the users here and they shared with me what they were using.
Today’s electronic equipment requires the voltage to be what the manufacturer wants. I had 250 vac. The new piece of equipment required 220 vac.
I was recommended a transformer by another manufacturer. The price was steep. I searched on the internet and I found Jefferson Buck/ Boost transformers. They met the specs I needed and they had a cross over sheet. Yes, a direct replacement for the one that was recommended.
The price was a lot lower, the same specs, free shipping and a 10 year Warranty.
Here is the link https://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/buckboosttransformerspecs.pdf

Anyway, I am a happy camper.
Joe N3CML

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 05:11 Send this review to a friend
QUADRA QUESTIONS-EMAIL ME  Time owned: more than 12 months
The quadra amp is a good amp I have had it for 2 years now. I highly recommend it.

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2016 17:49 Send this review to a friend
1 Year Later  Time owned: more than 12 months
A little over a year of use and still as happy as the day I bought it. Just an amazing amplifier that always works perfectly. Vey grateful to have such a wonderful piece of equipment, and would buy it again without hesitation.

KU4FX Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2016 09:08 Send this review to a friend
a great amp plug in and play   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this amp for about two weeks in that time I have fallen in love with it. 1 kw all day long and still runs cool. I give it a 5 because it runs flawless hook it up and forget about. I have not used any other transceivers other than my FT450-D and FT991. Just turn your rig on and the amp is ready to go.

K2EQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2016 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding amp  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Six months in daily service now and flawless operation. Using with FTDX 1200, thought I would upgrade to the 3000 or 5000 but cannot find a good reason. Smooth easy operation band to band freq to freq. Panel could have better contrast and be brighter, current settings are dim and dimmer. They make you open up the unit to modify and get 10 and 12 M, why, I havent a clue unless they want to force you to see first hand the wonderful quality of the build. Not close to the cheapest but close to if not the very best. If lightning strikes and makes it toast, I will buy another.