Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 76 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 13:56 Send this review to a friend
REVISION  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My review written yesterday needs a modification. The power supply DOES HAVE A PROBLEM WITH VOLTAGE over 240 VAC. Let me repeat. This is a CORRECTION TO THE PREVIOUS REVIEW: The voltage SHOULD NOT GO OVER 240 VAC. So again, get a buck boost.

If you have questions, use my call sign on qrz.com and get my email and email me. I'll answer promptly.

Ed

KG5ABW

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 15:48 Send this review to a friend
THE FAN ISSUE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Some on this site have made negative comments on the fans of the amp and the power supply. I have one and the fans ARE NOT too loud. Yes, you notice when they kick in (heat controlled), but they are not in any way too loud. I guess the could be if one has the bak side of the amp and power supply pointed to your facial direction, but I find them to be very acceptable. They simply are not loud by any means. Also, they are not on all the time. They are temperature controlled so that they go on and off depending if there is a load on them. They do not stay on all the time. I'm posting this to debunk some things said about them.

Ed KG5ABW

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2014 11:27 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMPLIFIER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm writing this in hopes of helping other hams considering buying the QUADRA. It is worth the money. First, read the manual. If you are using a Yaesu FTDX3000 you WILL have to buy a CT-178 cable to connect the radio to the amp. Second, it is a MUST to BUY A BUCK BOOST. I bought the SB16N.1F I believe is the correct number. I had 249.8 VAC coming in. I called Yaesu; they said many hams are using this model. I bought it. YOU WILL NEED a Master Electrician or a very good electrician to make the proper connection. I used diagram 3 for those of you who buy one. This "BUCKS" the power down from 250 VAC to 230 - 231 VAC and I called Yaesu. They said that was good the AMP likes that voltage. If you use 240 VAC IT WILL DAMAGE IT according to Yaesu. The buck boost cost about 190.00 with shipping. Also, the buck boost will get hot, but it can work up to around 215 degrees F. When not in use I turn off the MASTER breaker first on the back of the VP1000 - the power supply, then I unplug the buck boost. My SWR on each antenna is less than 2.4 to 1 so it tunes up easily. It WILL NOT tune SWR that is 3 or above. I advise you to call Yaesu technical support when you have the buck boost wired and get ready to set it up for the first time. I have 10, 15,17, 20, 40, and 80 meter antennas. The 17, 40, and 80 are dipoles. The other are on a Cushcraft A3S.

I cannot emphasize enough BUY A BUCK BOOST. Better safe than sorry. Yaesu cannot recommend a buck boost but if you have 250 VAC coming in line then the one I have will serve you well.

It is a great system and I highly recommend it. I bought mine at the end on September 2014. I have put it thru the ringer so to speak and it is working fine. I did however burn up a 40 meter balun, but it was from what I consider a non-reliable company. In my opinion use a current balun rather than a voltage balun if you can. If you have question you can look at my QRZ.COM page for KG5ABW and email me and I will answer quickly.

Again, if you have a Yaesu FTDX3000 you will have to buy the CT-178 cable for it to work. Also, some people make the mistake and not make sure the antenna on the amp as it is on your radio. They must match. Also, if you have questions email me. I've gone thru this recently. I used a Master Electrician and we tested the output of the buck boost after we wired it and before we made a permanent connection to the amp (putting a twist plug and Scotch 33 tape on it); it read 230 and 231 VAC. Then we made the necessary wraps on the wires to the amp.

I wish you the best with the QUADRA. It works great if you do everything I have mentioned right and get Yaesu technical support on the phone and let them walk you thru the first use of it. Yaesu technical support is top notch. No short cuts there.

Best wishes and 73,

Ed KG5ABW

K9SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Failed a second time, this time at 125 volts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If it failed for the second time, why would I rate it a FIVE? Because it's really a fine product. But here's what's going on:

Inrush current is limited by the notorious R2A/B/C string of resistors. Once the large value input capacitors are charged, the resistors are bypassed by relay X1. Inrush current is limited by the three 5.6 ohm resistors and the small resistance of the line filter inductors. Call it 20 ohms total. Inrush current is then 15.4 amperes peak with a 220 volt input. During this time the 5 watt R2 resistors are possibly subjected to over 1300 watts of dissipation (peak).
But this is only for a short time (probably no more than 8.3mS) so the resistors can handle that.
The problem is if you apply line voltage when the front panel switch is ON, there is a load on the input capacitors and they take much longer to charge. Relay X1 takes much longer to operate and the resistors are subjected to over-dissipation for a much longer period of time. The result is the obvious failures of one or more of the R2A/B/C resistors.
I have (had) a main breaker switch in the shack which I usually throw when I leave. I seldom turned off the power supply at the front panel switch. Even at 125 volts, it was just a matter of time.
Note that the front panel switch does not disconnect the AC mains. They are always connected unless the rear breaker is thrown. So the solution is simple: just keep the power supply connected to a hot AC main at all times. If you have to unplug it for any reason, make sure the load is not connected and that the front panel switch is OFF when you plug it back in.
It would have been nice if Yaesu had figured this out over the past 10 years of problems, but in the end I have to agree that this is an otherwise incredible product. I doubt that the autotransformers are necessary as long as the AC mains stay connected. They won't hurt, but they won't help with this problem (mine failed even at 125 volts). Note that this can still be an issue if you experience multiple power failures and are caught with the front panel switch in the ON position.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Love & Marriage !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The QUADRA & FTdx 5000d Are plug & play . I have
the latest version of the tuner (7) so i get 1000w
out both with the tuner in or out . I had to remove the cover to get 12 & 10 ,the build quality
is OUTSTANDING with genuine MICROWAVE ASC. MRF 150 s NO shortcuts here . I put in an INRAD 2.4K filter in my FTdx5000D & the results are a much sharper receiver (3.0K is just too wide fer me).
I went with Federal Pacific model SB12N.500F &
Wired it fer 240 volts in with 220 out just to be
on the safe side. The latest Tech Manual wants 200,220 & 232 volts fer the VP-1000 . Latest version is on the internet.

VA3TS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Quadra for 4 years, picked it up used from a ham in California. Had the resistor issue at the begining, replaced those and have had no issues since. I live in a rural area and power fluctuations, dropouts can happen anytime especially in winter. So I use a contactor relay to drop out the power to the amp if there is any dropout of the utility power. This one is a 220v relay with a pushbutton. Press the button to pick up the relay and seal it in.(just like a stop/start station) If the power drops out, then the relay drops out too and keeps the poser off till I reset it. You can add surge devices also if you like. I have a similar thing for 120vac to protect the FT5000. The whole shack , used as a complete system is hard to beat, along with the DX-view software and any who come by are impressed with the level of automation. Others my not like that, but I do, this is a winner.

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
An incredible design with ample features !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this Quadra System for nearly a year and don't regret nor feel any remorse for selling my Alpha 9500. The Yaesu has a great number of internal memories that make instantaneous band switching, amplifier tuning, and antenna tuning possible.
If you have up to four antennas with SWR readings of less than 3.0 within your usable allocations, the amp will be a dream come true. I have this amplifier mated to the two input selections for both my Yaesu rigs and between the automatic bandswitching i can't think of anything faster, more efficient, and having less clutter in the shack for a true KW amplifier that covers 160 through 10 meters including the 12 + 15m warc bands as well as a KW at 6meters.
I've had no issues whatsoever. Plug and play. It's that easy.

K9SO Rating: 0/5 Feb 23, 2014 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Warning: May be damaged from USA Power Line voltages  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My brand new Quadra (3 weeks of service) has failed due to the dreaded 240Vac "over-voltage" failure.

I read the specs carefully before I purchased it and the voltage input to the power supply is stated as "100-240Vac". I interpreted this to mean that it will work on standard 240V USA power line voltage. I was wrong.

As I discovered later, they meant "240V MAXIMUM". Yaesu has told me verbally and in writing after the fact that anything over 244 volts will damage the unit (usually the hard-to-replace input fuse resistors).

Yaesu also says that you should only operate this at 500w or less with 120V service. So what are we supposed to do?

Now, the USA standard residential line voltage is 240V NOMINAL +/- 5%. The common thinking of "220 volts" is wrong. My line voltage measures 246v and when I contacted Commonwealth Edison about my "high line voltage", they simply said it was within their spec. Indeed it was.

I refer you to the ANSI specification C84.1 where USA residential voltage standards are set. Even the power company that provides the line voltage to the Yaesu service center in California follows ANSI C84.1. Pacific Power's own specifications can be found here. Note the 252V maximum specification:

Yaesu America knows this is a problem and for years has chosen not to correct it or even to post a warning about it. They choose instead to make us discover the problem ourselves, ship the unit back to them (no simple task by the way), and then suggest we buy a $150 buck-boost transformer as the only way to make this work reliably.

Caveat Emptor! Most USA residential power line voltages are 240V NOMINAL. Not 220. Not 230. 240v +/- 5%.

I'll change my rating to a 5 when Yaesu sends me a check for $150 to pay for the buck-boost transformer I need for equipment they openly sell in the USA. Until then, their corporate irresponsibility earns them a zero.

In fairness, they waived the shipping fees and fixed the unit at no cost to me other than the inconvenience of shipping it back. So maybe they deserve a "1".

Nah, I'm still angry about this. Zero it is.

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Good enough for ARRL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used it a couple times in Connecticut and loved it. I am now looking to buy my own to complement my 5000mp. I am glad for all the reviews here to help me make my decision but have to admit I have no clue what VK3ZAZ was trying to say. Maybe edit and try again? Just saying...

Robert

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2013 19:15 Send this review to a friend
5+ Years of Trouble Free Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an update to my previous review. The Yaesu Quadra in my station continues to serve me well after 5+ years of use. I have been completely satisfied with its trouble free operation.

I continue to use the amplifier weekly with a FT-1000mp Mark-V. I really enjoy using that combination and its operation is seamless. Once turned on, the amplifier does not require any further attention from the operator.

The amp is well protected if you have everything set up and calibrated correctly, especially the ALC. I never worry about the amplifier being damaged, because it will fault out if something goes awry. That allows you to concentrate on hamming and less about the status of your equipment.

If you have a Yaesu HF rig, and you want to add an amplifier to your station, the Quadra is the logical choice.