Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 72 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Love & Marriage !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The QUADRA & FTdx 5000d Are plug & play . I have
the latest version of the tuner (7) so i get 1000w
out both with the tuner in or out . I had to remove the cover to get 12 & 10 ,the build quality
is OUTSTANDING with genuine MICROWAVE ASC. MRF 150 s NO shortcuts here . I put in an INRAD 2.4K filter in my FTdx5000D & the results are a much sharper receiver (3.0K is just too wide fer me).
I went with Federal Pacific model SB12N.500F &
Wired it fer 240 volts in with 220 out just to be
on the safe side. The latest Tech Manual wants 200,220 & 232 volts fer the VP-1000 . Latest version is on the internet.

VA3TS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Quadra for 4 years, picked it up used from a ham in California. Had the resistor issue at the begining, replaced those and have had no issues since. I live in a rural area and power fluctuations, dropouts can happen anytime especially in winter. So I use a contactor relay to drop out the power to the amp if there is any dropout of the utility power. This one is a 220v relay with a pushbutton. Press the button to pick up the relay and seal it in.(just like a stop/start station) If the power drops out, then the relay drops out too and keeps the poser off till I reset it. You can add surge devices also if you like. I have a similar thing for 120vac to protect the FT5000. The whole shack , used as a complete system is hard to beat, along with the DX-view software and any who come by are impressed with the level of automation. Others my not like that, but I do, this is a winner.

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
An incredible design with ample features !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this Quadra System for nearly a year and don't regret nor feel any remorse for selling my Alpha 9500. The Yaesu has a great number of internal memories that make instantaneous band switching, amplifier tuning, and antenna tuning possible.
If you have up to four antennas with SWR readings of less than 3.0 within your usable allocations, the amp will be a dream come true. I have this amplifier mated to the two input selections for both my Yaesu rigs and between the automatic bandswitching i can't think of anything faster, more efficient, and having less clutter in the shack for a true KW amplifier that covers 160 through 10 meters including the 12 + 15m warc bands as well as a KW at 6meters.
I've had no issues whatsoever. Plug and play. It's that easy.

K9SO Rating: 0/5 Feb 23, 2014 07:01 Send this review to a friend
Warning: May be damaged from USA Power Line voltages  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My brand new Quadra (3 weeks of service) has failed due to the dreaded 240Vac "over-voltage" failure.

I read the specs carefully before I purchased it and the voltage input to the power supply is stated as "100-240Vac". I interpreted this to mean that it will work on standard 240V USA power line voltage. I was wrong.

As I discovered later, they meant "240V MAXIMUM". Yaesu has told me verbally and in writing after the fact that anything over 244 volts will damage the unit (usually the hard-to-replace input fuse resistors).

Yaesu also says that you should only operate this at 500w or less with 120V service. So what are we supposed to do?

Now, the USA standard residential line voltage is 240V NOMINAL +/- 5%. The common thinking of "220 volts" is wrong. My line voltage measures 246v and when I contacted Commonwealth Edison about my "high line voltage", they simply said it was within their spec. Indeed it was.

I refer you to the ANSI specification C84.1 where USA residential voltage standards are set. Even the power company that provides the line voltage to the Yaesu service center in California follows ANSI C84.1. Pacific Power's own specifications can be found here. Note the 252V maximum specification:

Yaesu America knows this is a problem and for years has chosen not to correct it or even to post a warning about it. They choose instead to make us discover the problem ourselves, ship the unit back to them (no simple task by the way), and then suggest we buy a $150 buck-boost transformer as the only way to make this work reliably.

Caveat Emptor! Most USA residential power line voltages are 240V NOMINAL. Not 220. Not 230. 240v +/- 5%.

I'll change my rating to a 5 when Yaesu sends me a check for $150 to pay for the buck-boost transformer I need for equipment they openly sell in the USA. Until then, their corporate irresponsibility earns them a zero.

In fairness, they waived the shipping fees and fixed the unit at no cost to me other than the inconvenience of shipping it back. So maybe they deserve a "1".

Nah, I'm still angry about this. Zero it is.

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Good enough for ARRL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used it a couple times in Connecticut and loved it. I am now looking to buy my own to complement my 5000mp. I am glad for all the reviews here to help me make my decision but have to admit I have no clue what VK3ZAZ was trying to say. Maybe edit and try again? Just saying...

Robert

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2013 19:15 Send this review to a friend
5+ Years of Trouble Free Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an update to my previous review. The Yaesu Quadra in my station continues to serve me well after 5+ years of use. I have been completely satisfied with its trouble free operation.

I continue to use the amplifier weekly with a FT-1000mp Mark-V. I really enjoy using that combination and its operation is seamless. Once turned on, the amplifier does not require any further attention from the operator.

The amp is well protected if you have everything set up and calibrated correctly, especially the ALC. I never worry about the amplifier being damaged, because it will fault out if something goes awry. That allows you to concentrate on hamming and less about the status of your equipment.

If you have a Yaesu HF rig, and you want to add an amplifier to your station, the Quadra is the logical choice.

N1EJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2013 11:17 Send this review to a friend
The best I've owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I,ve had my Quadra for 17 months, bought new HRO. This is a sweetheart. Turn it on and go. No warm up. It delivers considerly more power than rated for.The builin tuner works perfect,band switches as soon as you hit the key, if connected to a Yaesu transceiver. I also use mine with an Icom 7600 it takes a couple more steps to get it going. No Issues!!!!

VA7OJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Still flawless after 14+ years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
14+ years in my station and still chugging along! I now have the Quadra connected to two exciters, IC-7700 and IC-7600, with a switchbox to switch the Band Data 2 cable to either exciter as needed.

VE7ON Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Best amp so far!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Quadra for about a year and a half now and bought it new from Radio World. There has been no problems whatever so far. I have owned many amps throughout my 40+ years as a ham but this is the best. I worried at first that it did not put out the full 1500 but that has not been a problem. I have cracked many pile-ups and have had lots of "big signal" reports. I also have a Henry amp that produces more power but I almost never use it. The Quadra matches my FT9000 and they follow each other perfectly. No band switching and no tuning up, and best of all NO 3 minute warm up. It is definitely all solid state from now on for me.

Gordon, ve7on

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2012 18:57 Send this review to a friend
I'M HAPPY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the new VL-1000 since Saturday, Had a ICOM PW1 for five years, it served me well. Took me 3 days to rearrange my station to make everything fit, they are 2 BIG units to fit in a small radio area I have. The Quadra works as it should (GREAT) had to design new switching circuits so I could use 3HF radios an feed 5 antennas an a smaller SGC-500 amplifier to work together. Got in a 2+ hour round robin last night on 17 meter, the Quadra was as cool at the end of 2 hours as it was at the beginning, the antenna tuner is very smooth an is great for touching up antennas when needed because of rain, checked the voltage at my QTH before buying it, no buck a boost transformer needed. Not much noise from the operation position from the Quadra when transmitting, The readout on the face on the Quadra has large letter easy to see for me, an sometimes 1000w does make a differance! I"M HAPPY
................KB6HRT