Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

K9SO Rating: 0/5 Jan 18, 2018 15:37 Send this review to a friend
Power supply failed again: third time  Time owned: more than 12 months
The inrush resistors in the power supply failed for the third time. They lasted a bit over 3 years this time but Yaesu denies that they have a problem. See my description of their design problem in the review below. I am running the amplifier via a step down transformer at only 217 volts. Yaesu engineers designed this thing for 220VAC which is the standard voltage in Japan, not the 240VAC used here. USA 240VAC will damage this amplifier. Their service techs have admitted that to me. Apparently 217VAC only slows the failure down though. The inrush resistors are severely overstressed if the power supply is accidentally plugged in when the power switch is ON. Or when you have a power failure like I did just now.
The resistors are buried deep inside the power supply and it requires major surgery to replace them. I will fix it and then sell it to one of you who think this power supply / amplifier is so good.

VA7OJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2017 23:49 Send this review to a friend
19 years old and still chugging along  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Quadra has now been in my station for 19 years, and is still operating flawlessly. The current exciter is an IC-7300, with an IC-7610 soon to follow. I use the simple "Band Data 2" interface.

I believe strongly that the Quadra is one of the best solid-state HF/6m amplifiers currently on the amateur market.

W9CAR Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2017 10:11 Send this review to a friend
ABSOLUTELY BULLET PROOF !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this amp along with my Yaesu FTDX-5000MP in February 2005. Since then, I have not had any problems with the amp or rig at all. I have been on the air for almost 60 years and this thing is really bulletproof !! Every once in a while it will stop me dead in my tracks by not responding to a command. I have learned how to understand what it is telling me when that happens ! It simply says check your settings you idiot! And every time it makes me laugh at myself because EVERY TIME I failed to set something right! This is the most perfect rig & amp I have ever owned bar NONE !!

WD9IDV Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2017 08:47 Send this review to a friend
16 Years and Still Working Perfectly!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well what can I say that I have not said before. Sixteen years since original purchase and still in use almost everyday. I run mine at 1100-1250 watts on occasions with no issues. Normally its run at the 1000 watts. SSTV at 1KW no issues.

I use a Tripp Lite Isobar 4-Outlet 200-240V surge protector, and I think this helps with longevity...hopefully.

Factor original cost and amortize in 16 plus years, and thats a pretty good deal.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2017 05:40 Send this review to a friend
GREAT AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have now had the Quadra now for 3 years and it is working fine with a buck boost. No problems here.

K6RMJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 08:03 Send this review to a friend
best solid state amp in existance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for 4 years. Not a bit of trouble. My own opinion there is a solid state amp that is as easy to set up as this one.Fully automatic. I just wish Yeasu would come out with a 2 KW solid state amp. I would buy it in a flash.
K6RMJ,

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2016 15:58 Send this review to a friend
Great but manual details lacking  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this amp. Have had it 10+ years and have it set for 1 KW output, although it will do 1200 watts. Not worth running it at 1.2KW output for a fraction of a dB gain. READ the manual completely!! Once set up for your shack, there will only be 1-2 buttons to push. Now, years ago I got extra published information from "gurus" on this amp and put notations in my manual's side columns on various pages. The understanding of the amp's workings is hard if you only read the basic manual. Subtleties exist. If you want to run a 2nd rig to the inputs and one is NOT a Yaesu then things are not easy unless you know the DIN connections and phono inputs etc.. I do run an Icom on RTTY about 8 feet away on 40 and 80m, but the transceiver input on the amp has to be changed from 1 to 2, etc. It is worth the expense to get this amp if you have a Yaesu transceiver. Seamless band switching. I NEVER use the internal tuner, as it is not designed for high SWR reactances, so I use my Nye Viking 3KW tuner. NEVER, NEVER use an amp's built in tuner in series with the input of an external tuner. That goes for all amps and external tuner setups. This amp and the power supply on the floor, once set up properly, have never had to be messed with. Read elsewhere about always turn on the ext supply FIRST, making sure AC is connected at ALL times before turning on the amp RF deck per se. NEVER turn on and off the AC mains to the PS with the amp PS in the "ON" position. And, turn on PS first ALWAYS, then the RF deck. Do not turn on the PS from your AC breaker with the PS in the "ON" position. Leave AC breaker ON and control amp system with the ON switch of the PS. See ... this can be complicated. Product Reviews are important to read!! Otherwise the manual is too brief and can be costly if you make a couple of avoidable mistakes. Good luck!

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2016 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Solid amp, flawless performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this amp used about one year ago, I have used it very heavily in several contests running at 1000W SSB for 24-48hrs without a rest. I have also used the amp in RTTY contests running it for almost 24 hours continuously at 500W with no issues at all. It is very solidly built and very easy to use, the screen is very well designed and displays the information in an easy to read manner.

I have one main negative on the amp to point out, the amp must be turned on fully for the antenna to pass through. So even if you want to run 100w barefoot you NEED to have the amp ON. To get around this I configured some antenna switches to be able to bypass the amp completely when barefoot so that I can leave the amp off when it is not required.

The built in antenna tuner will not work magic, it is meant to "touch up" your SWR. If you are planning to justify the purchase of this amp by getting rid of your high power turner don't! I use a Palstar HF-Auto tuner with this setup, they seem to work perfectly together.

All in all I am very pleased with this amplifier, it works perfectly with both my FDTX-3000 as well as my FT-991. I hear that it works very nicely with ICOM radios as well in case you worried about being "stuck" with a Yaesu radio ;)

N3CML Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2016 15:39 Send this review to a friend
Love my Yaesu VL-100  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Yaesu Vl-1000 amplifier for my Ham Radio shack. I noticed the specs required a 220v single phase line.
I thought 220/230/250 is all the same. I know when I had a 208 volt 3 phase motor to install if the motor was not rated for 208volts we used buck boost transformers.
I contacted many of the users here and they shared with me what they were using.
Today’s electronic equipment requires the voltage to be what the manufacturer wants. I had 250 vac. The new piece of equipment required 220 vac.
I was recommended a transformer by another manufacturer. The price was steep. I searched on the internet and I found Jefferson Buck/ Boost transformers. They met the specs I needed and they had a cross over sheet. Yes, a direct replacement for the one that was recommended.
The price was a lot lower, the same specs, free shipping and a 10 year Warranty.
Here is the link https://www.automationdirect.com/static/specs/buckboosttransformerspecs.pdf

Anyway, I am a happy camper.
Joe N3CML

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2016 05:11 Send this review to a friend
QUADRA QUESTIONS-EMAIL ME  Time owned: more than 12 months
The quadra amp is a good amp I have had it for 2 years now. I highly recommend it.