Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 09:41 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT AMPLIFIER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'VE BEEN USING THE YAESU QUADRA AMPLIFIER FOR ABOUT A MONTH NOW AND THERE HAVE BEEEN NO PROBLEMS. THE INCOMING VOLTAGE HAS FLUCTUATED BUT THE BUCK BOOST DID ITS JOB.

NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH THE AMPLIFIER. IT IS WORKING AS ITS ORIGINAL DESIGN INTENT.

K9SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Failed a second time, this time at 125 volts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If it failed for the second time, why would I rate it a FIVE? Because it's really a fine product. But here's what's going on:

Inrush current is limited by the notorious R2A/B/C string of resistors. Once the large value input capacitors are charged, the resistors are bypassed by relay X1. Inrush current is limited by the three 5.6 ohm resistors and the small resistance of the line filter inductors. Call it 20 ohms total. Inrush current is then 15.4 amperes peak with a 220 volt input. During this time the 5 watt R2 resistors are possibly subjected to over 1300 watts of dissipation (peak).
But this is only for a short time (probably no more than 8.3mS) so the resistors can handle that.
The problem is if you apply line voltage when the front panel switch is ON, there is a load on the input capacitors and they take much longer to charge. Relay X1 takes much longer to operate and the resistors are subjected to over-dissipation for a much longer period of time. The result is the obvious failures of one or more of the R2A/B/C resistors.
I have (had) a main breaker switch in the shack which I usually throw when I leave. I seldom turned off the power supply at the front panel switch. Even at 125 volts, it was just a matter of time.
Note that the front panel switch does not disconnect the AC mains. They are always connected unless the rear breaker is thrown. So the solution is simple: just keep the power supply connected to a hot AC main at all times. If you have to unplug it for any reason, make sure the load is not connected and that the front panel switch is OFF when you plug it back in.
It would have been nice if Yaesu had figured this out over the past 10 years of problems, but in the end I have to agree that this is an otherwise incredible product. I doubt that the autotransformers are necessary as long as the AC mains stay connected. They won't hurt, but they won't help with this problem (mine failed even at 125 volts). Note that this can still be an issue if you experience multiple power failures and are caught with the front panel switch in the ON position.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Love & Marriage !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The QUADRA & FTdx 5000d Are plug & play . I have
the latest version of the tuner (7) so i get 1000w
out both with the tuner in or out . I had to remove the cover to get 12 & 10 ,the build quality
is OUTSTANDING with genuine MICROWAVE ASC. MRF 150 s NO shortcuts here . I put in an INRAD 2.4K filter in my FTdx5000D & the results are a much sharper receiver (3.0K is just too wide fer me).
I went with Federal Pacific model SB12N.500F &
Wired it fer 240 volts in with 220 out just to be
on the safe side. The latest Tech Manual wants 200,220 & 232 volts fer the VP-1000 . Latest version is on the internet.

VA3TS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Quadra for 4 years, picked it up used from a ham in California. Had the resistor issue at the begining, replaced those and have had no issues since. I live in a rural area and power fluctuations, dropouts can happen anytime especially in winter. So I use a contactor relay to drop out the power to the amp if there is any dropout of the utility power. This one is a 220v relay with a pushbutton. Press the button to pick up the relay and seal it in.(just like a stop/start station) If the power drops out, then the relay drops out too and keeps the poser off till I reset it. You can add surge devices also if you like. I have a similar thing for 120vac to protect the FT5000. The whole shack , used as a complete system is hard to beat, along with the DX-view software and any who come by are impressed with the level of automation. Others my not like that, but I do, this is a winner.

WK9U Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
An incredible design with ample features !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this Quadra System for nearly a year and don't regret nor feel any remorse for selling my Alpha 9500. The Yaesu has a great number of internal memories that make instantaneous band switching, amplifier tuning, and antenna tuning possible.
If you have up to four antennas with SWR readings of less than 3.0 within your usable allocations, the amp will be a dream come true. I have this amplifier mated to the two input selections for both my Yaesu rigs and between the automatic bandswitching i can't think of anything faster, more efficient, and having less clutter in the shack for a true KW amplifier that covers 160 through 10 meters including the 12 + 15m warc bands as well as a KW at 6meters.
I've had no issues whatsoever. Plug and play. It's that easy.

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Good enough for ARRL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used it a couple times in Connecticut and loved it. I am now looking to buy my own to complement my 5000mp. I am glad for all the reviews here to help me make my decision but have to admit I have no clue what VK3ZAZ was trying to say. Maybe edit and try again? Just saying...

Robert

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2013 19:15 Send this review to a friend
5+ Years of Trouble Free Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an update to my previous review. The Yaesu Quadra in my station continues to serve me well after 5+ years of use. I have been completely satisfied with its trouble free operation.

I continue to use the amplifier weekly with a FT-1000mp Mark-V. I really enjoy using that combination and its operation is seamless. Once turned on, the amplifier does not require any further attention from the operator.

The amp is well protected if you have everything set up and calibrated correctly, especially the ALC. I never worry about the amplifier being damaged, because it will fault out if something goes awry. That allows you to concentrate on hamming and less about the status of your equipment.

If you have a Yaesu HF rig, and you want to add an amplifier to your station, the Quadra is the logical choice.

N1EJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2013 11:17 Send this review to a friend
The best I've owned  Time owned: more than 12 months
I,ve had my Quadra for 17 months, bought new HRO. This is a sweetheart. Turn it on and go. No warm up. It delivers considerly more power than rated for.The builin tuner works perfect,band switches as soon as you hit the key, if connected to a Yaesu transceiver. I also use mine with an Icom 7600 it takes a couple more steps to get it going. No Issues!!!!

VA7OJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2013 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Still flawless after 14+ years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
14+ years in my station and still chugging along! I now have the Quadra connected to two exciters, IC-7700 and IC-7600, with a switchbox to switch the Band Data 2 cable to either exciter as needed.

VE7ON Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2012 12:09 Send this review to a friend
Best amp so far!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Quadra for about a year and a half now and bought it new from Radio World. There has been no problems whatever so far. I have owned many amps throughout my 40+ years as a ham but this is the best. I worried at first that it did not put out the full 1500 but that has not been a problem. I have cracked many pile-ups and have had lots of "big signal" reports. I also have a Henry amp that produces more power but I almost never use it. The Quadra matches my FT9000 and they follow each other perfectly. No band switching and no tuning up, and best of all NO 3 minute warm up. It is definitely all solid state from now on for me.

Gordon, ve7on