Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/vl1000.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2012 18:57 Send this review to a friend
I'M HAPPY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had the new VL-1000 since Saturday, Had a ICOM PW1 for five years, it served me well. Took me 3 days to rearrange my station to make everything fit, they are 2 BIG units to fit in a small radio area I have. The Quadra works as it should (GREAT) had to design new switching circuits so I could use 3HF radios an feed 5 antennas an a smaller SGC-500 amplifier to work together. Got in a 2+ hour round robin last night on 17 meter, the Quadra was as cool at the end of 2 hours as it was at the beginning, the antenna tuner is very smooth an is great for touching up antennas when needed because of rain, checked the voltage at my QTH before buying it, no buck a boost transformer needed. Not much noise from the operation position from the Quadra when transmitting, The readout on the face on the Quadra has large letter easy to see for me, an sometimes 1000w does make a differance! I"M HAPPY
................KB6HRT

VK3ZAZ Rating: 2/5 Mar 31, 2012 21:17 Send this review to a friend
6 months on  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Weak signal working with a QUADRA is not its strong point on 6M band.
1st problem you need to leave power supply switched on the activate INPUT 1 to OUTPUT 1.
reason?
Someone said whetting the relays to keep them clean.
remedy ONE.
Mount two back to back DOWKEY relays power them up from the 48Volt rail using 2 x24 or 2x48v coils, then when power is on relays switch to the VL1000 allowing it to be used.
Sw power supply off and weak signals to 6M better offf less attenuation.
REMEDY 2. Screw the dowkeys and get into the VL1000 to find source of all the crap an noise.
FIX: remove fans and mount them outside the box.
QED really.
Also when lid is off remove all connecting plugs and twist all the wiring as much as it will go and still reach the plugs.
Do the same with the POWER wiring carry 48VDC.
Slide torroids all way up to power sockets and re tie off.
re route all sloppy wiring and twist and tie it.
With fans outside, and dual metal guards the 6M rx is quiet now no tickity tickety fan brush noise. I was going to get 48VDC fans but didnt, I still might.
I also took out the small fan in the tuner as its noisy and it made no differenc to heating.
NB FANS SUCK out not push in, cold air is drawn in through all the grooves and exhausts from back so the small 2 inch pusher fan int eh tuner is really useless and noisy.
The only other isuse is the horrid power sockets which push in too easily. need glue stick or silsatic in place to stop them clicking into case when leds are fitted.
Apart from above radio and V1000 flawless and now VK has 1KW trial the quadra is coming into its own.

KE6BQW Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2012 08:21 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Amp.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this VL-1000 Quadra to run with my FT-950. Since its a Yaesu transceiver(exciter) so this amplifier is a plug and play with it. Works GREAT with it.

LIKES:

-NO tuning, warm ups, grid/plate to worry about. Follows Yaesu exciters everywhere. Will do on other brands too with little more programming /and comes with a cable ready for mod for other rigs.

-Superior protection againts hi SWR antennas and other internal mulfunctions. Does a self check of all its modules at start up.

-Setable Hi and Low output power.

-SWR Graph display is great! Shows both swr before and after the Tuner is in line.
Additionaly it has 4 other selectable displays.

DONT LIKES:

-Fans too noisy for the unit to be with the rest of my equipment in front of me. Positioned it under the desk to minimize noise. Im sure this noise level is the best compromise the engineers have settled for in efficiently cooling this $4k investment protected even in 24hr contest use.

-No thru antenna if powered off. So when you're tired on listening to the fans, you cant just turn it off and still operate. You have to move coax around to take it off line. Im sure they did this to protect this $4K investment from damage being in line.

-------
I do not have any problems with the mentioned hi 220V. My house voltage averages from 236VAC to 243VAC.

Im speculating that one of the major causes of other members units' transient resistors blowing is forgeting to make sure that the main power button is off before plugging the VP-1000, and that rush of power is probably too much for them.

N4GDX

AJ4RW Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2011 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Great companion for the FT-2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp continues to be a great performer. The reason I'm writing this review is to help everyone who wants to know what buck boost transformer I'm using and have been using for the past year without any problems. This is the buck boost transformer I purchased: SB12N.500N. Itís made by Federal Pacific. Itís the saving grace to the quadra for me. My incoming line voltage is 250 VAC + and the power company wonít do anything about it. Yaesu says that the voltage shouldnít exceed 240 VAC or you chance blowing some protection resistors in the power supply. Here's the website for my buck boost transformer:

Hope this helps Randy AJ4RW

N7KJ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2011 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've never had a problem with any of the Quadras I have owned in the past, and I never had a problem with the one I currently have. I just got a little worried about the power supply failures reported in this forum. All failures were apparently caused by high line voltage, usually higher than 240V. My line voltage is 248V to 250V, so I could possibly fall in the same category in the future.
I decided to order a few of the buffer resistor for the power supply from Yaesu (just in case..), and to help preventing any possible future damage to the power supply I also bought a "Buck" Transformer. I installed the "Buck" Transformer in front of the outlet feeding the Quadra. The voltage going to the amplifier is now between 220V and 225V, depending on the input voltage.

The Quadra has been reported in some reviews as having a slight occasional "ringing" at times when the amp is used at full power. I had noticed this too from time to time. After I had installed the "Buck" Transformer, the "ringing" has disappeared. I had not noticed this earlier, since this slight "ringing" is heard only sporadically and only after some time of use at full power. I did use the Quadra for several hours at full power last weekend, and the "ringing" is completely gone. I account this to the correct lower line voltage the amp is now used on.

I paid $189 for the transformer including shipping. Any repair performed by Yaesu on the VP-1000 will my much more expensive, and the shipping charge to get the unit to Yaesu and back home is not cheap either (let alone the risks involved shipping the unit).
The transformer was quick and easily installed, and I sleep much better now. I can only recommend to any Quadra owner to do the same. 73, Scott N7KJ

K2CAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2011 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As Scott N7KJ mentioned in his review, I too added a Buck transformer on the AC line. The amp has provided excellent signal and audio reports from most every station I have had a QSO with when running it. I don't find the fan noise objectionable at all. Mine is very quiet. I have two 10 inch table top fans running in the room and the amp/power supply fans are much quieter than those. Even with the room fans off, I can hardly hear the amp/power supply ones.
It been a great help on 6m, especially when band conditions are poor. Although it is pricey, I highly recommend it as a great amp for 160-6m. It's almost plug and play when used with my FT-2000.

73, Mark K2CAN

N8NN Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2010 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Quadra Repair  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my Quadra for nine years, and I like it very much. It works as advertized. QSK is good up to about 40 WPM with a modern transceiver that has a QSK delay adjustment. I use QSK all the time. The antenna tuner is good for SWR up to 2:1. I use all coax fed and matched antennas, so the antenna tuner is not a problem for me. I estimate I have several thousand hours of operating time on the amp.

It has failed three times, all for the same reason. Resistors R2A, R2B or R2C fail in the power supply due to the surge when turning the amp on. The symptom is "everything dead". An external surge protector will not prevent this failure.

The first two failures were repaired by Yaesu. Shipping is expensive. I repaired the amp myself after the third failure. It takes about 4 hours to replace the resistors. The most difficult part is figuring out how to disassemble the power supply to reach the circuit board.

I will email you the step-by-step instructions if you want to make this repair yourself. The resistors are 5.6 ohm 5 W ceramic, Yaesu part number J31379004. My email is N8NN@arrl.net.

Yes, I would recommend this amp even with the failures.

W4PIG Rating: 1/5 May 27, 2010 17:29 Send this review to a friend
POOR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
traded for a quadra amp used it one night put my alpha back in line. the quadra power supply has to be on before you can receive or transmit thru it. the fans sound like a heard of horses when you key it up. the disply is awuful at a angle hard to see. it puts out good power but it is far from being a $4000.00 amp.

G3XPO Rating: 3/5 May 21, 2010 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Less disppointed - for now  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the amp fixed by Yaesu.
To Yaesu's credit they collected the amp and fixed it FOC and it was back within one week - I am very grateful for such fine service from Yaesu.
This was arranged by Martin Lynch - who always provides incomparable service.
The fault with my amp was again a limiting resistor which had blown. There are three of these resistors that limit the surge into the bank of large capacitors each time the PSU is switched on using the circuit breaker on the back.
My amp had three resistors although some amps only have two, with a wire link. I assume these are even more prone to blowing.
EU with thei 230V or less, do not have this problem, nor apparently does the US with their 220V.
However the UK can have mains voltage up to 250V and some UK Quadras I believe do blow their limiting resistors.
So let's see how long it lasts this time.
These limiting resistors appear to be the Quadra's Achilles heel in the UK at least. This is such a shame because in my case it takes the edge off what is otherwise an outstanding amplifier.

K8PVD Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2010 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Quadra after one year  Time owned: more than 12 months
Built like a tank. Weights a ton. Works very well with any modern Yaesu transceiver; more challenging with older transceivers or other brands. Matches with FT-1000MP or FT-2000 exceptionally well. Sometimes tricky using input 2 (except with FT-950 which is designed to use input 2 - more on that later). Runs more than 1000 watts easily 160 - 6 meters. Yes, mine puts out 1000 watts in 6. Like everybody says, the antenna tuner really only works with tuned antennas.. and it is a little twitchy.

Negatives: Power supply must be turned on to get direct antenna pass-through to transceiver on input 1 (even the cheapest amps {whose name starts with an "A"} pass through with the power off. If you use input 2, both the power supply and the amp must be turned on to get direct antenna pass through. That means if you are running an FT-950, a good rig at the price, and use the Yaesu Quadra to FT-950 factory cable, the Quadra power supply and RF deck must always be turned on (or else unscrew coax connectors and by pass the Quadra, etc.) Antenna tuner - not a broad band tuner and you really need to learn to use it effectively... Comes from the factory with 12/10 disabled; you need to pull the covers and short two pins to turn on the "international" version - you'd think given the recent FCC changes, it would have been previously done at the factory. Manual really is not complete enough. You really learn about the Quadra by experimentation and reading reviews in QST, Adam's website ( http://www.ab4oj.com/quadra/main.html ) and here! And like I said, it's heavy. Move the power supply and RF deck once a day and you won't need a gym membership.

Positives: So automatic you quickly get spoiled. Follows right along when you change bands; but defaults to whatever settings were in place when last on that band. It has more ways of remembering things than I do. Well built, very solid - sort of a throw-back to the boat anchor days. You hear the fans when you key the mike, but not objectionable. If it is, move it! It is so automatic you don't need it in front of you. Over 1,000 watts on all bands even 6. Protects itself very well.

Also, for my recent out of warranty Quadra component failure (positive) experience, see:

Quadra hit the market just before the revolution in software upgradable radios began. Obviously was designed as a companion for the FT-1000MP. Now, while it really works very well, it seems like it could use a make-over. If you can live with that, have modern Yaesu equipment, and see one for sale, snatch it up! You won't be sorry.

Got mine from AES in Las Vegas from Julio KP4UZ. I found that to be a very good experience. He is as good as his word! Usually a coupon sale in December or right around Dayton makes the wait worthwhile.