Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu Quadra VL-1000
Yaesu Quadra VL-1000 Reviews: 81 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $4000
Description: Solid-state, automated 1 kW HF/6m linear amplifier

You can write your own review of the Yaesu Quadra VL-1000.

WD5JOY Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2015 08:56 Send this review to a friend
SUPERB VALUE - OPERATIONAL EXCELLENCE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi Guys! I purchased mine USED from a ham in Colorado who quite honestly "needed quick cash" and offered a deal I could not decline! Less than 50% of the "new price"! He had it gone through about eight months back and had all the applicable paperwork to back up his claim. It TRULY was a "once in a lifetime" find!

It took ME a while to become comfortable with the operation and not worry at every turn; the amp is amazing! I learned one step at a time, did not rush, asked questions on the web and in a month I or so I was an "OLD pro"! I have NOT looked back!

Running 550 and 1100 watts (+/- 5%) and this jewel runs COOL and runs PERFECTLY! I could not ask for more!

I AM AMAZED when I see "1-STAR" ratings and one line reasons "why"
the review was so poor. One caught my eye and I cannot help but wonder if the guy purposely goes off in search of "bad equipment"? No way THIS EXAMPLE is TRUE! NO WAY! The guy is fibbing and likely does NOT even have ONE piece of Yaesu equipment unless it is an AM-FM receiver that plays music to calm his soul!

BUNK FROM --------> KG6JYK

Rating: 0/5 ..... April 21, 2003 01:07

Time owned: 0 to 3 months

"Arrived DOA Power supply producing high voltage. So far I have send 6 out of 8 Yaesu products back. All of them failed on arrival."

SORRY "KG6JYK" - but YOU "sir" are blowing smoke! No way so many were 'DOA' unless you deliberately hacked them up! NO WAY! WHY do you have the need to LIE? Did "mamma" beat you when she discovered you lacked the ability to wipe your own "behind"?

Perhaps it because "da' wife" insists SHE make the decisions because YOU make such POOR CHOICES and supposedly but 'DOA' equipment time and time again??

Old Man Donnie

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2015 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Really nice amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one new at HRO 2 weeks ago and really am happy with it. I installed a 240v line and it puts out 1000-1150 watts easily on all bands. Follows my 5000mp on every band and never seems to get even a little warm- in the least.

Definitely doing the happy dance here!

WD9IDV Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2015 10:55 Send this review to a friend
14 years and still going!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still pleased with Yaesu Quadra amplifier after almost 14 years of ownership. I have not had any issues in the last 14 years since my initial problem with one of the MOSFET MRF 150’s transistors going bad when it was first purchased new.

My only concern is with the LCD display. I wish it was brighter and had better contrast. My Yaesu FT-920 transceiver's display has nice contrast and brightness. The Quadra is definitely less bright and has less contrast compared to the Yaesu FT-920. One would think that Yaesu would have designed the Quadra display to match the FT-920’s display characteristics.

For reference, I have copied my previously published older review and included it below.

“Still going strong with no problems after seven years of operation. I use it almost everyday at 1100 - 1250 watts output. When I operated RTTY and SSTV I always ran it at a kilowatt. When brand new I did have a bad MRF-150 transistor, but Yaesu did replace it and has never shown any problems since being repaired seven years ago.

I run two radios into the amplifier. The first being my "workhorse" the Yaesu FT-920. The second radio is a Kenwood TS-570DG. I use an Ameritron ALB-702 amplifier buffer interface with the Kenwood radio. I have no problems using two radios with the Quadra. Works great and as expected if you read your manual.

Closing Comments:
I love this amplifier. It is very well built. The insides are a work of art. Solid Japanese electronic build quality. The control cables that were included could have been better though.
As to the price, I think it is reasonable. For the level of sophistication, quality, and technical expertise built into this amplifier, it will be money well spent over the course of its life.”

Robert WD9IDV
KG5ABW Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2014 09:41 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT AMPLIFIER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

K9SO Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Failed a second time, this time at 125 volts  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If it failed for the second time, why would I rate it a FIVE? Because it's really a fine product. But here's what's going on:

Inrush current is limited by the notorious R2A/B/C string of resistors. Once the large value input capacitors are charged, the resistors are bypassed by relay X1. Inrush current is limited by the three 5.6 ohm resistors and the small resistance of the line filter inductors. Call it 20 ohms total. Inrush current is then 15.4 amperes peak with a 220 volt input. During this time the 5 watt R2 resistors are possibly subjected to over 1300 watts of dissipation (peak).
But this is only for a short time (probably no more than 8.3mS) so the resistors can handle that.
The problem is if you apply line voltage when the front panel switch is ON, there is a load on the input capacitors and they take much longer to charge. Relay X1 takes much longer to operate and the resistors are subjected to over-dissipation for a much longer period of time. The result is the obvious failures of one or more of the R2A/B/C resistors.
I have (had) a main breaker switch in the shack which I usually throw when I leave. I seldom turned off the power supply at the front panel switch. Even at 125 volts, it was just a matter of time.
Note that the front panel switch does not disconnect the AC mains. They are always connected unless the rear breaker is thrown. So the solution is simple: just keep the power supply connected to a hot AC main at all times. If you have to unplug it for any reason, make sure the load is not connected and that the front panel switch is OFF when you plug it back in.
It would have been nice if Yaesu had figured this out over the past 10 years of problems, but in the end I have to agree that this is an otherwise incredible product. I doubt that the autotransformers are necessary as long as the AC mains stay connected. They won't hurt, but they won't help with this problem (mine failed even at 125 volts). Note that this can still be an issue if you experience multiple power failures and are caught with the front panel switch in the ON position.

KC1MR Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2014 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Love & Marriage !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The QUADRA & FTdx 5000d Are plug & play . I have
the latest version of the tuner (7) so i get 1000w
out both with the tuner in or out . I had to remove the cover to get 12 & 10 ,the build quality
is OUTSTANDING with genuine MICROWAVE ASC. MRF 150 s NO shortcuts here . I put in an INRAD 2.4K filter in my FTdx5000D & the results are a much sharper receiver (3.0K is just too wide fer me).
I went with Federal Pacific model SB12N.500F &
Wired it fer 240 volts in with 220 out just to be
on the safe side. The latest Tech Manual wants 200,220 & 232 volts fer the VP-1000 . Latest version is on the internet.
VA3TS Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 08:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my Quadra for 4 years, picked it up used from a ham in California. Had the resistor issue at the begining, replaced those and have had no issues since. I live in a rural area and power fluctuations, dropouts can happen anytime especially in winter. So I use a contactor relay to drop out the power to the amp if there is any dropout of the utility power. This one is a 220v relay with a pushbutton. Press the button to pick up the relay and seal it in.(just like a stop/start station) If the power drops out, then the relay drops out too and keeps the poser off till I reset it. You can add surge devices also if you like. I have a similar thing for 120vac to protect the FT5000. The whole shack , used as a complete system is hard to beat, along with the DX-view software and any who come by are impressed with the level of automation. Others my not like that, but I do, this is a winner.
WK9U Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2014 16:19 Send this review to a friend
An incredible design with ample features !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this Quadra System for nearly a year and don't regret nor feel any remorse for selling my Alpha 9500. The Yaesu has a great number of internal memories that make instantaneous band switching, amplifier tuning, and antenna tuning possible.
If you have up to four antennas with SWR readings of less than 3.0 within your usable allocations, the amp will be a dream come true. I have this amplifier mated to the two input selections for both my Yaesu rigs and between the automatic bandswitching i can't think of anything faster, more efficient, and having less clutter in the shack for a true KW amplifier that covers 160 through 10 meters including the 12 + 15m warc bands as well as a KW at 6meters.
I've had no issues whatsoever. Plug and play. It's that easy.
N1JAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2014 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Good enough for ARRL  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used it a couple times in Connecticut and loved it. I am now looking to buy my own to complement my 5000mp. I am glad for all the reviews here to help me make my decision but have to admit I have no clue what VK3ZAZ was trying to say. Maybe edit and try again? Just saying...

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2013 19:15 Send this review to a friend
5+ Years of Trouble Free Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
As an update to my previous review. The Yaesu Quadra in my station continues to serve me well after 5+ years of use. I have been completely satisfied with its trouble free operation.

I continue to use the amplifier weekly with a FT-1000mp Mark-V. I really enjoy using that combination and its operation is seamless. Once turned on, the amplifier does not require any further attention from the operator.

The amp is well protected if you have everything set up and calibrated correctly, especially the ALC. I never worry about the amplifier being damaged, because it will fault out if something goes awry. That allows you to concentrate on hamming and less about the status of your equipment.

If you have a Yaesu HF rig, and you want to add an amplifier to your station, the Quadra is the logical choice.