Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | Field Day Logger by N2TDK Help

Reviews Summary for Field Day Logger by N2TDK
Field Day Logger by N2TDK Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: A multi-user Field Day logger designed for Windows.
More info: http://www.tdknet.com

You can write your own review of the Field Day Logger by N2TDK.

N3GWZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2001 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Sweet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I downloaded Kelly's FD logger about 3 days before field day and it was easy to set up. Kelly has been great to communicate with via email. I let him know of the few problems I had with v1.4.1, also mentioned in KA3UEH's review, and he said that he will be working on it for next year. However, these bugs didn't cause ANY problems for me during field day. For multiple computer logging/dupe checking, it is the cat's meow!

It's great to be able to network laptops together and have all contacts log to a central MS Access database. Once you are done, Kelly's program will export your data to a PDF document that is sufficient for submission to ARRL. I learned that a DUPE SHEET is not mandatory for submission.

I set up the Master computer on a Sony 700MHz Laptop running WinME, the fastest notebook computer I had. You can log directly on that PC. Then, I set the Client computer up on a Toshiba 266MHz Laptop running Win2k. The client machine runs the field day logger from the Master computer (via a shared resource), and logs to the master. Works like a charm. Kelly mentioned that he wants to have locally installed programs next year with a central database to increase speed. I didn't have any problems, tho.

I plan on using this next year and will definately provide feedback!

73's
Pat N3GWZ

KA3UEH Rating: 4/5 Jun 26, 2001 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great FD logger!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A friend and myself were hunting around for a good (and free) FD logger a week before FD 2001. We wanted something that was easy to use and if it was designed for Windows, all the better. After looking over a lot of the software that's already out there, we performed a search on www.Google.com and came across N2TDK's web site (http://www.tdknet.com/FDLogger/fdlog.asp). There we found exactly what we were looking for.

N2TDK's Field Day Logger for Windows allows multiple users to log into the same program via a network and even allows them to add contacts at the same time. Everything is practically point and click and it has a very simple, yet informative, display.

It does provide dupe checking and it also prints out the entire contact log.

Downsides...
Since this is a homemade program, it has its share of bugs, but it's creator, Kelly Walczak, is always more than eager to hear from other users on its plusses and minuses.

The program still has problems with updating the display at the specified refresh rate and we also discovered that if two people enter contacts at the same time, it will sometimes mix the info between the two entries.

The built in chat program has a nasty habit of its button blinking once it is hit and there is no way to turn it off.

Finally, printing dupe sheets is not an option at this time.

The good news is that most or all of these problems should be fixed once version 1.5(?) comes out. So, head on over to Kelly's site and give the program a try. Just make sure the database file in the "Data" folder is not read-only before you run the program for the first time.

73's