Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Radio Shack PRO-91 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack PRO-91
Radio Shack PRO-91 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $170.00
Description: 150 Channel Trunking scanner...VHF Hi-lo,Air, UHF

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack PRO-91.

W2WRX Rating: 5/5 Jun 5, 2010 21:17 Send this review to a friend
Good Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Programming the radio is a no brainer with no problems setting any frequencies that you can add to it.Antenna on radio ok,but I use a super scanner antenna for this with great results from 100 miles or better.Trunking frequencies on scanning was really good for those bands in the 800 mhz.I used this as well for receiving satellites frequencies on the down path with great results to,what I did was just use the last bank on the system and added all my receive frequencies with 5 khz in increments + and - with an arrow hand held dual band antenna beam.Uses either alkalines and nicads or NMH's,added a wall wart for AC from R.S.and make sure to check the polaritys on this radio's or else frying the system down.

KG4RND Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2005 12:47 Send this review to a friend
Great little scanner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not sure I understand some of the other reviews about this scanner being difficult to program. It's cake to program. I can't vouch for the trunking part of the scanner, but mine does an excellent job of receiving. (There aren't any trunking systems in my area). I can easily listen to police departments 30 miles away on the stock rubber duck. Scan rate seems good and while not as durable as some of the uniden scanners I've owned it's definately not a cheap piece of junk. Overall I'm very happy with it. Now I can't wait to get the Diamond RH77CA antenna for it.........

N1UMJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2004 14:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this scanner for a while now probably 5 years or more. It's very easy to program just like all the radio shack scanners, not much difference if any The sound isn't too bad, the antenna is a typical stock rubber duck, you're not going to do any better unless you have all UHF stuff in there and use an antenna more meant for UHF but honestly I'm perfectly happy with the one that came with it. I don't get the battery life with the rechargeable batteries that I get with other uniden scanners but that could just be the batteries I still get 8 or so hours out of it. I've used it on vacations, around the house, at races since I'm a huge race fan, and I've also used others and I can't think of a better scanner I've used.

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2003 18:33 Send this review to a friend
excellent recieve  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was so impressed with this scanner i bought a second for the clearance price of 70.00.the reciever is very sensitive and scans fast.once you understand the programing you will love it.

KL7PB Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2003 00:38 Send this review to a friend
excellent scanner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am dismayed at the comments on this scanner. I have had mine for about 3 years and still haven't looked at the manual. I Don't understand the programming problem. I just picked up my first Bearcat scanner in 15 years and never looked at that manual either. What that all boils down to has to be lack of experience. But I have been known to have 4 scanners running at once. At least in the case of Air Force One coming to town with the President. As for the duckie antennas. Borrow an MFJ Impedance meter and you will find that they are all junk. My after market cost $30 and there seems to be no way around that. Try that on your 2 mtr HT also for an eye opener. I have not seen a really poor scanner in many years. "Give me a Break"

WD9DUI Rating: 4/5 Sep 7, 2002 22:07 Send this review to a friend
ok scanner  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had mine for about 3-4 months, it is not a bad radio. I am using it to replace an older PRO-35. The internal speaker is poor, the plastic glass over the display gets easily scratched.
The case is not built to take a good drop, looks like it would crack easily. I paid $60.00 at a swap meet for mine, I would not pay full price for this one.

KSA464 Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2002 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Good product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Even though it's hard to get the hang of programming it, and since I'm used to an old Uniden BC60XLT-1 and the progamming with it, this one came across as being a bit time consuming. Overall I think it is a good scanner, it picks up aircraft band AM just wonderfully at all times of the day, with the rubber duck antenna and it does a fine job of picking up VHF Hi with the rubber duck as well. UHF it does a terrific job, I am able to pick up both mobiles and base stations >45 miles away from here with the rubber duck. Having the multiple banks makes it easy to break my public safety freqs up into police, fire, and medical, and aircraft channels. Overall it is a good scanner, and I would recommend it to anyone.

KC0KTX Rating: 4/5 Aug 31, 2001 14:01 Send this review to a friend
Good little scanner!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first impression of this scanner 2 years ago was what a high tech device!!! After you figure out how to use this scanner, it's very straight-forward and easy to use. In fact, I understand this scanner so well, that I went out and bought the PRO-91's mobile counterpart, the PRO-2066. I do not use it for Trunking, becuase the only trunked systems in my area are all in the south metro and I have no desire to listen to them. This is a good, low tech scanner, that is easy to use.

Suggestions: 1. The rubber duck antenna is a joke! Get an antenna specific to the frequencies you will monitor, the duck doesn't work well. 2. Get an external speaker. The one in the radio has very poor audio, and is very quiet, yet distorted when you turn up the volume. 4. Don't plan on modifying it for cellular or others, it can't be done! 4. Buy it on sale! It's not worth the regular price tag, there are bettter scanners for that price.

All in all: THis is a good scanner once you figure out how to use it!

KD5NWX Rating: 2/5 Jun 27, 2001 02:29 Send this review to a friend
Mixed feelings about the PRO-91  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As you might have already read, I have mixed feelings about this scanner. Probably the most frusturating thing I found with this scanner was how poorly the instruction manual is writen. Its highly unlikely that you'll find it as easy to operate compared to such products by Yaesu, or kenwood, etc...which will lead you to hunting in the instruction manual. Somehow, the directions for some of the key features were completly missing from the instruction booklet...with the pages skipping from 28-35. I was on the verge of returning it but somehow managed to get everything programmed right. Once I did figure out how to use it,I found some good features such as an ultra fast scanning mode, divided into 5 banks which you can choose to scan or leave out. As for the trunking part, I have not successfully been able to get it to work. I thkink the problem is that the trunking system used for my county is different from what the scanner is designed for (possible a type II trunk system). The audio is tinny but functional..I think i was suckered in because they had it on clearance. Anyhow,,,save your money for a scanner by Yaesu...or maybe im just expecting to much from something made by Radio Shack. Hope this helps someone!