Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Bose Quiet Comfort Headset Help

Reviews Summary for Bose Quiet Comfort Headset
Bose Quiet Comfort Headset Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$300.00
Description: Noise cancelling headset
More info: http://www.bose.com

You can write your own review of the Bose Quiet Comfort Headset.

K6RIM Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2010 14:38 Send this review to a friend
Worth the Price!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The name - Quiet Comfort - says it all. Quiet: these headphones filter out virtually all sounds in your shack, whether from your computer fan(s), amp fan(s), screaming kids - everything! Comfort: even in a 24-hour contest, they remain comfortable. Much more comfortable than my Heil Pro Set Plus, which is fairly decent in the comfort department. I am a DXer/Contester, and at times run as much power as 1,500 watts. I've experienced absolutely no RFI issue in the Bose headphones when running high power. Audio quality? Equal to or better than the Heil on both CW and SSB. Highly recommended!

NV2A Rating: 5/5 Dec 13, 2009 17:23 Send this review to a friend
only fantastic!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Bose QC-15's at $300.00 for air travel. After 8 hours on a jet I get off feeling refreshed. I watched several movies and damn near forgot I was on a plane! They also worked quite well on the lawn tractor but the best on the jet. When I turned them on I heard next to nothing except what I fed them from the DVD player on my notebook computer. I expect to use them on field day, light house weekend and other noisey invironments.

K3GM Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2005 12:13 Send this review to a friend
Work great, but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I took a pair of these home from work to try them out during the recent ARRL DX Phone contest. Notice I said "took them home from work". Yup, I work for Bose. While they do a fantastic job in the shack of cancelling out fan noise, or the oil burner running across the basement from my operating position, they're a full range audio headset. I ran across some hetrodynes that either pierced my eardrum with frequencies at the high end of my range, or lows frequencies that rumbled my fillings. The lows were really annoying when you were trying to operate close to an adjacent frequency with a big signal. I'd like to try a pair of the Bose aviation headsets with the intergral mike and am going to try and requesition one for the weekend sometime. They are designed for communication and have a limited audio range. They're also around a grand so I doubt you'll see them being used in great numbers in the shack. So while the Quiet Comforts work amazingly well, their full frequency range might be too good for shack use.

KC5YIL Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2004 12:44 Send this review to a friend
Love them  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Otiginally bought the Sony NC-11 (as posted there) and they did not work at all and produced a hum. The Bose QuietComfort II's are great. Really knock out background noise and are comfortable. I have only tried them in airplanes and around the house, no Ham work yet (I curently live in China, can't ham at home). I'll be moving back in August, so I can report more on Ham shack use then.

Unfortuantely no boom mike available. The only Bose I know with boom mikes are the pilot rated units at almost $1000 USD!.

KA3POY Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2002 11:22 Send this review to a friend
update - works great with 1000d  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having posted the previous note about problems getting the Bose to work perfectly with my Yaesu FT 1000 MP Mk V, it's only fair to follow up that they work perfectly,just like they're supposed to, with a Yaesu FT 1000D. On cw you can use the Bose's control box "hi" audio setting - then modulate the intensity of the sent cw through the rig's monitor knob. On ssb there is no feedback howl.

Importantly, the Bose are very comfortable and adjust nicely to narrow head sizes and feel lightweight. I would purchase these again, now, even at the relatively high retail price.

N5IIT
was KA3POY

KA3POY Rating: 3/5 Jul 10, 2002 09:21 Send this review to a friend
tricky  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a set of the Bose quiet comfort n/c headsets for use contesting with a 200w FT 1000 Mk V Yaesu. My specific goal was to insulate myself from the ungodly howl/hum of my HP pavillion personal computer, which runs DX4WIN while I operate for real time logging.

The good news: the Bose has an almost magical ability to zero out or make insignificant: pc fan noise, pc hard drive noise, pc cd/rom drive noise, and tscvr fan noise. Squalling children and other common household background noise also fade into the way background.

The not good news: 1) on cw the Bose is very sensitive to hf in the shack - if your ladder line fed zepp, or even coax fed ocfd is putting even a little rf in the shack the Bose will pick it up at different levels depending upon the band as a thump in the headphones on transmit. This can be somewhat alleviated by running the Bose on the Lo setting rather than the high setting, but it's not an optimal situation. Torroids on the headphone cord are not a solution. RF chokes on the coax are not a complete solution either.
2) If you have a FT1000MP MK V, and you attempt to use the Bose on SSB while the rig's "monitor" button is activated, you will create a wild feedback howl. This can be partially addressed by not using the Moni feature, but its a pain in the neck to pay top dollar for bells and whistles that you then can't use.

Soooooooo, be warned.

If I come up with better solutions I will post a follow up email. So far the best fix so far was to trade the kids the new HP pavillion for their old Pentium 1 pc, which is much much much quieter, thereby partially obviating the need for n/r phones. If anyone out there has any suggested fixes, or can more wholeheartedly recommend another type of n/r phones, please contact me at ka3poy@arrl.net. Tks,

Tim
N5IIT

N4LJS Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2001 20:21 Send this review to a friend
HIghly recommended  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I originally bought these to be able to listen to DVDs on my lap top computer while flying. I always use them while flying just to quiet the airplane noise. I found out they are are also great in the ham shack. They cancel out a lot of back ground noise. They worked great at Field Day; almost like a back ground noise DSP. They took care of the generator and fan noises; the only thing I heard was the signal coming from the radio. The only negative thing is that they are pricy.