Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-G71A Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TH-G71A
Kenwood TH-G71A Reviews: 123 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $Currently $249.50 most places
Description: Just hold the TH-G71A in your hand and it's immediately clear h
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open&ama_hheld=op

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-G71A.

KD5UGS Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2006 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood's finest HT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently purchased a THG71A from AES & it impressed me at first glance.A great rig & good radio to have.
The only negative thing I found out about the HT is the Nicad battery & the short life of the pack.
I plan on buying a BT11 AA case & based on a friend's opinion since he owns a THG71A,the AA battery case works better than the NiCad pack.
Great radio overall!!!

KC8YWO Rating: 4/5 Dec 10, 2005 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Great entry level transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was the first radio I purchased after I received my Technician license. It is very simple to understand. There are no complex menus or extra features that you would never end up using. Although its design and size are considered dated, I still think this a great all around radio to hit your local repeaters.

This radio is with-in every amateur's budget as well. The latest price I saw was just over $200.

I like how the keypad buttons are spaced and how the radio is not super compact. Most modern HT's now are becoming to feature laden with things you really will not use.

I have had good reports with this radio.

The one thing I am disappointed in, is how quickly the batteries diminish. Without warning, they go dead. The battery monitor is pretty much useless. One minute it shows full charge and the next minute you are scrambling around looking for that spare battery you purchased!

I would recommend this radio to anyone looking to purchase an HT.

AC0DB Rating: 4/5 Dec 8, 2005 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Does the job....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased it new and I was pleased with the feel and look of the radio. Maybe a bit wide from front to back, but not too terrible. TX and RX audio were great. I did have some wear on the keypad shortly after purchasing it, which was a little disheartening. The belt clip broke off of the back of the battery, rendering both the clip and the clamp on the battery useless. This part of the radio could have been more robust. But overall, for a dual band HT, it does a great job - and has alpha tags!

K6IHC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2005 00:21 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
First off, I am a Kenwood fan, in that I use (and program) Kenwood TK mobile radios in my public safety occupation and own quite a few ham and commercial Kenwood products.

This radio performs quite well for its price. It is fairly easy to use, as the menu setup is not too comprehensive. A self-produced *cheat sheet* is good to have on hand for some of the lesser used menu items. The alpha-numeric channel display is a great feature, as I tend to think of ham repeaters in terms of location or club affiliation, rather than frequency.

The so-so things: crummy belt clip design, physically weak antenna connector, audio output could be a bit higher, one more digit on alpha display would be nice.

Some good aftermarket stuff I've added: W&W Mfg. 9.6V/1000 mAh NiMH battery pack and W&W MC1a rapid drop-in charger, Raine nylon carry case w/ metal belt clip, Diamond SRH519 antenna.
The Kenwood BT-11 battery case for AA cells is good to have, too, though it still uses the crummy style of belt clip.
The programming software from Kenwood works pretty well, and I use a commercial style Kenwood-copy H/T programming cable. I've had my radio for over three years.

All in all, I highly recommend it for a first H/T(or first-out H/T) for VHF/UHF.

KB3LOT Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2005 22:29 Send this review to a friend
THE first time rig...THE best time rig...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I did a lot of research on what to buy for my first rig,and I made the right choice. I bought mine from KJI Electronics Caldwell NJ http://www.kjielectronics.com . He had the best price and the best advice. This radio is very rugged and goes everywhere with me. I can get into repeaters as far as 40 miles away from my kitchen. I put a wattmeter on it and some 2 meter frequencies have an output of 7 watts on high power. Great audio reports and no problems.
I highly recommend this radio for anyone. Another friend of mine who just got his ticket is about to purchase one too. I have used this on mountaintopping already getting into repeaters over 70 miles away.
73's
KB3LOT

AL2I Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2005 10:43 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the TH-G71A for a year now. It was purchased used from an avid outdoorsman who took it with him all over Alaska in all kinds of weather. In my own way, I am sure I have given it even worse abuse.

I typically change antennas several times a day, using it as a portable with a rubber duck antenna, as a mobile with a mag mount antenna, as a base with a base antenna, and recently, as a satellite link with a handheld crossed yagi antenna.

It has been left in the car all night at -35F and it has been in steady keydown while I get into long-winded philosophical discussions that go into repeater timeout and the antenna jack on the radio gets hot enough to fry bacon.

I've tried more expensive handhelds, such as my TH-F6A, and have found something that lacks when compared to the TH-G71A. For example, the TH-F6A with its wide band receiver is much, much more susceptible to receiver desense from nearby RF sources, and even when I am away from it all, I cannot get nearly the copy on a satellite QSO with the F6 as with the G71.

This radio is one of the all time greats, with great audio reports, easy to learn and intelligent menu functions, a ruggedness that exceeds expectations, and a receiver that is amazing.

N4SJW Rating: 0/5 Mar 19, 2005 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Dead on arrival  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As stated, opened the box, put on the battery pack, plugged in the charger, 15 hrs later, nothing, nada, dead as a doornail.

and I'll also give a two thumbs down for the cheap dysfunctional plastic belt clip.

KC6VBW Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2005 16:00 Send this review to a friend
A big bang for your money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As I live way out in a rural area, getting a HT to be able to hit the repeater some 30 miles away is difficult. I purchased 3 HT's a Yaesu VX-3 and a Vertex VX-150. Both of these radios are great for "city" use, but I was unable to hit the local repeater. When I recieved my TH-G71a, I was shocked. Recieve was great, Xmit was fantastic, I am able to hit the repeater. It has a good feeling in your hand. My brother works for a electronics company and we ran the HT's through some tests utilizing a Motorla spectrometer, the TH-G71A came out well within specs unlike its Yaesu counterpart. I have been a Yaesu fan for many years. I've been converted to Kenwood.

AC7NF Rating: 4/5 Mar 3, 2005 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Almost Great Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this radio for a few days now and these are first impressions.

I bought this HT on the recommendations of everyone here and even though I didn't give it a 5, I have to first of all say I'm glad I read these reviews and found them very helpful.

The number one reason I chose this was for off-frequency rejection (intermod). I live near the top of a hill in Seattle about a quarter mile from several towers that I believe include paging towers. The TH-G71A does a great job of rejecting those signals. It does a less great job of rejecting the noise produced by my PC and wireless network box. I probably have unreasonable expectations about this.

Positves:
The size is just right. Any smaller and I think it would be harder to handle and control as they would have to crowd all the buttons more or double up functions.

The sound is clear.

It is easy and natural to do the things I want to do, with one exception (see below).

Negatives:
One control I would like to have more handy access to is squelch. I need the squelch at maximum (5) to have a chance of keeping relatively quiet around my computer but I also like to work simplex and eavesdrop on aircraft traffic and want the squelch at minimum (1) for these. Beyond that I guess I just have an old habit of fiddling with the squelch from the old radios I've had. I miss having the knob with continuous control.

I saved the big one for last and that is the battery. It has been mentioned several times here so I wasn't too suprised that the battery life was short on the supplied NiCd. In fact, because of that I ordered the optional AA battery holder, and I would recommend that to all that own this rig. A much bigger problem than the battery life is the lack of any real notice before the battery is drained. I also had been warned about that here but was still suprised when, immediately after hearing a few beeps, the rig started to intermittently cut out. I thought I had a major problem until I put in the AA battery pack and everything was back to normal. This is really a major problem considering that Kenwood's manual tells you that to get the most out of your battery you must run it down to empty AND you must not leave it on the charger past full charge. I'll be buying a NiMH battery and quick charger but that won't change the problem of essentially no notice when the battery runs down. To me this is a major annoyance.

Hope this helps others and thanks to all of you that have shared your opinions.
Bob

N0WYO Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2005 10:46 Send this review to a friend
Just Love It!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this radio to replace my Icom W-32A which died unexpectedly.(still don't know what happened to it.) I wanted something smaller, that wouldn't hang off my belt like a sledge hammer.

This radio definitely goes toe to toe with my old Icom. And as I also own a Kenwood V7A, I find the remote control function easy to set up and use. The scan rate is excellent, the display is easily read, and the illumination on the radio is superb.

The only gripe I have about the radio is that if you have the radio clipped to your belt and you're listening to something, it's easy to hit a function button and/or change channels on the radio. It's most definitely a hands on radio.