Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Motorola Maxtrac Conventional Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola Maxtrac Conventional
Motorola Maxtrac Conventional Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Commercial grade radio.
More info: http://www.motorola.com/LMPS/RPG/NA/mobile/cmaxtrac/index.html

You can write your own review of the Motorola Maxtrac Conventional.

KB2CRK Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2011 06:10 Send this review to a friend
Great radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am using several of these maxtracs and a couple are parts built. simple to use, and easy to program if you know DOS and can get you hands on the no longer available software. I use two on uhf, one on vhf, and setting up another vhf for aprs. I also use a maxtrac on steroids, the 100 watt maratrac. these radios have been to hell and back and still work great. the kenwood tm241a i used to have died shortly after being installed in the car i have been using these in for over two year.

NT9M Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2009 16:23 Send this review to a friend
Working FB for Echolink  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have a 2 channel conventional UHF MaxTrac that a local radio tech obtained for me for the link radio for Echolink. Prior to that I had tried using a Yaesu amateur rig and a Kenwood commercial mobile, but in both cases had one problem or another with the interface.

Switching to the MaxTrac tamed my Echolink problems. Now the DTMF tones are decoded by the computer much more consistently, and the audio quality is very good. That big heat sink gets pretty warm during a long QSO so I'm going to put a fan on it just for insurance.

AF6IT Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2009 13:14 Send this review to a friend
Solid!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you can live without instant flexibility and too many bells & whistles then this is a nearly perfect mobile. That said, take some time at the repeater-builder website's Maxtrac section to see what to look for. There are MANY versions, and some are useless to hams, and others may require a mod or two to be useful. Then again if you know exactly what to look for you may even find one of those rare coveted models which require nothing more than just programming your frequencies, offsets, & PL. The software for programming is available for those willing to pirate Moto's "abandonware", but my thinking is if you really need to change things around a lot you'll be better off & happier with a YaeComLinco ham mobile. So do your homework and know what to expect & what to look for. These are excellent- for those who know what they're getting into.

AD5FD Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2006 20:39 Send this review to a friend
simple simon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i now have 2 m/m uhf radios i bought off ebay. once programmed and wired up the way u want it, its a KISS radio. my g/f, who is also a ham, saw the first one i am programming for echolink and wanted one for the car cause ' theres nothing to lock up!"
squelch is autiset and has good receive imo.
as others have noted, use a FAN for long ragchews or using as a link or repeater.

N0XJY Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2006 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Super radios  Time owned: more than 12 months
I personally own 15 of these radios of different configurations, in low or high power, and 2 or 16 channels. They are mounted in pickups, cars, tractors, straight trucks, combines, and base units. Some of them really take a beating, but they all perform wonderfully. Real commercial Motorola quality. The only thing I don't like about them is the tend to get a little warm while "chewing the rag". Other than that, they are super radios!
73, Brandon

KB1MMR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2006 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Maxtrac 300  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this transceiver for a base radio it performs extremely well on simplex and threw the repeaters. I added a motorola desk mike (tmn1005b) and got what some people call “killer” audio but I did un-cover one problem while running on batteries. When they started to drain the radio started to move off frequency and while doing that it began to over deviate, but adding a battery charger solved that problem. Over all I am very pleased with this radio and I think the features are great. ROCK SOLID,50 watts
If you want the best, it's gotta be Motorola.

AC5PS Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2004 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Built Like a Tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had six Maxtrac's for a little over two years and have had NO problems at all, and they were 10 or so years old already when I bought them !

Some draw backs are: not being able to program with-out special equipment and softwear. No " fancy " features such as tone scan etc....

I have a mixture of transceivers ham and commercial, it's handy to have a ham radio in the shack to take advantage of some of those features. But for some mobile and fix base use were I rarely have to change freq. good old Motorola gear is hard to beat.

VE6KEZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2004 23:17 Send this review to a friend
Built like a brick..SOLID  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had two of the 32 Ch VHF mobiles for about three months, this is one of the best radios I have ever used. When I hold the mic its like holding a mic you dont have to be scared to break it like most ham radios.
Once you have the programing software and cables you are set. The only drawback compared to ham radios is, if you need to change the tone on a frequency or the frequency you have to hook it up to a computer. But if you are like me and use Ham frequencies and emergency services frequenices your specs of the radio cover the whole band. With other ham radios if you do the out of band mod. the power drops quickly as you move away from the 144-148 mhz frequency range.

K7BEN Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2004 00:04 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own a few of these radios. Some on VHF, one on UHF and a few 900mhz rigs. They all perform great. You have to do a little research to get them set up correct but it's worth the extra time by far. I use one of the 900mhz models on my 900mhz repeater with a fan and it has worked great.

RAYJK110 Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2004 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great, solid radio! The best mobile radio that I have ever owned. It beats all of the Icom, Kenwood, and Midland radios that I have had (not that they are bad, just that the Maxtrac is alot better)- Got mine at a Hamfest for a trade in of a VHF P1225. The Maxtrac I own is the '300' VHF model, 32ch, and since I am not a ham yet, I use it on MURS (low low power). Exceptional radio-Once again, Motorola has done their job in providing good, reliable radios!