Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756
ICOM IC-756 Reviews: 71 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $2799.00
Description: 160 thru 6 meters TX, Gen coverage RX, 100 W, SSB,CW, AM & FM
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756.

DL9RDM Rating: 2/5 Aug 22, 2009 13:30 Send this review to a friend
a IMD nightmare  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had : FT-101, FT-102, IC-735, IC-765, IC-706, IC756, TS-930, TS-570, TS-50 TS-480, Elecraft-K2, FT-857, FT-950...

I made some A/B comparesen to my TS-570 I had at this time.

IC-756 sounds good in SSB

But RX:

The IC-756 is a nightmare on a huge Antenna in DL. A lot of IMD problems.
The TS-570 had no problem in this issue.

Most of the time I had to use 20dB ATT to hear something.
I do not recommend this Radio in Europe regarding strong IMD problems.

TS-570 had no IMD problems.

WA2WNJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2009 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love it . 5 5 5 5

LU5DDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2009 17:23 Send this review to a friend
muy bueno !!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
realmente el mejor audio en transmision que trabaje en mi vida de amateur .. mejor que el ft-847 lejos .. lastima que en ese tamaņo no le pusieran una ps switching .. nada que objetar .5/5 saludos jorge

KW4DP Rating: 4/5 Jul 15, 2009 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Rig BUT..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been a ham for 40 years so I have experience with several different radios. My first experience with Icom was an Icom 706MKII. Upon arrival the first thing I noticed was no ALC reading on Xmit and very little power output. Ran the mic gain wide open and still no ALC and not much more RF output. So I ended up running compression on and wow that made a difference and sounded good. Over the years I have owned the 706mkII, 2 706mkiiG and now the 756 all with the same problem. I know the IC-756 is an oldie but goodie. Same experience with the audio using the ICom hand mic HM-36. Mic gain all the way up very little output without compression What's the deal with the Icoms. Has it changed with the PRO line? I have been a Kenwood person for years and I have never experienced that problem with them. I like the operation of the radio, the placement of the controls and all the features if I could just get enough mic gain....

KD8EUJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2009 21:37 Send this review to a friend
From a 746nonpro to a 756 nonpro  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, Speaking on only owning Icoms a 706mkii, 746 and now a 756 i can only say im impressed.
The graduated advancement of the menu structure makes it easy to upgrade from any icom to the next. Making settings a breeze.
As far as radios go, each one was better than the last. only complaint is the crappy audio from they speakers, you need to buy a Sp-20 speaker another 200 bucks and oh, i highly recommend the sm-20 desk mike,another 200 bucks, if you dont buy a speaker buy the mike.
This is an subjective comment, not gonna get technical the radio is perfect for what i do.
Ok heres the best part this is serial number 02343 not a line in the display i never saw a line in the display, these radios were suppose to have a display problem well i havent and i bought it on ebay for 775.00
I figure if it had a display problem it would show up by now i've had it a month, no problem with the display , I got Lucky on Ebay:))
Thanks
kd8euj

Thanks
kd8euj

WD7F Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2008 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Replaced the Display  Time owned: more than 12 months
My IC-756 display had deteriorated to the point of unusable. ICOM says they don't support it any more and I found you could have the display refurbished by Sanyo via a UK ICOM dealer with a long lead time and more expense that the rig is worth. I found that PA7FA - Richard Rosenberger in the Netherlands has developed an LCD replacement display. I sent him the front panel of the rig and in less than two weeks I was back in business. Check it out at: http://www.pdatechcenter.nl/ham/

K7MDO Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2008 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Still happy......  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, it has been over a year now and I am still very happy with my -756.... no blue lines.... in fact nothing to complain about. I reviewed this unit when I bought it used in August of last year. Since then I have used it extensively on PSK and RTTY with no problems.

I "upgraded" from an IC-718 (which I found to be a great radio as well) and feel this set used at the $800 I paid was a real bargain.

The radio value per dollar in a used -756 is excellant in my opinion. 73

WD3T Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2008 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Have own since 1999, am orignal owner always worked great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted and was going to buy a IC-736, but they had just come out with this model and in 1999 I bought one new. never had any issues with it and has never needed to return to the factory. heard of so having problems with the lines on screen, but mine never has had those. reception is exelant and get good reports on Xmited qso's will upgrade to new rig one day but dought that I ever part with this radio. best feature is the scope, being able to see the qso around either side of you. Highly recomend just check out before you buy. Guess I was lucky with mine, it has always worked perfect for me. Good luck

OH6LHB Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2007 04:57 Send this review to a friend
Very good with some mods  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my ic-756 since 2004 and have been quite satisfied. I bought it from the second hand US with very reasonable price. I have added very wide 3.3 kHz SSB filter inside the rig and the low end response rised up very dramatically. I'm taking the audio out from the headphones jack and feeding it through the small Sony graphic EQ to a very good speakers and the audio is amazing ! The radios own speaker is a very poor quality. I am a little bit audiophile and also using in a transmitting side some audio equipment;PR40 Heil microphone, Ultravoice digital VX2496 as a preamp and Virtualizer Pro DSP 2024p made by Behringer and feeding the radio from the backside into a ACC1; usually getting very good audio reports. The display of the radio is very nice to use; you can notice for example the change of the propagation just looking at the display. Maybe the display could be a little bit more sensitive (you can find a modification for that and very easy to proceed).Also my display is having sometimes one blue horizontal line which appears when the humidity is high. I also succeed to blow the relay for the amplifier (you have to be very careful and not to use it with Heathkit or with Ameritron amplifiers !) The whole radio is very simple to use; very logical menus, big buttons and not looking and feeling cheap ones. I also added one 500 hz CW crystal filter and now I can work CW with APF filter and with the twin P.B.T. Working great ! It doesn't have two receivers, but it has a dualwatch which works crossbands ! Very nice to use in split operations. Rating of number 4 comes cause of those complains mentioned above.

73's and good dxing and rag chewing

Kari

W4CSM Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2007 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Display problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have known several people who had display problems with the 756. Since what I read here indicates that there were some (known) defective displays installed in ealier units, I wonder if anyone has asked Icom America if they would repair these units at no cost or very low cost. It looks a lot like an "auto recall" to me. I had an 11 year old car that had a defect fixed at no cost and they contacted me. I can't imagine Icom not being receptive to that notion.