Reviews Categories | Batteries & Chargers for amateur radios. | Maha MH-C777PLUS Help

Reviews Summary for Maha MH-C777PLUS
Maha MH-C777PLUS Reviews: 33 Average rating: 2.4/5 MSRP: $89.95
Description: A charger that will charge, condition, analyze, and digitally display capacity, voltage, and time for almost any Lithium Ion, NiMH, and NiCD battery packs. Based on the invaluable inputs of thousands of Maha product users and engineers, the MH-C777 PLUS is designed with you in mind. From its universal charging capability for almost any shape Lithium Ion, NiMH, and NiCD battery packs to its digital voltage and capacity display, the MH-C777 PLUS is a true winner. Best of all, with all of these advanced features the charger is available at a affordable consumer cost.
More info: http://www.mahaenergy.com/products/radios/amateur/chargers/mhc777plus.htm

You can write your own review of the Maha MH-C777PLUS.

NC2F Rating: 0/5 Oct 3, 2004 06:28 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed .  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this unit in 2001 and I can confirm the many comments here regarding an excessive charging rate, ineffective heat detection/shut-off, and difficulty of initiating a charge as well.

If you plan to use this, make sure you don't walk away or you'll risk frying your batteries (if you can initiate a charge, that is). I refuse to use junky "stuff" like this, and this thing is no longer part of my gear as a result of it's poor design/build...

If Maha was worth their salt as a company, they would recall this piece of crapola.

KC7WGS Rating: 0/5 Oct 2, 2004 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Piece of junk  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After burning up several battery packs I threw it on the shelf where it will stay until I can stomach the idea that I paid too much money for a piece of garbage.

Worked fine for a couple months then began giving erroneous readings and making strange beeps. Then the packs got very hot so I trashed the thing.

My one call to support was so useless I didn't try again.

WB2JIX Rating: 2/5 Feb 22, 2004 19:29 Send this review to a friend
SO-SO  Time owned: more than 12 months
Although the folks at MAHA are very helpful and really go out of their way, they need help in engineering products that will perform flawlessly. My charger has been back for service once and when I asked about the sparks that fly from the power plug every time you plug it in, they said that's normal. Not cool in my book. Yes, it's tough to align the pins. When it does work, it's great and there's no better way to "condition" a battery. Their NiMh replacements for FT-80R sometimes work and sometimes don't. In my opinion, it's tough to beat the OEM batteries.

K6SDW Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2003 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought mine at Dayton and so far so good -- really impressed with its operation and I saved $40 buying at Dayton! Only complaint is that it can be really difficult to align the pins of the battery with the charger....but then given it's a universal-style charger I don't know what else can be done to this design that would improve this situation?

All-in-all it has charged a variety of batteries without any problems.

KD5WUV Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2003 16:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A lot of ppl have left negative remakrs about this unit. I just got mine today and have had no problems whatsoever. I've charged my TH-D7A(G) battery and no problems. Pack didn't even get warm and Now I'm charging my cell phones battery. I'll leave a follow-up in a few weeks or if/when something happens to it. Until then, more power to you (battery joke). 73 Daniel

KB7DXA Rating: 0/5 Apr 16, 2003 23:24 Send this review to a friend
Severe over charge  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought a MH-C777PLUS-II. The batteries being charged with it seemed to me to be getting way too hot... About 50 to 70 degrees F above ambient.
I called Maha and spoke to the engineer. (Lucky for me the engineer answered the phone that evening, because later, when I spoke with anyone else they had no technical understanding of how this model is supposed to work, not even tech support.)
During our phone conversation the engineer and I determined that my MH-C777PLUS-II was overcharging. Maha arranged to send me a replacement unit. I received the replacement a week later. I tested the replacement unit, and it had the identical problem.
The problem is that these units overcharge the cells. The unit is supposed to stop rapid charging and switch to a float charge when the Negative Delta Voltage is at about .007 volts per cell. My tests have determined that the units do not switch to a float charge until the Negative Delta Voltage (NDV) is .065 volts per cell. (almost 10 times greater than spec.) Iím sure youíll agree this is an unacceptable amount of overcharging and is harmful.
I have charged and recharged seven different battery packs many times. I have tested with five different brands of batteries. I have tried NiCd and NiMH. Sizes range from 1000 mAh to 2200 mAh. I have plotted Current, Voltage, and Temperature. The amount of overcharge is about the same on any battery pack, any brand, and either NiCd or NiMH chemistry. In total, I plotted about 50 charge cycles.
When charging SHOULD BE considered complete, (that is... the Negative Delta Voltage is at about .007 volts per cell) the temperature of a battery pack was typically at 85 to 95 degrees. Very reasonable temperatures for rapid charging at 800mA. In my tests, the ambient temperature was always around 70 degrees F.
HOWEVER... THE MH-C777PLUS-II KEEPS CHARGING ANYHOW ! By the time the MH-C777PLUS-II units stop overcharging and switch to a float charge, the battery case temperature has often risen to 140 degrees F. Certainly not healthy for the cells.
Just to clarify: The NDV is not erratic. It is always wrong about the same amount. Funny thing... the NDV is off by an amount very close to one decimal point! I wonder if that could be caused by a programming error of exactly one decimal point somewhere in the algorithm!! Could that be??
It seems unrealistic to assume that I have received two bad units, especially since they have serial numbers that are numerically far apart, different looking boxes, and reprinted manuals etc.
Five times I requested Maha to agree to test my units and confirm my findings. They never responded.
Please learn from my mistake. Do not buy one of these.

N0SP Rating: 3/5 Jan 25, 2003 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Unacceptably High Charge Rate  Time owned: more than 12 months

I couldn't decide if I wanted to give this a 2 or a 4. It's a "4" if you know what you're doing, but a "2" if you
just let it do it's thing. I've measured the charge rate and it's way too high for any AA sized NiCad or NmH
batteries. When I do any charging of these batteries (of which I have many) I always use the Lithium Ion
setting on the charger and monitor the progress. I then disconnect the charger before it completes it's natural
cycle. The reason for this is the lower charge rate provided on the Li-Ion setting. (around 350ma.) NiCads love being charged
at about 10% of their capacity.. which would be around 100 ma. on a typical high capacity Nicad. This would
result in a fully charged cell with no stress. This charger blasts it with much more... around 700 ma.(!) eroding
the battery's useful life in the process. If I didn't know better I'd conclude that Maha was using this thing to
sell batteries! This unit would be perfect if it had a "rapid charge" setting of around 400 ma and a "standard"
rate of around 100 ma.
The 777PLUS would be right at home if you were charging a 7 to 12 volt bank of D-cell nicads... I mean
REAL D cells, not the Radio Shack junk which have VERY low capacity. They too would be stressed by the
777. My 777PLUS sits on the shelf gathering dust most of the time. When I want a good full charge on my
many nicads I load up my Yaesu FT-817 with the dead batteries and give them a nice charge at 140ma for 10
hours...(1800mah capacity) they stay cool and get a healthier charge.
Dennis
NōSP

KD7PLU Rating: 0/5 Dec 5, 2002 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Maha = Failure  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm glad I read about this discharge-meltdown issue. I may just do that to mine so I can call it a complete loss and move on. I picked up my unit at the Ft. Tuthill hamfest, against the advice of SEVERAL other hams. They were right.

It was about 75 Dollars, and I wanted it more for Pb batteries than any other type. The MiCD/MiHH setting should be one for each, as I doubt the charge controller really has internal detection and settings for these two systems. The LIon setting is a waste and even the book says it takes forever to charge; Even if your wall-wart will charge the same battery in an hour, and in cell-phone use, lasts for about two years. Why make the Maha so complicated on that front? They should have a lead acid setting if this is supposed to be a standard for hams; But I use it in NiCD/NiMH setting and charge 12v & 6v SLA & VRLA batteries (That I don't care about) frequently. In fact, one of the Pb batteries I carge with the maha is used to run a 70MM fan when the Maha charges 8-AA packs if MiMH batteries. Anything LESS than 8 AA batteries will be destroyed by the Maha.

It should have a manual setting for input voltage and charge current, and not the blow-and-go overvoltage test charge and current-dump method that anyone could replicate with much less than 80 or so dollars to watch an LCD screen fry your equipment.

I've used it for my W-32 batteries (The stock ones that also suck, like the charger) and they do a perfectly horrible job of being charged to about 40 minutes capacity when put in use. This charger is a failure. The other users comments on this subject validate this as fact and not opinion. The unit sucks.

Loren B. Cobb / KD7PLU

WA4OBJ Rating: 1/5 Oct 20, 2002 22:52 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed charging Li Ion batteries  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've had this unit for about 6 months now. It seems to work OK on NiCads but be careful with Lithium Ion. My unit nevers completes a charge. Instead, it goes into a non-stop beeping mode after a couple of hours. Removing the battery doesn't help, you have to unplug it. I talked to the Maha people at Pacificon. They acknowledged there was a problem with all of the MH-C777 Plus chargers. Their recommended fix was to buy a MH-C777 Plus II and scrap my "old" unit. No trade in of course. Not exactly what I would call good customer support. I'm considering going after it with an ice pick to break the speaker so at least I don't have to listen to it. Another issue with this charger is that unless you are right on top of it when it finishes the battery condiditoning cycle, you will not know how your battery is doing. There should either be a "start charge" button or some way to recall the battery capacity at a later time. All in all, I wish I hadn't bought this charger and am quite disappointed.

KE6PID Rating: 2/5 Sep 18, 2002 01:32 Send this review to a friend
It's miniature Armageddon in there!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It works okay, BUT...it has an extremely fast charge rate, smaller battery packs will overheat. By the time the magnetic temperature sender identifies the cell temperature inside the case it's miniature Armageddon in there! (Itís way to hot). Some battery packs have thermal switches inside and will be overloaded by the fast charge rate causing the charger to restart the charge cycle. On larger packs (1000 mAh or more)it seems okay. It has destroyed at least one battery pack (Icom BP-200, 680 mAh) but works well on C and D cell batteries in a battery holder. The charger should have a switch to allow for dual charge rates for smaller batteries. It has a switch for LiIon packs, it charges more slowly. Otherwise itís pretty good.