Reviews Categories | Ham Repeater Controllers | Link Communications RLC-Club Help

Reviews Summary for Link Communications RLC-Club
Link Communications RLC-Club Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.2/5 MSRP: $599.95
Description: Single-Port Talking Repeater Controller
More info: http://www.rlccontrollers.com/index.php/site/

You can write your own review of the Link Communications RLC-Club.

WA7ABU Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2009 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Best controller for a Club  Time owned: more than 12 months
We have had the Club controller for years and have had support from other users, which makes it the best possible for us. We have had no failures. The controller configuration we purchased supports 2 ports and some recorded speech.

After using many brands of controllers, I find all require substantial learning and reading from the manuals and occasional personal letters to the manufacturers if they are flexible.

If you wish a simple, but not flexible and easy to program controller, look at NHRC controllers-set and forget.

N8OBU Rating: 2/5 Apr 22, 2005 19:46 Send this review to a friend
club deluxe 2/ 6 port  Time owned: more than 12 months
This should be one of the best controllers ever made..but the lack of firmware updates and a real working software program it has become a love hate issue I own two 6 port club deluxe 2 controllers and a 2 port club. our group{cman} owns around 20 linkcomm controllers in total and we tend to do a lot of programing that most users could not understand and ask of theres. I use all sixports on mine and have expanded it to 8 ports total by adding a three port expander to it ..There is a user group but hold on and be ready to be bashed if ya post anything bad about linkcomm there.I have my controller set up to run a kenwood ts2000 and I can control all most every button on the radio from the keypad of my handheld radios[lots of programing] I have 2 ports for repeaters and 2 ports for remote receivers 1 port for echolink and 3 ports used for remote bases. The bottom line the best controller out there with the worst track record for updates and no real useable software to back up what you do. Hope this helps some one out,, cat controllers are worst they lack macros mike b n8obu

WA9BA Rating: 3/5 Feb 19, 2005 04:19 Send this review to a friend
Windows software needs updating.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The controller works great but the programming is complex. The manual is very detailed but it requires several jumps forward and backwards to follow thru on some topics. I have spent hours and hours trying to change some macro settings, then when I tryed to impliment them, I get error messages. If an updated Windows based software were available with most topics covered, it would be a great controller. Who has hours and hours to learn the ropes on programming?
The controller is one of the most versital available but there is too large a learning curve for the average ham. Most repeater trustees have a limited amount of time and refining the programming uses too much of this time.

NB2A Rating: 2/5 Mar 2, 2004 12:14 Send this review to a friend
Needs help  Time owned: more than 12 months
This controller is a an ok one at best but for the amount of money though it is disappointing. It does not program with a windows based program with all its features except the basic ones.They gave up on getting a windows based software to program any of their equipment so they say. It needs a program such as hyperlink and it takes lots of typing and a complete understanding of all its codes to benefit that way. It can lose its programming totally on reinitializing and you have to start from scratch all over again.You cannot save all your programming directly from the controler itself.
It also does not upgrade firmware directly you must change/update via the prom it self requiring it to be burned not downloaded directly into the serial port like some other brands now do.It worked ok for me up until interfacing another repeater on port 2 or trying to add the ICM that Link Comm sells as an option. Neither worked and in fact both failed from a component level a few times.Customer service leaves a lot to be desired too . You can get maybe one person to really try and help you there but it wont be ALLAN OVERCAST! He needs to take some customer service courses to say the least.As far as controllers the RLC2 is problematic for me as well. It wont work at all even via hyperlink on the serial port.It just programs via DTMF. I am told by them the serial port chip tends to fail. I think maybe that is why they discontinued this model and replaced it with another.I still use ACC 850s they seem to work fine.If you find one used that maybe your best bet.Good luck and dont ever stop speaking your mind about the equipment! This is a free country right?
Oh and dont criticize RLC on their yahoo group they dont take kindly to it and you may find yourself getting ganged up on by their so called supporters maybe getting some freebies!
RLC-(negative) group was formed I am told for just this reason!You can speak freely there instead!

KC2HQH Rating: 4/5 Jul 31, 2003 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Great if you have spare time  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently became control op of a repeater near my school QTH...and by control op, he gave me the keys to a room, gave me a piece of paper with the password, and gave the manual, and told me to have a good time.

What I have found is that the controller is VERY customizeable...I can make the courtesy tone any frequency, and series of frequencies, something from the voice synthesizer, anything at all really. The only issue I have is that the controller takes ALOT of time to program...you have to log on, thats 3 sets of codes, then set anything, and each setting has at least 10 or 20 digits in it.

The club has also had issues with lightening and the reverse patch...although that may be the fault of the location of the antenna...

All in all, its a great controller if you have enough time to play with it(Like i do ^_^)