Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Pegasus Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Pegasus
Ten-Tec Pegasus Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $895
Description: DSP-based HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT550.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Pegasus.

OD5ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2013 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Ten-Tec Pegasus   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading so many reports on eHam I wanted to test the Pegasus.
I was happy to find one in pretty good shape on eBay , I downloaded the N4PY software , which is a nice piece of software.
At first I was confused how to hook it up to my Amplifier since the Pegasus does not have an ALC jack but that did not prove to be a problem , after hooking it and going on the air I can tell you I have been getting reports about the audio quality and signal strength that I did not get before, plus the reception is perfect with the filters you can eliminate most QRM due to adjacent stations calling, if there is any you can use the filter and you can only hear the station you want on the freq and no QRM , stations with S1 is not a problem to copy.
If you find one in good shape do not let it get away, you will be glad you have it in your shack , just wonder why Ten-Tec discontinued this great rig in the meantime I am enjoying using it.

73 de OD5ZZ

KC5GWU Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2013 13:31 Send this review to a friend
It just works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased 3 weeks ago on Ebay - talked with Ten Tec Service (they define customer service!) and installed new transmit relays. Rig now as new.
I effortlessly tune from Am broadcast through SW, join a ssb net on 20 meters, then rag chew on cw 30 meters, the autotuner keeping pace. Selection of DSP filters, RIT, XIT, PSB are all a touchpad click away. Control of the radio via the computer is intuitive, requiring no external knobs, wheels or buttons. Ten Tec GUI addresses everything the radio can do. I operate mostly casual CW with a few SSB nets, evening AM, and maybe BBC or Radio Australia thrown in. Moving through the bands, tuning, setting preferences, using memories, all are intuitive. I will read the manual! Line out to small 10 w amp, 2 4.5" acoustical suspension speakers gives broadcast quality AM, super clear SSB and pleasant CW; filters and pass band remove hiss/roar. Most contacts comment on clear cw tone or "fabulous,remarkable, broadcast" ssb transmission. My best investment in 18 years of amateur radio. if radio is about how you are heard and what you hear, the Pegasus is the right stuff.

N3OD Rating: 5/5 Jun 19, 2012 06:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent especially considering price and age  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Pegasus is a very early model 2001.I am strictly an SSB operator, so I can't comment on its CW performance. That said, I know that TT's reputation is excellent for both CW and SSB. I operate mostly casual rag-chewing so I can not comment on its contest performance. I really like the many different bandwidths available both on transmit and receive. I also like that it always right on frequency unlike some other TT rigs I have owned. I did have some problems with relays on the BP filter. I guess TT had a bad bunch of relays. That was all taken care of by the TT service department and it has been trouble free since.All in all I am sorry I didn't buy 2 of these great radios.They are hard to find on the used market.

WB5CYS Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2012 14:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Fun!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up an old Ten-Tec Pegasus and downloaded the N4PY control software and I haven't looked back! It is astounding that a radio designed 13 years ago and discontinued 6 years ago can still be so up to date. This is the beauty of SDR. The software keeps the radio current and the N4PY software is just amazing.

I coupled a Ten-Tec RX-320D SDR receiver as a secondary receiver to the Pegasus. It took about 15 minutes for me to review and configure the software and I was up and running. No big hit to my computer's processing power and a standard USB port or serial port is all that is required.

I toyed around with a Flex but the demands on my computer system and the extremely finicky firewire interface proved way too frustrating. Intermittent connectivity was all I could get even with a very powerful brand new computer system (i7 quad-core). The firewire interface is a big negative for Flex in my opinion - but back to my review.

I am operating CW, all digital modes, SSB with great audio reports, split operations, qrp to 110 watts and driving my Ameritron AL-80B when needed.

There are other reviews which very clearly and completely discuss the technical aspects of this little radio, so no need for me to repeat them. I just wanted to add that all the frustrations associated with computer controlled operations are gone with the Pegasus and the N4PY software and all the fun is there.

I understand that Ten-Tec discontinued this radio because they did not want to maintain the programming skills necessary to produce capable software to go with it. That is a true shame because even today it is an extremely modern and satisfying radio and there is software available that really makes it shine.

Pick one up if you can - they are developing quite a cult following I think. You will really like it if you have an interest in computer controlled operations.

My Kenwood TS-450 and my Icom IC-756PRO are dark now because I am having too much fun with this dandy little Pegasus.

NY4D Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2011 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Fun Rig That Won Me Over  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the Pegasus for about a week and it has been a big surprise to me. I downloaded the latest software - yes they have updated it in 2011 - and did the flash update. Hooked it up to my netbook running XP and was up and running.

Ran into low tx audio with a Ten-Tec desk mic but read that there was an internal adjustment. No service info available but if you follow the mic leads from the chassis socket, the adjustment pot is right next to the header socket for the mic leads. In getting this set just right for my purposes it is obvious that just about any mic can be made to work with this rig with this internal adjustment.

The delightful part of this rig is the abundance of filter widths, there are 34 all together, with 9 (you pick which ones) being displayed at any one time. The fact that any of them work in any mode and that the if shift is infinitely variable within the passband means that this receiver performs very well. So far, in the really miserable HF conditions we've endured lately, it has done very well. I have a high end rig in the shack right now, an Icom 775dsp, and the Pegasus, while of course not its equal, holds its own fairly well.

It's got band sweep, as many alpha tagged memories as your computer allows (probably thousands,) and a settings menu that you can adjust on the fly.

The manual is a little outdated, the flash updates have added AM transmit, 60 meters, a low power tune function, Windows 7 compatibility, etc. You can get the latest software upgrades at the Ten-Tec website.

The n4py software was recommended to me but so far I am having so much fun with the free one provided by Ten-Tec that that will be a project for down the road.

I have always been a knob, button, and dial man, but the interface and the performance of this "PC Controlled Amateur Radio Transceiver" won me over. Yes you have to use it with a computer but the one you gave away years ago would work fine. The software is so efficient that it will run even back to Windows 3.1.

Couple of nits but not enough to downgrade the rig: lack of external speaker output (there's a line output and a headphone jack) and the noise reduction is a tad aggressive most of the time.

If you can find one at a decent price there is a lot of bang for the buck here. And it is a lot of fun to use. And let's not forget that it is "Made In The U.S.A."

AC5XP Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2011 09:09 Send this review to a friend
Excellent software defined radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The TenTec 550 Pegasus

This is quite a remarkable radio from the boys from Tennessee. And a very positive surprise after my not so good experiences with a Paragon that I once owned many years ago.
After a long search I finally was able to buy the Pegasus (they are very hard to find on the used market due to their cult status).
For those of you who don't know this radio, it basically is a software-defined radio. The entire IF processing is done by a fast Analog Devices digital signal processor, for both the receiver as well as the transmitter.
The radio has no physical controls other than the ON-OFF switch. It connects via an RS232 port to a PC, on which a TenTec provided GUI (graphic user interface) offers all the controls to the user, as well as frequency readout and the like. The GUI runs on all versions of Windows that I know of, from Win98 all the way to Windows 7. It is very intuitive and user-friendly; I never had to open the manual.
I also tested it with one of those low-cost USB to RS232 converters which works perfect as well, in case your PC has no RS232 ports.

Nice thing about this remote-control concept is that there are no physical controls that can go bad: No scratchy pots, no frequency dial that suddenly starts skipping steps, do display that suddenly starts to develop problems with the LCD. An old $25 laptop running Win98 bought at a flea market can do all these functions. Or your $3000 quad-processor super-duper PC, whichever you prefer.

The radio is built very well. Inside looks very clean and everything is easy to reach in the unlikely event that servicing would be needed. The input and output ports make a rigid impression on both the front panel as well as the rear apron, no flimsyness on this radio. It runs from an external 13.8V DC power supply. The absence of an internal PSU makes the radio very light, not in the least because the whole frame is aluminum, with the exception of the rear apron and the case which is sheet metal for improved rigidity.

How does it perform? well – that is the real reason why I write this review. This radio is in one word phenomenal.
There is a whole host of filters for the user, from a narrow CW filter to an 8kHz AM filter. Any filter can be used in any mode, and any carrier point (sometimes called "IF shift") can be chosen. This filter flexibility I really love. Most competing radios are so "intelligent" that the "right" filter is selected for a particular mode. Especially if you like digital modes (like I do) this is a real pain. Because there are so many different modes requiring different filters and carrier points, it is important that for the SSB mode (where most modern digital modes need to be operated) any filter and carrier point can be selected. This radio allows that, which makes it the perfect radio for the digital modes.

The receiver as a whole is very impressive. Excellent AGC function, great sensitivity even on 10 meter and not the slightest problems with overloading. I tested this latter issue in the shortwave broadcast bands in the evening, where most stations push the needle past the +50dB mark. But even without the attenuator activated, the Pegasus works flawless. You still can pick out that weak station even in the presence of such big guns.
This sometimes makes you wonder why anyone would need that $5000 radio with the impressive dynamic range numbers on paper – As long as you don’t have a radio ham as a neighbor, it is unlikely the average ham would ever need such dynamic range performance. The Pegasus gives the perfect balance for dynamic range requirements what one would need in real-life situations (the broadcast canons) versus affordability.

What else can I report? Let's see – AM operation also on transmit, the latest firmware upgrade from TenTec also allows transmit operation on 60 meter band, silk smooth tuning without artifacts all the way up to 1 Hz steps (programmable), an effective noise blanker, an automatic IF heterodyne killer (notch filter), a very good working digital noise processor, the best I have experienced on any radio (one that really helps to curb listening fatigue) and an RF speech processor.
Also: Unlimited memory channel storage, allowing added text labels and storage of mode and filter characteristics for each individually stored channel.
The radio's modulation is excellent (different TX filter widths can be chosen), and output power is above 100W for all bands.

This radio really made me change my mind about TenTec. A terrific radio worthy of any classic radio collection!

73s, Loek "Luke" d’Hont, AC5XP

VA3PWC Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 11:30 Send this review to a friend
PC-Controled Radio (Not SDR)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the PEG for 2 years, and this radio is lots of fun. Very good reception (triple conversion) with many filters + DSP.
I decided to sell it because I wanted a PRO3, now I am looking for another PEG in good conditions with accessories. There are only 4 PEG´s in Brazil, and none of them are for sale.
If you don´t enjoy a radio without display or manual VFO, but if you like Ten-Tec you must get the Jupiter. I am pretty sure you will enjoy this equipment. Rick PY2EL / VA3PWC

KA1KLA Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Fun Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second time around with the Ten Tec Pegasus.I sold the first one last year and was sorry I did.I was lucky enough to find another Pegasus on QRZ this week. I alway received good audio reports and I love the receiver.Just a nice radio.I also have the OrionII,Flex 5000 and Icom IC 7800

KG6TT Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 11:51 Send this review to a friend
It is a hoot to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a Ten-Tec fan for over 30 years and up until about a year ago I had nearly every one ever produced (or so it seemed). When it came down to seriously reducing the number of transceivers my shortlist for Ten-Tec included my Orion and my Pegasus. Like the previous reviewer experienced, I too had a Jupiter but didn't like it as much as the Pegasus. Strange when you consider that the circuits are nearly identical... and the Jupiter has had the blessing of a few more firmware upgrades (shame on you Ten-Tec... you broke that promise! Ah, life.)

The Pegasus truly comes to life with the later versions of N4PY control software. The cosmetic kinship to Ten-Tec's free GUI is really only skin deep. N4PY is a fast running 32-bit program that sports programming options and versatility that.... when coupled with the Pegasus and the Ten-Tec remote controller... creates a powerful, highly functional user experience.

I probably wouldn't use my Pegasus in the troughs of a maddening contest. Absent that it has a very open and pleasing sound both as a transmitter and a receiver.

Notes:
1. The internal speaker is marginal at best. The Pegasus, unlike the Jupiter, does NOT have an external speaker connector although many have modified their's (caution the audio outputs are not referenced to ground). I have my Pegasus audio out going into a LogiKit SCAF-1 filter/amp to a SoundSweet speaker. Nice.
2. The Pegasus, like every Ten-Tec I am familiar with, does NOT incorporate SWR roll-back protection... relying instead on the power supply providing fast over-current protection. You see the Pegasus, depending on the nature of the SWR, can keep pulling more and more current until.... So I don't suggest mating it up to a 35A power supply without adding a very fast circuit breaker that pops around 20 amps. The one circuit difference the Jupiter added was internal over-current protection.
3. This is a perfect transceiver for modern digital modes such as PSK or Olivia.... yet it is sweet with CW and flexible with SSB.
4. Using the Pegasus without the external controller is just lame... and if you have the controller pair it up with N4PY's software and customize what that controller can do (you would be surprised.)
5. As Carl for a 30-day version (or is it 10-days?) and READ the HELP file. You will be amazed at what the Pegasus can do.
6. Quiet and cool running. The Pegasus allows a full 100% duty cycle during transmit, but if you routinely operate it like that for long stretches you might as well invest in Ten-Tec's external fan accessory (the one for the Orion works perfectly).
7. VALUE! At a current street price of around $500-$600 it can be the perfect transceiver for many hams.

Jerry, KG6TT

W5KG Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Good 4.5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will give the Peg a 5 even though a 4.5 would be better. It is alot better than the 4.0.
I have owned several other TT rigs including the Jupiter, which I did not like very much.
I have found the Peg is easy to use with the TT GUI.
I bought "Callsign's" software and it is every nice to use but not easy.
Might should have bought N4PY's software and I might some day.
Filters in the Peg are very nice but not as good as crystal filters.
Tx is equall to most transceivers today and the Noise Reduction and Auto Notch may be even better than some of the newer IF DSP rigs.
I enjoy using the Peg and will keep it for a back up rig.
TT should not have dropped it.
Don, W5KG