Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Pegasus Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Pegasus
Ten-Tec Pegasus Reviews: 54 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $895
Description: DSP-based HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT550.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Pegasus.

K1KLA Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2011 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Fun Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second time around with the Ten Tec Pegasus.I sold the first one last year and was sorry I did.I was lucky enough to find another Pegasus on QRZ this week. I alway received good audio reports and I love the receiver.Just a nice radio.I also have the OrionII,Flex 5000 and Icom IC 7800

KG6TT Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 11:51 Send this review to a friend
It is a hoot to use!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been a Ten-Tec fan for over 30 years and up until about a year ago I had nearly every one ever produced (or so it seemed). When it came down to seriously reducing the number of transceivers my shortlist for Ten-Tec included my Orion and my Pegasus. Like the previous reviewer experienced, I too had a Jupiter but didn't like it as much as the Pegasus. Strange when you consider that the circuits are nearly identical... and the Jupiter has had the blessing of a few more firmware upgrades (shame on you Ten-Tec... you broke that promise! Ah, life.)

The Pegasus truly comes to life with the later versions of N4PY control software. The cosmetic kinship to Ten-Tec's free GUI is really only skin deep. N4PY is a fast running 32-bit program that sports programming options and versatility that.... when coupled with the Pegasus and the Ten-Tec remote controller... creates a powerful, highly functional user experience.

I probably wouldn't use my Pegasus in the troughs of a maddening contest. Absent that it has a very open and pleasing sound both as a transmitter and a receiver.

Notes:
1. The internal speaker is marginal at best. The Pegasus, unlike the Jupiter, does NOT have an external speaker connector although many have modified their's (caution the audio outputs are not referenced to ground). I have my Pegasus audio out going into a LogiKit SCAF-1 filter/amp to a SoundSweet speaker. Nice.
2. The Pegasus, like every Ten-Tec I am familiar with, does NOT incorporate SWR roll-back protection... relying instead on the power supply providing fast over-current protection. You see the Pegasus, depending on the nature of the SWR, can keep pulling more and more current until.... So I don't suggest mating it up to a 35A power supply without adding a very fast circuit breaker that pops around 20 amps. The one circuit difference the Jupiter added was internal over-current protection.
3. This is a perfect transceiver for modern digital modes such as PSK or Olivia.... yet it is sweet with CW and flexible with SSB.
4. Using the Pegasus without the external controller is just lame... and if you have the controller pair it up with N4PY's software and customize what that controller can do (you would be surprised.)
5. As Carl for a 30-day version (or is it 10-days?) and READ the HELP file. You will be amazed at what the Pegasus can do.
6. Quiet and cool running. The Pegasus allows a full 100% duty cycle during transmit, but if you routinely operate it like that for long stretches you might as well invest in Ten-Tec's external fan accessory (the one for the Orion works perfectly).
7. VALUE! At a current street price of around $500-$600 it can be the perfect transceiver for many hams.

Jerry, KG6TT

W5KG Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Very Good 4.5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I will give the Peg a 5 even though a 4.5 would be better. It is alot better than the 4.0.
I have owned several other TT rigs including the Jupiter, which I did not like very much.
I have found the Peg is easy to use with the TT GUI.
I bought "Callsign's" software and it is every nice to use but not easy.
Might should have bought N4PY's software and I might some day.
Filters in the Peg are very nice but not as good as crystal filters.
Tx is equall to most transceivers today and the Noise Reduction and Auto Notch may be even better than some of the newer IF DSP rigs.
I enjoy using the Peg and will keep it for a back up rig.
TT should not have dropped it.
Don, W5KG

K0CRX Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2008 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used on eBay about 8 years ago. Later, I added the big knob (ya gotta have at least one knob or it just is not a radio!!). I use it regularly, zero problems, I love it. BTW, I love my ol' Paragon, too!

Mike
K 0 Collects Radios eXclusively

KI4DWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Forget spending thousand on a SDR etc this radio works great with the NP4Y software you can do all as the big gun rigs. Have the 2 mtr and 6 mtr transverters HAVE A COMPLETE SHACK.

KE7BRJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2005 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Every one else has already gone over the specs. I can't find anything wrong with mine. N4PY software, remote dial and internal tuner make this an awesome rig.

W3PH Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2005 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Definitely fun, if not a 'serious' radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Pegasus is a lot of fun - I like it enough that I got a 2nd one to use as a standby rig at my 2nd QTH. It definitely falls short of 'competition grade' but I've used it in several CW contests and it has performed well. I have no nearby ham or AM broadcast neighbors, so the Peg's mediocre specs aren't a big hindrance for me.

Pros:

+It's small, can fit under desk/table
+Lots of filtering choices
+Clean cw keying (with correct compensation - see below)
+Great QSK
+Good audio, both tx and rx
+N4PY software is fantastic and doesn't need a fancy PC - I'm using an old 300 Mhz Pentium laptop
+Have had 3 failures, but construction of the Peg is such that I've been able to fix the problems myself (finals, band-selection relays) despite lack of schematics or service info
+Remote encoder (a must-have) has buttons that N4PY software lets you use for just about any function you want, giving you great control-ability if you can remember what function you assigned to which button

Cons:

-blew finals in one when feedline developed an intermittent connection - no foldback (N4PY software handles high SWR foldback but it didn't help in this case).
-Both of my Pegs have developed bad relays (one on 160, the other on 40)
-DSP is nice, but ultimate selectivity nowhere near as good as cascaded xtal filters
-needs a good bit of keying compensation on CW - with the proper keyer this is no trouble, but is annoying
-TenTec has abandoned the radio firmware-wise - final firmware was released 6/25/2003 - it works well enough with the most recent firmware, but the promise of upgradeability is hollow. Firmware upgrades for the Jupiter appear to have been dropped as well (most recent is 11/14/2003, and the Jupiter is still in production) - I'm considering an Orion but am nervous that they'll drop firmware upgrades for that too when the next project comes along.
-TenTec control software rates maybe a 3 out of 5 - not a big problem what with N4PY software, but without N4PY the radio wouldn't be nearly as nice. Odd that TenTec doesn't acknowledge N4PY (or CallsignSoftware, etc.) on their web site.
-No speaker jack - what's with that?
-Manual definitely an afterthought. No schematic or alignment info.
-TenTec desk mike built like a toy - fortunately, Heil, etc. have alternatives

I've gone back to using my TS-940SATs for DX chasing and contesting (cascaded Inrad filters make these great rigs), but I do use the Pegs for variety and have had a lot of fun with them.

N6JSX Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2005 09:20 Send this review to a friend
OK- butttttttt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a Peg and overall "I like it" but I find a number of dumb issues with the Peg - TT support is questionable.

How good the Peg operates is almost purely a function of the software program! The TT program is not impressive but far better than DxLab CVI, there are many FREE versions - like older N4PY/VE1ADH flopping around. Major problem with these FREEware versions are they have NO "help" files so you must guess/tinker to discover "what some of the program buttons" do.

CON's:
The Peg User Manual is very POOR - the worst commercially produced radio user manual to date. Critical common sense info items are missing, like is the line out/phone jacks mono or stereo? Interface circuit details missing. How can I check if I have the latest Peg Firmare installed? What are the PC RS232 baud rate & protocals? All of these items are missing that should be part of the Peg User Manual. You NEED to get the FREE Peg Programmers Guide off the web to get RS-232 info. You need to join the Peg Yahoo users groups to get some needed HOW TO's, like using Hyper-terminal to get the Peg Firmware version.

There is NO Service Manual for the Peg (confirmed by a phone call to TT). They have a schematics that they promised to send me over a month ago. With no service manual comes NO parts list - so you are in a real bind fixing your own Peg or getting a radio shop to do it. No alignment/tuning procedures. (I get a Service Manual on every radio I have - just incase.)

No external speaker jack, 10m FM but no PL, the mic is a cheap piece of junk - it works but it is made for VOX OPs as the PTT switch is very small on an unweighted base - it feels like a toy. Should have 6m & 2m built in (with descrete antenna connectors). You will want to get a dedicated PC to run the Peg. (Good news is that it will not require a wow PC - and old Pentium clunker will do.)

PRO's:
There are some real neat PC operating programs but no one has an all-in-one program (with built in PSK, SSTV, etc.) Looks Like I'm going to get the:

http://www.callsignsoftware.com/ ...............WOW control!

http://www.mixw.net/ .......................PSK/SSTV + modes!

The IF DSP is neat - just wish they gave us more flexible control over it rather than just pre-sets. The TX gets good reports - I would like to get an all-in one meter VSWR cross needed and output power (but this is a function of the software program not the radio).

This radio had some GREAT possibilities with the ability to upgrade the internal operating firmware and to create unique graphical PC programs. This radio was way way ahead of it's time. HAMs may say they are Techno leaders but many still have to have that BIG KNOB in front of their face or they do not considered it a "real" radio, i.e. the Jupiter (that is a Peg with a radio face).

The TT website poorly represents the cabiabilities of their radios. i.e. look at Jupiter and try to find any details about PC operations? Lame

I will keep this radio, I'll get over the documentaiton problems (maybe) - I'm a Techno geek that likes a challenge. I'm considering to eventually incorporate the Peg into my 440 repeater as a HF remote base, especially since it can be PC/remote controlled.

Now here's a challenge for some industrious programmer/systems integrator to create a PC based repeater controller that could also use a Pegasus/Jupiter as the remote base side of the repeater. I'd like to work with this person.

Kuby, N6JSX /8
Sr. EE, Test

AB4EJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2004 10:47 Send this review to a friend
I've Tried Almost Everything!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being more experienced as a computer engineer than as a ham (30+ years vs 20 years), I approached the Pegasus more as an interesting, powerful peripheral than as a radio. I have had a great time with it! By the time I learned that other software was available (N4PY), I had already downloaded the source C code from rfquared and made numerous modifications (such as to automate the operation of the rig for SSTV, etc.) Recently I have developed a program in Java to automate scanning to observe and plot band openings throughout the day. Also, despite many reviewers saying the Pegasus is not so great for contesting - I entered the CQWW Phone DX competition this year and made over 400 DX contacts. Gee, if a "not so great" contesting rig can be used to do this, I can't wait to try it again with an Orion. And, I understand, that my software can still be used if I update the commands. Way to go, Ten-Tec!

WA2JJH Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2004 15:40 Send this review to a friend
A roofing filter would make this a world class radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always wanted to have an IF DSP RIG.
I always liked TEN-TEC. They helped me with an argonaught 509 I purchased in 1979 in 2000!
They even said send it in we can fix the horrible dial string tuning system.

Got the rig on ebay for $745 with remote VFO and mic. Not a scratch on it.

I put it all together without reading the instruction manual. Yes it is that easy.

I do not have any add on software that every body says is a must. If it is like rig master deluxe, I am golden.

I compared the radio against a Kenwwod TS-850
Sorry the selectivity of those computer generated filters do not work as well as 8 pole XTAL filters in each IF. I saw what other reviewers were talking about. Soft skirts. I used the 1.2khz filter for SSB, I still heard a bit of adjacent signals.

The PBT, sorry the 850 wins again. The twin VBT has 10 click stops for upper cut and lower cut.
I was able to isolate a sideband signal.
On CW on the 850, if you have one knoe at 11 oclock, the oher at one oclock, you have a 500hz CW filter or it's effect.

The good news. The noise blankers are very good.
This is an SDR radio. I may not have that latest software. The picture of the radio is very decieving. The radio looks like a desk top Pc. It is 1/3 the size of even the smallest desk tops.
You can hide the radio. with a mouse and the external VFO box, you can control everything.

This radio is much better than my FT-100D that uses AF-DSP. The TX audio is nice and punchy. The speech proc has an audio monitor.
You can also vary the TX BW. You can have a cut through the noise 2KHZ SSB TX. You can do HI-FI SSB. I would stay with 3KC. You can duplicate the Audio of a ts-850 hi-fi. You can get very wide indeed and sound lke BDCST AM only to another Hi-fi SSB. You may get a pink ticket from Reilly.

I am looking foward to getting my hand inside this rig. I under stand it is a snap to work on.

This is the least expensive IF DSP radio out there. You can combo this rig with a mil spec TEN-TEC RX.
I like the TX audio on this radio. Of all my radio's, only the mil spec harris had audio that would stand out of the noise.
One a true peak reading meter 95Watts was easy to obtain on all bands.
I wish somebody made a face plate for this radio. I would love to use it stand alone.
Oh well one can buy the Jupiter for $1200.

It is a great addition to my shack. I understand the radio is really ultra featured with a $40 progam.

If I can find a way of adding a 4 pole 3KC wide filter, like the Drake TR-7 I will.
It is identical to the pegasus

The external VFO knob is an absolute must. I wish it had fuzzy logic