Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Pegasus Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Pegasus
Ten-Tec Pegasus Reviews: 51 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $895
Description: DSP-based HF Transceiver
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT550.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Pegasus.

K0CRX Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2008 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Good, solid radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine used on eBay about 8 years ago. Later, I added the big knob (ya gotta have at least one knob or it just is not a radio!!). I use it regularly, zero problems, I love it. BTW, I love my ol' Paragon, too!

Mike
K 0 Collects Radios eXclusively

KI4DWO Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2008 07:12 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
Forget spending thousand on a SDR etc this radio works great with the NP4Y software you can do all as the big gun rigs. Have the 2 mtr and 6 mtr transverters HAVE A COMPLETE SHACK.

KE7BRJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2005 01:52 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Every one else has already gone over the specs. I can't find anything wrong with mine. N4PY software, remote dial and internal tuner make this an awesome rig.

W3PH Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2005 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Definitely fun, if not a 'serious' radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Pegasus is a lot of fun - I like it enough that I got a 2nd one to use as a standby rig at my 2nd QTH. It definitely falls short of 'competition grade' but I've used it in several CW contests and it has performed well. I have no nearby ham or AM broadcast neighbors, so the Peg's mediocre specs aren't a big hindrance for me.

Pros:

+It's small, can fit under desk/table
+Lots of filtering choices
+Clean cw keying (with correct compensation - see below)
+Great QSK
+Good audio, both tx and rx
+N4PY software is fantastic and doesn't need a fancy PC - I'm using an old 300 Mhz Pentium laptop
+Have had 3 failures, but construction of the Peg is such that I've been able to fix the problems myself (finals, band-selection relays) despite lack of schematics or service info
+Remote encoder (a must-have) has buttons that N4PY software lets you use for just about any function you want, giving you great control-ability if you can remember what function you assigned to which button

Cons:

-blew finals in one when feedline developed an intermittent connection - no foldback (N4PY software handles high SWR foldback but it didn't help in this case).
-Both of my Pegs have developed bad relays (one on 160, the other on 40)
-DSP is nice, but ultimate selectivity nowhere near as good as cascaded xtal filters
-needs a good bit of keying compensation on CW - with the proper keyer this is no trouble, but is annoying
-TenTec has abandoned the radio firmware-wise - final firmware was released 6/25/2003 - it works well enough with the most recent firmware, but the promise of upgradeability is hollow. Firmware upgrades for the Jupiter appear to have been dropped as well (most recent is 11/14/2003, and the Jupiter is still in production) - I'm considering an Orion but am nervous that they'll drop firmware upgrades for that too when the next project comes along.
-TenTec control software rates maybe a 3 out of 5 - not a big problem what with N4PY software, but without N4PY the radio wouldn't be nearly as nice. Odd that TenTec doesn't acknowledge N4PY (or CallsignSoftware, etc.) on their web site.
-No speaker jack - what's with that?
-Manual definitely an afterthought. No schematic or alignment info.
-TenTec desk mike built like a toy - fortunately, Heil, etc. have alternatives

I've gone back to using my TS-940SATs for DX chasing and contesting (cascaded Inrad filters make these great rigs), but I do use the Pegs for variety and have had a lot of fun with them.

N6JSX Rating: 4/5 Feb 13, 2005 09:20 Send this review to a friend
OK- butttttttt  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a Peg and overall "I like it" but I find a number of dumb issues with the Peg - TT support is questionable.

How good the Peg operates is almost purely a function of the software program! The TT program is not impressive but far better than DxLab CVI, there are many FREE versions - like older N4PY/VE1ADH flopping around. Major problem with these FREEware versions are they have NO "help" files so you must guess/tinker to discover "what some of the program buttons" do.

CON's:
The Peg User Manual is very POOR - the worst commercially produced radio user manual to date. Critical common sense info items are missing, like is the line out/phone jacks mono or stereo? Interface circuit details missing. How can I check if I have the latest Peg Firmare installed? What are the PC RS232 baud rate & protocals? All of these items are missing that should be part of the Peg User Manual. You NEED to get the FREE Peg Programmers Guide off the web to get RS-232 info. You need to join the Peg Yahoo users groups to get some needed HOW TO's, like using Hyper-terminal to get the Peg Firmware version.

There is NO Service Manual for the Peg (confirmed by a phone call to TT). They have a schematics that they promised to send me over a month ago. With no service manual comes NO parts list - so you are in a real bind fixing your own Peg or getting a radio shop to do it. No alignment/tuning procedures. (I get a Service Manual on every radio I have - just incase.)

No external speaker jack, 10m FM but no PL, the mic is a cheap piece of junk - it works but it is made for VOX OPs as the PTT switch is very small on an unweighted base - it feels like a toy. Should have 6m & 2m built in (with descrete antenna connectors). You will want to get a dedicated PC to run the Peg. (Good news is that it will not require a wow PC - and old Pentium clunker will do.)

PRO's:
There are some real neat PC operating programs but no one has an all-in-one program (with built in PSK, SSTV, etc.) Looks Like I'm going to get the:

http://www.callsignsoftware.com/ ...............WOW control!

http://www.mixw.net/ .......................PSK/SSTV + modes!

The IF DSP is neat - just wish they gave us more flexible control over it rather than just pre-sets. The TX gets good reports - I would like to get an all-in one meter VSWR cross needed and output power (but this is a function of the software program not the radio).

This radio had some GREAT possibilities with the ability to upgrade the internal operating firmware and to create unique graphical PC programs. This radio was way way ahead of it's time. HAMs may say they are Techno leaders but many still have to have that BIG KNOB in front of their face or they do not considered it a "real" radio, i.e. the Jupiter (that is a Peg with a radio face).

The TT website poorly represents the cabiabilities of their radios. i.e. look at Jupiter and try to find any details about PC operations? Lame

I will keep this radio, I'll get over the documentaiton problems (maybe) - I'm a Techno geek that likes a challenge. I'm considering to eventually incorporate the Peg into my 440 repeater as a HF remote base, especially since it can be PC/remote controlled.

Now here's a challenge for some industrious programmer/systems integrator to create a PC based repeater controller that could also use a Pegasus/Jupiter as the remote base side of the repeater. I'd like to work with this person.

Kuby, N6JSX /8
Sr. EE, Test

AB4EJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2004 10:47 Send this review to a friend
I've Tried Almost Everything!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Being more experienced as a computer engineer than as a ham (30+ years vs 20 years), I approached the Pegasus more as an interesting, powerful peripheral than as a radio. I have had a great time with it! By the time I learned that other software was available (N4PY), I had already downloaded the source C code from rfquared and made numerous modifications (such as to automate the operation of the rig for SSTV, etc.) Recently I have developed a program in Java to automate scanning to observe and plot band openings throughout the day. Also, despite many reviewers saying the Pegasus is not so great for contesting - I entered the CQWW Phone DX competition this year and made over 400 DX contacts. Gee, if a "not so great" contesting rig can be used to do this, I can't wait to try it again with an Orion. And, I understand, that my software can still be used if I update the commands. Way to go, Ten-Tec!

WA2JJH Rating: 4/5 Oct 2, 2004 15:40 Send this review to a friend
A roofing filter would make this a world class radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always wanted to have an IF DSP RIG.
I always liked TEN-TEC. They helped me with an argonaught 509 I purchased in 1979 in 2000!
They even said send it in we can fix the horrible dial string tuning system.

Got the rig on ebay for $745 with remote VFO and mic. Not a scratch on it.

I put it all together without reading the instruction manual. Yes it is that easy.

I do not have any add on software that every body says is a must. If it is like rig master deluxe, I am golden.

I compared the radio against a Kenwwod TS-850
Sorry the selectivity of those computer generated filters do not work as well as 8 pole XTAL filters in each IF. I saw what other reviewers were talking about. Soft skirts. I used the 1.2khz filter for SSB, I still heard a bit of adjacent signals.

The PBT, sorry the 850 wins again. The twin VBT has 10 click stops for upper cut and lower cut.
I was able to isolate a sideband signal.
On CW on the 850, if you have one knoe at 11 oclock, the oher at one oclock, you have a 500hz CW filter or it's effect.

The good news. The noise blankers are very good.
This is an SDR radio. I may not have that latest software. The picture of the radio is very decieving. The radio looks like a desk top Pc. It is 1/3 the size of even the smallest desk tops.
You can hide the radio. with a mouse and the external VFO box, you can control everything.

This radio is much better than my FT-100D that uses AF-DSP. The TX audio is nice and punchy. The speech proc has an audio monitor.
You can also vary the TX BW. You can have a cut through the noise 2KHZ SSB TX. You can do HI-FI SSB. I would stay with 3KC. You can duplicate the Audio of a ts-850 hi-fi. You can get very wide indeed and sound lke BDCST AM only to another Hi-fi SSB. You may get a pink ticket from Reilly.

I am looking foward to getting my hand inside this rig. I under stand it is a snap to work on.

This is the least expensive IF DSP radio out there. You can combo this rig with a mil spec TEN-TEC RX.
I like the TX audio on this radio. Of all my radio's, only the mil spec harris had audio that would stand out of the noise.
One a true peak reading meter 95Watts was easy to obtain on all bands.
I wish somebody made a face plate for this radio. I would love to use it stand alone.
Oh well one can buy the Jupiter for $1200.

It is a great addition to my shack. I understand the radio is really ultra featured with a $40 progam.

If I can find a way of adding a 4 pole 3KC wide filter, like the Drake TR-7 I will.
It is identical to the pegasus

The external VFO knob is an absolute must. I wish it had fuzzy logic

HB9FBJ Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2004 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Very nice radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This radio is a very fine toy. N4PY software is a must, as well as the remote encoder/pod. I found a good one on the used market, have compared it (A/B) with my 756PRO and got some surprising results in favor of the Pegasus.
This is a very good rig at a very affordable price (if you like pc controlled rigs, of course). It's a pity that the Peg is "end-of-life". Computer-controlled radios are the future.

WA2AC Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2003 04:36 Send this review to a friend
BEST DEAL  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having owned the pegasus for 4 years I thought it would be a good time to write a review.First let me state I am strictly a ssb operator rag chew mostly.I have owned many other hf radios including 756 pro 756 plain,ts 870,ts850,ft1000mp,just to name a few.The pegasus is without question the most fun of all you just dont get tired of it .Reciever fidelity is second to none[with the right speaker]and is natural sounding in a way that other digital radios are not[756pro].Transmit fidelity is equally as good with the right mic or audio equipt.Of course there are shortcommings[low leveldsp noise when rf gain is way down],some evidence of birdies and extraneous noises, qand some other minor nuisances.If I were strictly a DXer I probably would choose a tghter front end radio however all that being said this is the only radio Ive had I would not sell and if it broke tommorow i would unquestionably by another one .THAT SAYS IT ALL.wa2ac

W3DCG Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2003 04:06 Send this review to a friend
Get your wings and fly.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It’s one of my lucky eBay purchases. The only experience I have to compare is a FB TS 850 with 500 Hz filters in both IF stages, and a PTO Corsair with both 500Hz and Inrad 250. The receiver in an 850 I believe will always remain as bullet proof as it gets or close enough, no matter how much technology advances.

On 80m one night, when conditions were marginal at best, keep in mind the date of this post, and that there was a major X17 flare happening, I did switch to the 850 because I needed that S/N increase via crystal filters, that I believe no strictly DSP only radio can produce (I imagine this is why high end radios such as the Mark V and ORION offer both- the best of both worlds). Also, when doing QRP, the 850 is more comfortable for digging out signals below the noise, even or especially without, DSP.

My 850 I choose to keep for strictly these reasons, but my log indicates that I use it now, less than 10 percent of the time.

Pegasus:

She came with the internal LDG tuner, installed.

I have no experience with the ToT GUI. I purchased N4PY’s GUI a few days before the rig arrived. I asked the seller about the remote encoder. His response was that, in short order, he found the mouse to be wholly sufficient, and that knobs and buttons and conventional VFO big knob tuning he found to actually be more cumbersome! I had steep reservations. No Volume/VFO knob, only the mouse? I was seriously doubting it.

Frequency excursions can be accomplished via a ticker tape, click and drag, or Left clicking on either side of the tape for 1 Kc instant changes, Left of center is down Right of center is up. Or L or R press-hold on the VFOA button or VFO B button to move up or down according to current step-size, which is selectable via buttons always present: 1 Hz, 10 Hz, 100 Hz, 1 KHz, 5 KHz, or 10 KHz.. Or L click anywhere within the band-sweep “Scope.”
This is particularly very cool, move the pointer to where you want and Left click and there you are, in One or A Few TENTHS of a second. Try this with any other radio (not counting other Ten Tecs with N4PY software). Or, click and drag within the spectrum scope, and watch the ticker-tape move with you. No other radio gives you a Spectro-scope so useful. ProII sure is pretty, but no better when it comes to moving around. Or, you can simply direct entry from the number keypad on the keyboard. Or click on the band buttons, arranged in sensible order 160 top, 10 or 6 on the bottom, two columns, one for CW, one for Phone. If you are on 80, and want 10m phone, you simply point to 10m phone button and click one time. Instantly you are there in 1 to 3 tenths of one second. Frequency, Filter selection, Mode, change to where you last had it on that band. And so, that is ONE click. With other radios you press the band, maybe a function key, or press up or down to the desired band, then select your mode. Again, for the VFO button method of navigating, Step sizes can be changed with a point and click, to a “resolution” as fine as 1 Hz, to as coarse as 10 KHz.. I have still, no remote encoder. I am now a believer- for me there is no need for a remote encoder- truly it is more cumbersome. But it’s available if you want it.

If the operating you tend to do is mostly casual, getting what you can within modest limits all the way around- say your operating time is whenever you can get it, you can never really plan to work a contest seriously, and your antenna space is limited to perhaps a multi-band such and such, and you are used to a computer- a Pegasus with LDG tuner will provide all manner of just plain FUN. It is like having an antenna that works on every band which is already tuned. Change band, find clear freq., hit Recall, and you’re ready to rock and roll- as fast as that was stated.

Less than 5% of the time do I encounter a situation where I rather use the 850. Less than half of that time do I feel the situation instills enough motivation for me to switch over. If I am doing QRP Fox hunts on the low bands, I’ll use the 850. Hands down, no contest. If it is a big pile up, I’ll use the 850, it is hard to beat the simplicity and functionality of TF-SET for setting up precise splits, with real knob, and a press-hold-release button.

For everything else, I use the Pegasus.

I have detected a few birdies. There are always trade offs. In actual practice, in the real world, the birdies obscure nothing meaningful- “hook up an antenna, get some atmospheric noise” and be happy. The adjustable RX filter-widths and truly effective PBT for all situations thus far encountered overcome this “flaw.” The birdies, like the kind with feathers that fly, are around, but they never get in the way. Never has there been a condition where by the birdies would obscure or prevent a QSO to the point of annoyance.

If you are looking for a radio that is feature-packed but also, easy to learn, practical, and performs well, and are not afraid of computer control, especially if what you seek is defined control- you’ll love it.

Features I use:

Internal Keyer-
First rate, never had better, the only keyers I’ve had/used are MFJ, and IDIOM PRESS K3, Hallicrafters T.O., Autek Research.

Sidetone/Spot:
Fully adjustable volume, sidetone volume independent from Spot volume.

Band sweep, continuous sweep (not to be confused with real-time full spectrum of the PROII) or sweep one time, adjustable in 3,6,12,30,75,150,300,750 Kc ranges. 300 Kc sweeps are good for finding anything on 10m if you’re not sure, like everyone else is not sure, if the band is open when it might be. IT IS NOT the Scope of a PRO or PRO II, make no mistake, it will not decode RTTY like the TFT on a PRO/II. Since you’re already on the computer anyway, with QRZ and eHam and your Log in the background, it would be no big deal to get something like “HamScope” to augment. If you must have real time sweeping, like radar while listening on one frequency, you can always add the RX 320 later and achieve true dual receive. Ok, the RX performance of other “scoped” rigs may sometimes not be realized, but if you enjoy CW, rest assured, you’ll have the finest QSK money can buy, and this specific kind of QSK will blow the doors off the Full-Break-In of YaeCom. One third the price, and only ORION/K2-100/Jupiter/other Ten Tecs, are on par in this department. Kenwood being closest otherwise.
No fair to compare used prices, if so, be sure to look at what a used Pegasus costs, while remembering, on Pegasus you don’t have to worry about cosmetics so much, or things like, is the paint wearing off of the rubberized, plasticized buttons? Is the VFO knob nice and tight, or a bit loose and wobbly? Your interface will be as pristine as the display on your computer, and it will stay that way. Who doesn’t have a computer, and next you have to wonder, if your computer died, how long before you replace it? Immediately is the likely answer, ASAP.

Back to the radio: QSK FULLY adjustable delay, a departure from the FAST or SLOW QSK of ToT’s PTO days. Imagine a knob for that adjustment, instead of a two position switch. As far as Weighting and Ratio of CW, the Dah weight is fully adjustable independently of Dit Weight.

PBT:
Effective Pass-Band-Tuning. I use it constantly.

Filter Selection:
Best there is bar none- selecting filters is performed in the most practical, sensible, fastest possible way, and there are several ways to select them. I did say selection- how do they compare to crystal filters? They don’t. Crystal filtering is superior when the goal is to not only isolate a signal, but improve Signal to Noise, however- combined with the very effective PBT, they do the job as needed for about 95% of all the conditions I encounter.

On Phone, the RF DSP filtering combined with the PBT do a remarkable job. Excellent.

Notch:
The effect while on phone is noticeable, combined with the appropriate filter selection, and PBT, the attenuation of pesky carriers is significant.

Phone:
Fully adjustable TX bandwidth, from as constricted and painfully tight as 900 Hz, to as Mack Truck wide as 8 KHz. Yeah, sure there are regulations, and when the space is there, the choice is yours. It’s as fast to get there as it is to point and click. People talk about the inconvenience of imbedded menus on rigs like the Big 3, but it should be stated, that the worse it gets with Pegasus and N4PY ware is a drop down menu. If you can navigate through Windows, you can find the menu adjustment you need, FAST.

I have BROWSED the Ten Tec User’s Manual ONCE. Reading the manual has not occurred to me. Were it not for the N4PY software, maybe I would have needed to reference the manual a few times. This alone makes the nominal software fee worth while. Again, I NEVER ACTUALLY READ the manual. Try doing that with any other radio that does all this. Rigs are out there that you probably could get up and running without looking at the manual, the IC 718, is there a Spectrum Scope? IF DSP? 34 selectable filter widths? Superior best at any price CW keying? Selectable TX bandwidth? The list goes on and on and on… practically infinite number of memories for storing and labeling frequencies. Maybe an FT 840, or a PTO era Ten Tec. Any radio out there that does all this at this price, does not exist, but if it did, you’d have to read the manual. The N4PY human interface makes all the functions of a Jupiter even easier, but adds MORE features and control, and yet, keeps it all so easy, you won’t need the manual unless you’re looking for modification.

Ten Tec did their part, they created Pegasus to be affordable. Carl Moreschi is simply one of the front-running wizards adding stronger, more agile wings for your Pegasus so that you, too, may fly. I cannot even imagine living with a Pegasus or Jupiter, or any contemporary Ten Tec rig, without the N4PY human to rig interface.

Speech compressor- it works as good as any other. Admittedly, not much experience here but I have used it to get through a few times.

TX monitor- as good as any, volume fully adjustable. Independent of any other volume control settings while the actual level does vary with AF gain somewhat.

Internal LDG tuner- This option available from LDG, you install it, seems easy, though I did not have to install mine, it’s a matter of soldering (I heard) 8 wires, basically. Big plus. HUGE! This is different than the tuners found in most radios- the design is low loss, and the range is much wider. It is very fast, once set. Setting the tuner for each band is automatic. You press a button and it does the rest, and stores each setting to memory. When you recall the tuner, wherever you are, it tunes in usually under one second. Touch ups are another push of a button- maybe it rained or something, SWR changed a bit. Even a big touch up takes under 3 seconds.

IF I had to CHOOSE between having a real-front panel OR the LDG tuner, I’d take the tuner, any day. If you have a Jupiter, and start using the N4PY interface, my feeling is that, you’ll end up using the computer interface primarily, and at that point, the real front panel would be another piece of gear mostly not used. But, if you’re of the all my antennas are resonant/wouldn’t have it any other way group, then consider no need for a tuner as the fruit of thy labor, gain a bit more radiated watts, without the cost. But if those antennas blew down or something and you wanted to run some random wire via 4:1 perhaps even better 1:1 current balun/short run of coax, the option is there. Simply keep the tuner in bypass for the good straight matches.

Finishing touches:

Little practical things, such as, you can set your license class and tell it to not allow transmit beyond the domain of your privileges. Even as an Extra, it won’t let you accidentally go out of ham bands. But the CHOICE is yours. The American way. If you want to optimize your antenna for broadcast band RX, set the tuner to a couple watts which will be harmless amongst the cacophony of broadcasts and carriers, press a button, optimize for best receive- for the record I do not recommend it, but- it is YOUR CHOICE.

Full spectrum coverage on receive- I have enjoyed standard AM broadcast, and the adjustable filter selections become very nice in the crowded 41 meter Shortwave band.

Your callsign on the front panel, you chose the color, or make your own. You chose font size.
Local and UTC clock. You chose color or make your own color.
Last SWR reading displayed. You chose the color. Active VFO displayed, same color as the clocks.
When you transmit, the current TX frequency display numbers turn RED. If you’re operating Split, you’ll know if you have it set up backwards from what you want, if the wrong freq. display is the one turning RED.

The S-meter changes from an SWR/FWD P/REFlected P meter, to an S-meter, and these two different meters morph as fast as you are switching from TX to RX. How fast is that?
How fast is the TX/RX switching on a typical Ten Tec? As fast as that (adjustable). If it makes you dizzy, you can make it be only an S-meter. Or adjust QSK delay to slow QSK, or in big three parlance, Semi-Break-In.

There are yet more features, you can send CW with the Keyboard if you want, you can store messages- the equivalent of a CW Memory keyer.

The radio has it’s limitations. It's not something you'd likely consider taking on a picnic, obviously. You could, with Lap Top, and yet there are so many other choices for that. Contest radio? Not seriously, but it's good for QSO Parties. Casually? Yeah, and it's fun.

Every radio has it's own specific limitations, one must keep in mind, the application.

If you are adept at operating a typical computer using a mouse, and spend time at the computer work-station at home, you’ll likely have a BLAST with this rig. It’s FUN, convenient, and fits perfectly into the typical at home Internet, home-office-ham-shack environment. For this, it was thoughtfully tailored.

Reservations:

Concern about RF in the shack causing problems- I’ve been meaning to install a good RF ground, but have yet to do so, I have the materials- so far, no adverse problems encountered. So I haven’t gotten around to putting in a decent RF ground yet.
Worry about RFI from my computer CPU- absolutely no problem, and the computer case has run open before, in the summer I’d occasionally unlatch the side cover of the tower. Still, no problem. CRT RFI, turns out, some sick joke- my CRT causes RFI centered on 7.040 Mhz or darn close. Perhaps that is the primary reason why I go to the TS850 for QRP- because then I can turn the monitor OFF if the signal is that deeply imbedded in the sand. If you have an LCD monitor, there is no problem with this. Keep in mind my CRT interferes the same on the 850, but the 850 shakes it off so well I still leave the CRT ON, and work through that noise most of the time. Other than that, absolutely no problem from the CRT on any other freqs- this is a product of the CRT and has nothing to do with the Pegasus. Incidentally, the CRT is less than a foot from the Pegasus. Your CRT may interfere on other frequencies, again, the one I’m using does it smack dab in the middle of 7.040, and it will do so no matter what radio.

I did not expect contest grade performance. Contesting is less than 5% of my total air time. I spend most air time listening. I did not expect to have K-2 close-in BDR performance on receive. I expected, convenience, for tuning around and surfing the web and working on the computer at the same time. I expected DSP to reduce noise to comfortable levels. I did not expect very steep filter skirts, I expected improved listening pleasure.
I expected to be having more problems than I am, for having a poor RF ground. I expected to try it out, and then have the novelty wear off, so I could turn around and sell it for nearly what I paid. Performance turns out to be enough, when all the other aspects of the radio are factored into the equation to keep or sell, I believe I would miss this radio more than any other radio I have had and currently have.

So for base station versatility, user friendliness, cost vs. features, performance, thoughtful implementation- for the fact that it produces excellent audio, as well as the finest keying money can buy, for under 1150 full retail everything (much less pre-owned, with lower risk factor than other used radios ), the N4PY/Pegasus/ PT-11 combination is a rock-solid 5 in my book.

The one mind blowing negative is the missing External Speaker jack. I’ve tried amplified computer speakers, and systems with a sub-woofer are particularly enchanting. However such amplified speakers are particularly prone to RF. Sometimes on 20m this becomes clear. I suspect that with proper RF grounding this will be less an issue maybe. I just wished the thing had an external speaker jack.
There is a spare RCA jack, I plan to rewire the speaker in that direction, because if I need to hear when the external is not connected I’ll plug in phones. I have never used the internal speakers on my other radios more than a few days. Which brings up the fact that you can get into the guts of the radio, as small as the box is, the interior remains cavernous. So re-wiring the speaker connection will be approached without fear.

Without N4PY’s graphic user interface, I bet I’d rate it lower. But this post is a l-o-n-g non-technical opinion of the N4PY/Pegasus/PT-11 combination, based on approximately 185 hours of operating impressions.

High Fives all the way around.