Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna
MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: * 5/8 wave radiator gives maximum gain for any single element antenna
* Shunt feed gives lowest SWR and bleeds off static
* Rapid-Tune Radiator makes tuning quick and easy
* Ceramic insulator gives lowest RF loss
* MFJ's Permanent Molecular Bonding Technology gives super durable finish
* Handles 300 watts -- more than you'll ever need
* Easy to install on any 1 to 1 1/2 inch mast
* One year unconditional NO MATTER What guarantee (tm)
* Made in U.S.A.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1750

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2016 12:50 Send this review to a friend
Very Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one up a looong time. Finally had to change out the coax, but the Ant. itself has always worked very well. For the price it's hard to beat.

BRANDRE Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2016 10:19 Send this review to a friend
MFJ must make two versions of every product  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 1750 almost 8 years, had it up in all kinds of nasty weather and conditions with great results. I am about 480 feet above sea level antenna 15 feet AGL with lots of hills and I was hitting repeaters 40 miles away with a 5 watt HT. The antenna performance not quite as good as the 100+$ co-linear I replaced it with that is mounted at 30 ft AGL.
My comment on the MFJ bashing I have seen. I own at least 8 MFJ items. I have come to believe in reading the reviews there are two models of each unit, a bad one and a good one. MFJ randomly sends them out. I am kidding. I think people make many of their problems. I believe the instruction manuals could be better but I have not had to guess on what to do on any item.

N7XUO Rating: 5/5 Aug 17, 2014 13:18 Send this review to a friend
Problem Solver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
We installed this antenna recently for a friend who was experiencing poor performance from his 2-meter base station because of terrain features at and around his location. Several other antennas were installed and tried before we purchased and installed the MFJ-1750.

During our weekly net the net operator asked, "this is the best transmission that you have ever made, what have you changed?" This antenna has made all the difference in the world at his location and has prompted others in our area too purchase and install this same antenna at their shacks.

Simple design for not much money but a fantastic performer. Definitely would recommend this antenna.

KC5HWB Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2013 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Love It  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this antenna about a year ago and finally put it up last month. I was in process of building my Ham Shack in between those times.

For $35, you really can't beat this antenna. Some other reviewers have complained about missing parts, I had this same problem. Mine didn't come with the U-bracket. And the instructions are shotty but really, how hard is it to put together? I hardly needed instructions, honestly, its pretty straight-forward.

I hit repeaters all over with this antenna mounted on a 18' mast on the back of my Shack. I'll probably upgrade soon, just because I want to reach out a bit further, but for $35 this is a great little antenna.

BRANDRE Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2012 11:21 Send this review to a friend
If you need only 2m this is fantastic  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first base antenna, it is still up 3 years later. I need to replace the coax with something better but the antenna is great.

My first use was with a Icom V82. I have a good but not impressive location but with the icom I hit nearly every 2M repeater in 10 counties. I still keep it mounted as an emergency spare.

KA1MAF Rating: 3/5 Jan 23, 2012 14:56 Send this review to a friend
ka1maf not bad antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
The mfj-1750 works hit numbers of repeaters but the assembly instructions are shabby at that no visible lay outs on putting to it getter

KB4RIZ Rating: 4/5 Jan 21, 2012 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Not bad..not great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Needed to erect a two meter base antenna. Had been using this Yaesu mobile radio in the car, and got a regulated PS to use this radio as a home unit. The antenna was ordered from gigaparts, and arrived with the vertical element bent up and loose in the ceramic insulator. Fixed with a couple needle nosed pliers. Really weird construction with the radials being attached to the base with little nuts and screws. But got that done. Finally got the case cover in place and noticed that one of the self tapping screws that hold the case in place was touching the tuning coil. Opened it back up and filed the screw down..all good..but hey..no mounting clamp! Never got packed I guess..I happened to have a spare from a scanner antenna, and got it mounted, and connected.

The radio picked up a lot of repeaters within around 125 miles from here..and when tried to key one up..the radio went dark! Died! But it reset itself...WTH? I immediately assumed the new cheap antenna was to blame..shorting out? Such bad SWR that it shut down? Nope!

I didn't make sure the regulated power supply would put out enough current for the high power setting on the radio.(11amps for full power) so it was my fault. When I reduced the power level in the radio..perfect performance! Turns out I probably don't need anywhere near the 55 watts to hit repeaters in five states from our location in the Smoky Mountains for NC

It's a good antenna. And for the price a heck of a deal.

ONAIR Rating: 4/5 Aug 19, 2011 00:54 Send this review to a friend
Very good for the price!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for over 12 years, and it came with me when I moved from the city into the suburbs. Even though it fell down a few times and the radials got slightly bent, it still does a very good job! If you are money conscious and you just need to put up a 2 meter antenna outside, you cannot beat this antenna for the money.

W1EL Rating: 2/5 Jul 1, 2011 11:57 Send this review to a friend
Poor QC  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mine came with mismatched hardware, nuts too large for the screws. Had to supply my own screws. The aluminum cover was bent to fit a different box about 3/4"smaller. Had to rework the box and cover. Would not purchase again or recommend to anyone else.

W2WO Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2011 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Reasonable buy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one up for 6-7 years. Works as expected. Beginning to show rust on some of the fittings. Small wasp nests easy to build inside. For the money it was a good buy. IIRC, assembly instructions were not very good but just a small measure of common sense will put it together.

Bill - W2WO