Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna
MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $24.95
Description: * 5/8 wave radiator gives maximum gain for any single element antenna
* Shunt feed gives lowest SWR and bleeds off static
* Rapid-Tune Radiator makes tuning quick and easy
* Ceramic insulator gives lowest RF loss
* MFJ's Permanent Molecular Bonding Technology gives super durable finish
* Handles 300 watts -- more than you'll ever need
* Easy to install on any 1 to 1 1/2 inch mast
* One year unconditional NO MATTER What guarantee (tm)
* Made in U.S.A.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1750

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1750 5/8 wave ground plane 2m base antenna.

AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2010 23:30 Send this review to a friend
good ANT  Time owned: more than 12 months
had up in snow in for several years, it worked fine. good value for what it is. also 1/4 wave version work well.

K4DSB Rating: 4/5 Aug 16, 2010 12:32 Send this review to a friend
Best deal on a 5/8 wave 2M ground plane anywhere  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned two of these and they all worked great! However, MFJ 'should' 1. rewrite the manual 2. have better pictures 3. show typical performance (SWR) curves and radiation patterns.

The assembly is easy but cumbersome, but the finished product for the price is very good. I compared this antenna against a CP-22 and another home made J-Pole for 2 meters, the MFJ was better than my J-pole and an S-Unit off the CP-22. The shunt feed is great for static noise and the SWR is pretty low for +- 1MHZ from band center 146.00.(right from the box )

MFJ is right about the gain of a 5/8 wave over a isotropic source, its pretty much fixed in physics and so this antenna will give the same performance as any other 5/8 wave antenna but at a much lower cost...
The antenna is made for outdoors and its anodized elements and box should last for years. I would not trust this antenna in winds much stronger than 60 miles per hour though

K7AGE Rating: 2/5 Mar 11, 2009 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these up. The vertical element broke off in the wind. I now use Arrow Antenna J poles. Randy

KW4J Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2009 11:38 Send this review to a friend
OK for its price  Time owned: more than 12 months
The antenna is a good buy for the price; it performs adequately for the type of antnna it is...a ground plane. However, its assembly, while simple, is cumbersome at best. The first step needs to be rewritten to indicate that the reflectors should be installed before putting the nuts on the 6-32 screws. It does not work otherwise. Also, MFJ should use better screws as the ones provided are almost impossible to turn into place. I doubt that would incresase the price over a few cents. By the way, its 220 M hz brother (1752) has the same exact problems.

VE6JJO Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2008 08:03 Send this review to a friend
Great Value, Great Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
There is nothing fancy about this antenna and this is reflected in the price. I've had it up on the roof and its gone through 4 winters here in the Great White North and its still going strong. I went up to give it a spring check up & replace the coax seal a couple of weeks ago and it looks like new.

I'm hitting a repeater 150km away with this antenna and my ft-1802. To my mind, this is pretty remarkable. The terrain helps of course, its not all due to the antenna but I still think thats excellent coverage.

So for under $40 I have a good, simple and reliable antenna that I didn't have any trouble assembling, has lasted well and performs in a way that exceeds my needs. So good work MFJ, an excellent value for me personally and I am certainly glad I bought this antenna.

WX4O Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2007 17:02 Send this review to a friend
5 year impressions  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one up for many years and it works very well for what it is. Had to change the coax a couple of years ago due to water - not the antenna's fault. Had a little trouble figuring out how to assemble it, but had an 'aha!' moment, and voila! Recommend.

KK4CV Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2007 12:29 Send this review to a friend
GREAT for the amount of money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Mine has hit the ground twice, and is good on TX
& RX.... What some ham's expect for the amount of
money.. is beyond me... No. I am not a 2 meter
die hard, but the antenna covers all four surrounding counties.. Great 1st 2 meter base antenna.

KI4VVI Rating: 2/5 Nov 19, 2007 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna is very cheaply made. The radials are only screwed into a box and they keep falling. After I got it hoiseted, 2 radials have slipped. I would not buy another one. I would pay more money and buy a better quality antenna. As for it's performance, it is only minimal. It only works on the 2 local repeaters. Before the radiials slipped, it worked simplex 100 miles away.

W7ARX Rating: 0/5 Jun 12, 2007 05:51 Send this review to a friend
Worst Quality Control  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well, after phone calls, e-mails, nothing. No replacement parts for my antenna. The antenna I received via AES, has parts from two antennas in the mix. The chassis cover doesn't fit and I cannot erect this "antenna" (looks like coat hanger wire) due to the incorrect hardware. Come to expect lousy customer service from MFJ.

KE4RWS Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2007 22:45 Send this review to a friend
One of MFJ's Successess  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my antenna nearly five years ago with the intention of running packet or APRS with it. It was quickly employed running my home APRS station with a Yaesu FT-2600M and a Kantronics KPC-3 attached to it. After assembling the antenna I noticed the antenna connector was mounted sideways, which I found a little odd not to mention the somewhat box-like base assembly where everything finally fits together. Given these seemingly strange design oddities I placed the antenna around 40 feet on a pole and let it do its thing.

After five years of nearly continuous use as a data antenna with regular 60-watt VHF bursts of APRS data I can say this appears to be, despite the one or two oddities about it, an excellent product during the time Iíve owned it. I might add the materials have held up equally as well over the past five years. Someone wrote in an earlier review they expected the radials to rust or corrode in no time, which I have to admit I too thought this might happen over the years but it hasnít. The radials today are as unblemished as the day I assembled it and put the antenna in service.

Purchase price five years ago was $20 but I see the price at the time of this writing is now $30. I can say the money I spent for this antenna was well worth it, and provided todayís antenna is the same as the one I bought five years ago, I personally feel it would be a good buy at its current market price due to my experience with this model.

MFJ has definitely had some questionable products over the years with numerous quality issues to boot but I can say this model appears to perform as they say itís supposed to with excellent longevity characteristics. The only caveat I could mention would be if MFJ has changed its manufacturing materials in such a way that would change this product in one way or another. Canít tell you how many times I fell in love with a particular product only to find my next purchase of the same item turned out to be a real POS.

Hopefully MFJ still makes the same product today as five years ago :)

Randy Evans