Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Kenwood TR-7850 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TR-7850
Kenwood TR-7850 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $450.00
Description: Kenwood TR-7850 2M mobile radio.

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TR-7850.

KC7NSY Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2008 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Served me well for years.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio when I got my ticket about 13 years ago. it's served me faithfully for all that time, the only problems I ever encountered were the mic cable came unsoldered ,and I did have to fix that a couple times, someone probably yanked it out before I aquired it. also the LED that indicated memory channel or VFO was intermittent. I always had good reports of audio, the radio's audio was great. I was able to use this rig to talk over great distances for 2 meters. great radios

VO1MDS Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2008 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Here's a great example of early 1990's electronics,small package,digital display,ears like an eagle,and talks like a 18wheeler,if your looking for an all out,great little rig,front keyboard,heavy for it's size,built like a tank type of 2m radio,then this well most certinally fill your needs...5watts and 45watts,pick your poison.

K1FBI Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2008 18:17 Send this review to a friend
Another great Kenwood  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is now my main 2m rig and my Icom IC-2200H is the back-up.
Big heatsink keeps it cool(unlike my Icom "grill").
Great receive audio from the stock top mounted speaker and excellent audio reports received on transmit. It came with the CommSpec tone board installed for repeater use. I love the direct frequency entry from the keypad on the face; repeater +/- offset is also set from here, along with memory storage.
Priority Alert/Operate switches are very cool. Everything is done without menus&sub-menus.
I really like this rig. Picked it up for $89-- still with the original box, mobile mount, manual, tone board and all the other goodies that came with it. Very Nice 2 Meter Rig!

N8EKT Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2006 12:25 Send this review to a friend
good radio with a little TLC  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio will serve you well if you re-solder the PIN diode in the PA section.

ZR1NK Rating: 4/5 Dec 20, 2002 05:01 Send this review to a friend
Good solid rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This was my first rig, I bought just after I got my licence and although it's old, it works very well. It puts out a good signal and I have always got decent reports. Nice and sensitive and good audio on receive. I've never used it mobile, it's always been my base rig, I would imagine it would work very well as a mobile. My only complaint is that it can't do 12.5kHz steps and mine doesn't have the tone module either.

KB0HAE Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2001 03:17 Send this review to a friend
Very nice 2m mobile rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very nice 2m mobile rig. Pretty advanced for its time. It has a 4 digit frequency display (Led display units were expensive at the time) that displays the last 4 digits of the frequency (146.520 would be entered on the keypad, and displayed as 6.520), Led S/RF meter, 2 digit memory number display, a keypad for direct frequency entry, 15 memories (2 can store odd splits) memory scan, and SWR protection for the final output transisters. Other features include 40 watts out on high power (a low power setting is included) and tone capability with a user supplied tone board(such as a A ComSpec etc...). Mine has had a tone board installed, and a set of 5 switches to let me set any of the boards 32 tones (the board is a ComSpec SS-32. This model has been discontinued in favor of a 64 tone model). This radio has a sensitive receiver, with good sounding audio. Transmit audio reports are good both on simplex, and several repeaters. I bought this on E-bay for use in the shack, as I don't like to tie up the Icom 706MKII to monitor 2meters. I am very pleased with The 7850's performance and features. The only con (for some) is that it is slightly larger than my 706MKII, and might be hard to fit into some of todays small cars.