Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Kenwood DSP-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood DSP-100
Kenwood DSP-100 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$500-$600
Description: External DSP unit for TS850 and TS450

You can write your own review of the Kenwood DSP-100.

W4SWR Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2011 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it was intended to do  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is not intended to be a noise reduction DSP unit. For what it was designed to do, it does extremely well. It was designed to limit audio passband, shape cw, and "clean up" transmitted and received SSB signals. It does a great job at setting hi-cut and lo-cut audio passbands. Received SSB signals sound "cleaner" and less rough around the edges. Definite noticeable difference. Transmitted audio is also cleaner. Unwanted sideband is suppressed into nothingness when switched on in transmit. If you own a TS-850 and want to make the best of it in terms of a great sounding clean signal, then this will do it. It probably brings the TS-850 into the realm of the TS-950SDX. Not much experience with CW. It costs as much as a TS-850 these days, so only you can decide whether it's worth it. It is for me. 73.

K1NVY Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2009 12:07 Send this review to a friend
TS-850S DSP-100 OK for CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I work 100% CW. I recently added the DSP-100 to one my two TS-850's. I found that the DSP-100 gives the incoming CW note a crisper sound than the stock TS-850S. The audio does have not have that deeply hollow "DSP" sound. I have the filters set to 400 - 2800 Hz.

The FAST/SLOW rise time does have an affect on the outgoing note. In FAST, I've received reports of clicking and have clearly heard the clicking on an adjacent receiver. In SLOW, there are no clicks. I would use FAST while chasing DX in a pile-up. The slightly sharper tone of my signal would give a slight advantage as advertized. I will not use FAST otherwise.

The "audio image" on the opposite sideband is gone as noted in the ARRL review of the TS-950SDX.

Unrelated the DSP-100, I also have two FT-1000D's and find the TS-850S is as good a performer as the FT-1000D. Each radio has its own personality and features but both are terrific CW radios.

The DSP-100 is going for up to $700 but for just CW ops, I would not pay that price. I got mine at $450. Is that a fair price for crisp incoming CW, switchable rise/fall time and no audio image? I don't know but I'll definitely keep it attached to the radio.

It does run hot with the internal cover on top of the main board. I removed the aluminum cover for greater air circulation and will eventually add a small fan. There are no adverse effects with the cover removed.

Fred/K1NVY

KE4ZHN Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2008 14:19 Send this review to a friend
Nice unit, but too expensive  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ran one of these with my TS850. The DSP-100 will improve your TX/RX audio to a degree but I didnt experience the "oh wow" factor some of the reviewers claim. This unit allows you to transmit a wider signal which to me is of little use because Im not a believer in transmitting overly wide. To some who toy with audio and EQ's this is fine but Im not into that aspect of the hobby. All too often Ive had to deal with splatter from some of these types so Id rather keep my TX bandwidth under 3khz. The high and low pass filters are somewhat limited in this unit but being a first generation DSP this is to be expected. To be honest, I was just a little disappointed with this unit for what it cost. Its a nice addition to your Kenwood, but for the same money you can sell the combo and buy a more modern used DSP rig that will do much more. Which is exactly what I did.

IZ2CED Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2008 12:48 Send this review to a friend
A nice update for TS-450  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I think it is a nice update for my TS-450. It demonstrate how Kenwood was looking forward at that years. On receive it help in clarity because you're no longer obliged to use the 2.4 kHz crystal filter. In transmission the voice is even more clear and crispy. With the DSP-100 I can have an analogic radio (TS-450) with the modern IF DSP stage and use the best of the two technologies.

73 IZ2CED Maurizio

LA1TNA Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2006 18:00 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the DSP-100 & TS-850 3 years. The DSP-100 makes quite a difference and is giving an excellent TX-audio quality. Please see the webpages from KA0KA on http://www.cleanrf.com/ka0ka/. The TS-850 and DSP-100 enable really hifi SSB with 6 khz bandwith. Excellent!

AA5TE Rating: 4/5 Oct 19, 2006 07:20 Send this review to a friend
Good for TX, not so hot on RX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing makes an immediate and quite noticeable difference on transmit, but, as a few others have noted, not so great on receive. It does make a noticeable difference on receive, but only in quality of the received signal, not hardly noticeable in what it does to noise and/or QRM.

VK4TUX Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2005 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I liked mine so much I got another for the other TS850s. The big thing about appreciating these is knowing how to use them properly :).
They are part of a assortment of equipment that can provide unrivalled audio and reception.

Adrian

W4LED Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2002 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Worthwhile addition to the 850!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've noticed the DSP-100 tends to get a bad rap on forums like this one, especially for its perceived shortcomings in receive mode. People do seem generally complimentary when speaking of its attributes in transmit mode, but I am perplexed by comments that the unit produced little improvement in the received signal. This has not been my experience.

While I am also pleased with how the '100 can transform one's mediocre audio signal on transmit, I find the DSP-100 to be quite capabable at filtering QRM and enhancing the overall listening experience by producing a richer and more natural sound than can be achieved with the TS-850S' stock filters. Many times the '100 has enabled me to pick out distant signals that were virtually unintelligible otherwise. As an added benefit, the effect the filtering has had on the receive audio quality has made listening for long hours less of a chore; it's much easier on the ears and head.

Does the unit perform perfectly for me in all situations? No. Picking out some CW signals can be tricky, as I have encountered situations where the unit hinders reception more than it helps. Are there better choices for DSP? I believe that much of the technology built into today's new radios is superior to that of the DSP-100. However, used appropriately with the 850 (with the 850's 8.83 and 455 filters set properly) your ability to copy weaker signals in challenging conditions should improve. You just cannot go wrong by adding a DSP-100 to your older Kenwood station...if you can find one. This leads me to a very telling question: would I sell mine? No.

Contrary to what some others have said, the DSP-100 continues to perform nicely for me in receive. And hey, almost everybody agrees it greatly enhances that fine Kenwood audio on transmit. For the ambitious types, there are a couple of Web sites asserting the virtues of becoming an audio "purist" by investing in studio gear and performing modifications that can extend the 850S/100 combo's capabilities even further. Whether you choose steroids or stock, either way, I believe the DSP-100 makes a solid addition to anyone's 850S-based station and recommend it enthusiastically.

PA7TWO Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
FB unit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi to all HAMS!

I own two of these Kenwood DSP-100's with great joy. It is not like the DSP in later models but remember one thing here! It is DSP in IF stage, NOT in audio to your speaker! The unit filters before shitty signals are pounding in your receiver.
Do the following test: Set ALL your IF filters in your TS450/690 or 850 to the widest position. Switch 'on' your DSP-100 unit , NOW you notice the difference! It filters BEFORE the IF filters in your ufb Kenwood rig!
Do not forget another big advantage, that is the transmitted signal. With DSP the average output raises with at least 30% so that for sure your voice is much clear and louder than without on the other side.
To be honest....I can live without but I love to HAM with these units. Second hand prices are low these day's, only problem is that they were not sold in large amounts here in PA country.

Vy 73, de Kees - PA7TWO.

ZF1MW Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2001 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one for the benefits of DSP but it was a waste of money. No noticeable effect on SSB transmit or receive reports. Minor improvement on CW. Good filters do a better job.
I also have an MFJ 784B which does much better filtering. If only it did not loose that much volume during processing.