Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Kenwood DSP-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood DSP-100
Kenwood DSP-100 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $$500-$600
Description: External DSP unit for TS850 and TS450

You can write your own review of the Kenwood DSP-100.

VK4TUX Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2005 21:11 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I liked mine so much I got another for the other TS850s. The big thing about appreciating these is knowing how to use them properly :).
They are part of a assortment of equipment that can provide unrivalled audio and reception.

Adrian

W4LED Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2002 00:22 Send this review to a friend
Worthwhile addition to the 850!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've noticed the DSP-100 tends to get a bad rap on forums like this one, especially for its perceived shortcomings in receive mode. People do seem generally complimentary when speaking of its attributes in transmit mode, but I am perplexed by comments that the unit produced little improvement in the received signal. This has not been my experience.

While I am also pleased with how the '100 can transform one's mediocre audio signal on transmit, I find the DSP-100 to be quite capabable at filtering QRM and enhancing the overall listening experience by producing a richer and more natural sound than can be achieved with the TS-850S' stock filters. Many times the '100 has enabled me to pick out distant signals that were virtually unintelligible otherwise. As an added benefit, the effect the filtering has had on the receive audio quality has made listening for long hours less of a chore; it's much easier on the ears and head.

Does the unit perform perfectly for me in all situations? No. Picking out some CW signals can be tricky, as I have encountered situations where the unit hinders reception more than it helps. Are there better choices for DSP? I believe that much of the technology built into today's new radios is superior to that of the DSP-100. However, used appropriately with the 850 (with the 850's 8.83 and 455 filters set properly) your ability to copy weaker signals in challenging conditions should improve. You just cannot go wrong by adding a DSP-100 to your older Kenwood station...if you can find one. This leads me to a very telling question: would I sell mine? No.

Contrary to what some others have said, the DSP-100 continues to perform nicely for me in receive. And hey, almost everybody agrees it greatly enhances that fine Kenwood audio on transmit. For the ambitious types, there are a couple of Web sites asserting the virtues of becoming an audio "purist" by investing in studio gear and performing modifications that can extend the 850S/100 combo's capabilities even further. Whether you choose steroids or stock, either way, I believe the DSP-100 makes a solid addition to anyone's 850S-based station and recommend it enthusiastically.

PA7TWO Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2002 10:05 Send this review to a friend
FB unit!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi to all HAMS!

I own two of these Kenwood DSP-100's with great joy. It is not like the DSP in later models but remember one thing here! It is DSP in IF stage, NOT in audio to your speaker! The unit filters before shitty signals are pounding in your receiver.
Do the following test: Set ALL your IF filters in your TS450/690 or 850 to the widest position. Switch 'on' your DSP-100 unit , NOW you notice the difference! It filters BEFORE the IF filters in your ufb Kenwood rig!
Do not forget another big advantage, that is the transmitted signal. With DSP the average output raises with at least 30% so that for sure your voice is much clear and louder than without on the other side.
To be honest....I can live without but I love to HAM with these units. Second hand prices are low these day's, only problem is that they were not sold in large amounts here in PA country.

Vy 73, de Kees - PA7TWO.

ZF1MW Rating: 2/5 Oct 16, 2001 21:56 Send this review to a friend
Not worth it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought one for the benefits of DSP but it was a waste of money. No noticeable effect on SSB transmit or receive reports. Minor improvement on CW. Good filters do a better job.
I also have an MFJ 784B which does much better filtering. If only it did not loose that much volume during processing.