Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Henry 3K ULTRA Help

Reviews Summary for Henry 3K ULTRA
Henry 3K ULTRA Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $4,295.00
Description: Hf Linear Amp

You can write your own review of the Henry 3K ULTRA.

KC5TJT Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2005 08:29 Send this review to a friend
BUILT LIKE A TANK!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one heavy duty amp.. Built to take about anything!!! The 3cx1200D7 is a great tube INSTANT ON!! Will put out 2800 * watts on 75m( IN A DUMMY LOAD OF COURSE!) Drops to 1500 watts on 10M.. PLENTY OF POWER!! Tuning on the higher bands is a bit sensitive but after you find the starting points (supplied in the manual) its EASY!! I really dont think you could tear this thing up!! Its really nice having the RFDECK in the other room.. Keeps the heat down and the noise.. Even though this amp is pretty quiet.. Not as loud as a Commander or QRO but a little louder than an Alpha 77 or 87A.. All in all a nice addition to any shack!!

W7MD Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2002 19:20 Send this review to a friend
Like A Rock  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my 3K Ultra for about 8 years. I bought it used from another ham who took good care of it. It has managed to take all the abuse that I have thrown at it like loading up accidentally on the wrong band and running high swr. This is not a high power amp when driven with a 100 watt radio like my 1000MP. It is capable of a little more than 1500 WATTS with that kind of drive. The beefy (I mean humongous) power supply will handle RTTY at that power. It could be driven with higher power which would probably not be good for the 3CX1200D7 but the power supply would be able to handle it. I have heard that Henry will use 8877s in the new ones. I have had to do very minor repairs during the 8 years. I am very satisfied with it.
Damon, W7MD
Tucson, AZ

N8MIS Rating: 3/5 Feb 10, 2002 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Moved it quick  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought new Owned a short period and sold. No comment..

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2001 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Big Daddy  Time owned: more than 12 months
What an amplifier..I have used mine for over a year now and it is a total pleasure to operate. Nothing is built like the Ultra that I have seen in over 40 years of hamming. The only draw back is the size and heft of the unit if you have to ship it somewhere. I have owned two DX77 Alpha's and they were TOY's compaired to the Ultra.

KA7NIQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2001 13:07 Send this review to a friend
MY GOD !!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This amp came from the estate of Hans, a Ham I didnt know.
He was a broadcast engineer with Voice of America.
He was into all kind of digital modes, Amtor, Pactor, etc, and it had the special relay in it.
This amp must weigh over 300 pounds!
It was the best amp I ever owned, by far.
It would put out far in excess of the legal power, but thats not the real story.
The real story is the quality of the components.
Oil filled caps, a huge transformer, quality of construction is.
I was known in my ham radio club for owning this amp!
Even the XYL's would whisper in my ear" Chris, I hear you have the Big Henry" HI HI.
I passed this amp on to W0AD, who convinced me he needed it more than I.
I got a good deal on this amp, and I passed it on to a good ham.
I was living in deed restricted qth at the time, with vertical!
My XYL is a Nurse.
She hated the amp!
She said it looked like something out of the hospital!
I would just hug her and say Thank YOU!
I know this is going to sound weird, but I could sometimes feel Hans in the shack with me.
After all, I bought his TS-850, and his amp!
Even though I never knew him, I felt I did.
I still have the 850, and the Henry got passed on to a good ham.
I never had one minutes trouble with the amp in two years.
I always got good audio reports with it, never a complaint of splatter!
I am not one of those lids who widen up my transmitted audio bandwith in the name of "HI FI" audio!
Nor do I believe in cranking up the output power of my transceiver, to properly" Drive" an amp.
Sure, The Ultra will do in excess of 2kw, but so what?
No one will notice but your neighbors!
The Ultra can be placed right at the base of your antenna, eliminating line losss, although I never used it that way.
I would unquestionably recommend this amp to anyone seeking a nice piece of gear.
Chris