Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | MMSSTV Help

Reviews Summary for MMSSTV
MMSSTV Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $FREE
Description: Slow Scan TV software.
More info: http://www.amateur-radio.ca

You can write your own review of the MMSSTV.

N2RRA Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Awesome software!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well! Agree with AG3Y!

I'll wind up also saying what has already been said. Just wanted to say I have used many SSTV programs and MMSSTV is certainly my favorate. You don't need an up to date computer to run it much like the HRD 780 where if you don't wind up have lag issues when running more than 1 application.

It's simple but yet extremely effective. If you can't either get the program to run right or don't understand how to run it then god help you if you try a more complicated program. You really are in the wrong hobby. Plain and simple!

So download a free program and stop being a boring chump. Enjoy some SSTV with the rest of us.

73's

AG3Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 14:49 Send this review to a friend
Works if you "tweak" it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I read a few remarks about MMSSTV being somewhat "soft" especially in Martin mode. Well, in the "setup MMSTV" tab, there are many options you can select to "tweak" the frequency response time, and therefore the clarity of the received signal!

The "test pattern" which is found by right clicking on the TX screen, together with the oscilloscope tool and the internal loopback function, will allow you to set the filters for optimum clarity of the received signal. Using these tools, I have reached a point where I can barely discern the difference between the transmitted and recovered signals through my soundcard.

Another thing you might want to try is to set your ks/s rate to higher than the 8000 or 11250 ( I think it is )ks/s. I am running around 22,000 ks/s, and the pictures are smooth as butter, but with sharp edges.

If you have a really fast computer with a 24/96 sound card, you can go 44,000 ks/s and still not break up the picture when you access the hard drive.

All of this information is available on the internet, but I thought I would remind you all of it.

73, Jim AG3Y

AG3Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2009 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Works if you "tweak" it!  Time owned: more than 12 months

73, Jim AG3Y

N3TOY Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2008 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Works in Linux!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used MMSSTY for years. Haven't worked any SSTV for a long time and have long since migrated over to Linux 100%. QSSTV seems to be the only option in Linux, but I had a hard time getting it to compile in Fedora 8. Then I thought: What are the chances MMSSTV works with Wine? Guess what? IT DOES! Right out of the box. Happy to have my same old familiar application back on my desktop.

I wish I could give it an 8 to make up for an undeserved 2 below. Why someone would give it a 2 because it is easy to use is beyond me. Maybe a better approach would be to mentor the "newcomer" on their error instead of trashing the application. I guess if the guy below were to be in an auto accident with a Honda he would blame the Honda company and not the driver of the auto?

If you are looking for a great SSTV application that runs under Linux, give it a try. Just remember to calibrate your sound card all you newcomers out there. Danger! You might have fun!

DH5JBR Rating: 2/5 Jul 6, 2007 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Danger  Time owned: months
I am reading just a few comments here and they are all kind of true and MMSSTV is a truely great programme if handled properly.

There is a hidden danger to it that makes it a pain in the (censored) for those who have used the mode before its advent.

The old folk from the mode know what I am driving at. Nils, SM5EEP, to my knowledge the SSTV operator with the mos countries worked, knows what he is doing and uses the software prudently, as do many other operators.

I get very aggravated when I hear that someone has tried it out with a friend and found it to work very well instantly. I believe that. What these OMs do not reaizle is that they are not aware of all the features of the programme. The way it installs is that the option "Auto Slant Correction" is set to "on" by default. This makes all the received pictures look great instantly.

People who have used SSTV for a longer period know that each new SSTV software needs to be calibrated to the PC before use.

MMSSTV is no exception to this rule. The point is that it really can be calibrated.

The even more important point is that it should be calibrated.

Proof is that all OMs that have previously used other software KNOW that it must be calibrated and HAVE calibrated it.

How can I calibrate it and why should I be doing this?

Well, the HELP feature tells you how. Just use the search funtion for system clock or calibration. It will tell you how to do it. The tools are all there.

To be calibrated are two branches of the sound card: receive and transmit.

Failure to calibrate makes the transmitted picture go sideways to the point of illegibility. The setting of the clock frequency is EXRTREMELY delicate and cannot be predicted by the software designer. Hence the calibration tool is a standard feature in SSTV programs.

The feature of "Auto Slant Correction" obviates the slant setting for the uninitiated. You can work the mode and the auto mode will work out the rest for you - unless you operate with another software that does not have this feature.

I use JVComm32 which is not essentially better, I just prefer it. I have calibtated it with about 5000 fax pictures from an official weather utility service, so I am dead sure that my calibration is pretty good.

I could re-calibrate to another station using MMSSTV, but all stations using MMSSTV WITHOUT being calibrated will have a DIFFERENT slant value due to minute tolerances in their crystals. I will end up re-calibrating to each and every station. I am not prepared to do that, since I have a well calibrated system and the newbies do not have that.

The great point of MMSSTV is that it will work instantly, but the weakness is that it makes the newcomers believe that all is well when it is not.

This is a really important issue and it is important that OMs new to the mode read and follow this to save themselves from being yelled at on the bands.

The software is not at fault, since it has all the information and tools for proper operation in it.

The bug is that the (nice but essentially unnecessary) feature of "AUTO SLANT CORRECTION" is set to "on" by default.

Do us all a favour and calibrate your software. Find out how to do it and take the five minutes to do it.

I have published an article on the subject in RadComm and will send a pdf of it to you on request dh5jbr@darc.de.

THIS IS REALLY IMPORTANT.

vy 73
Joachim

AA1XU Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2007 12:06 Send this review to a friend
PLUG AND PLAY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I BOUGHT THE PLUG AND PLAY RINGBLASTER FROM HRO. MY FRIEND AND MYSELF HAD IT INSTALLED AND SENDING PICTURES IN 20 MINUTES. I RUN A 756 PRO 111 AND WORKS GREAT. NEVER NEED TO UNHOOK ANYTHING WHEN YOUR DONE PLAYING. DOESANT INTERFERE WITH THE WORKING OF THE RADIO. I GIVE IT A 100 % DICK AA1XU

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2007 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the program that introduced me to the wonderful world of digital modes. I have tried others but something about this one always calls me back, many useful features, easy to set up with lots of templates with useful messages.

Can't beat the price either!

Freeware, not handicapped at all, fully functional

W3NRL Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2004 21:12 Send this review to a friend
Works nicely with yeasu  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the mmsstv with the local group guys around here in 2 and 6 meters. Having great success with out fail and fun
73 de
w3nrl

KJ7YL Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2004 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Works with ICOM Rigs  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found that the MMSSTV software works quite well with ICOM HF rigs. The software is designed to control ICOM radio using the CI-V radio control using a CT-17.

ICOM Radio,s can be connected to the sound card on a computer through the Radio accessory jack.

The CI-V, and audio Accessory jack can be left connected all the time, and will not interfer with the use of the microphone on the ICOM HF rig. The connections are simple, and straight foward.

This software works with all ICOM HF rigs including the New IC-7800.

M3CQT Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2004 17:45 Send this review to a friend
GREAT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is from someone who can not do a lot with a computer but with the help of someone else has now worked many stations with the mmsstv software a breeze to install and just as easy to use i am well and truly hocked what more can i say and it is free YES FREE give it a try and you wont look back tryed the rest now try the best well i think so.