Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Icom IC-4KL Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-4KL
Icom IC-4KL Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6,700
Description: 1 kW solid state amp with integrated fully automatic antenna tuner. 160-12 meter bands, easy mod for 10 meter band. FULLY controlled by Icom tranceivers for seamless operation. Remote control head compliments and places next to tranceiver while main unit is out of the way on casters (wheels). This amp was made from aproximately 1990 to 1996-97.

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-4KL.

W2PH Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2016 13:18 Send this review to a friend
New IC-4KL Yahoo Group  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased an IC-4KL that needed work. The power supply died when the squirrel cage fan froze with no warning. I rebuilt the amp using a Meanwell switching power supply. It was almost plug and play. Please check out the new Yahoo group called IC4KL for more information or to post any information. Manuals are available there for download. The IC-4KL is one of the best solid state amplifiers ever made. All parts are easy to access and not crammed together. It is very conservatively built with decent documentation. The auto band switching with my IC-7300 works great and the internal antenna tuner is fast without 200 clunking relays.
W8IDL Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2016 22:50 Send this review to a friend
Best Solid State Amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my Icom IC-4KL amplifier new and have enjoyed using it with the IC-781 transceiver. It easily puts out 1100 watts and its seamless integration to the 781 makes it seem like an 1100 watt transceiver. The weak spot is the switching design, but there is a mod that replaces the original supply using a later design switcher from MeanWell that makes the amp bullet-proof! I keep the RF deck under the operating desk and it is very quiet. These were discontinued in favor of the Icom PW-1, though I sold the PW-1 I had purchased to replace the 4KL and have kept the IC-4KL. I even bought another 4KL I am using with an Icom IC-765 transceiver. It does't get any better than that for ease of use.
KK5DR Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Great HF amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own serial number 001, the first unit sold in the US.
The OEM power supply died in it, so I designed the interface for a new commercial replacement. See details of my mod on my web site;
I'm also the owner of the yahoo 4kl group.
There were only a few hundred of these units ever built. Many were used in US embassies along with the 781 in that era.
It's a great HF amp and easy capable of legal limit SSB with a new PSU in it.
It runs cool and quiet all day every day.
W6RS Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2012 22:41 Send this review to a friend
SOLID AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky enough to come across one of these amps recently and am just thrilled with it. I have an Ameritron AL-1500 and a Ten Tec Titan 425 sitting on the desk also, but when it comes to quick band changes and ease of operation the 4KL can't be beat. It puts out a solid KW plus on all bands. Just a great amp, period. If you can lay your hands on one of these by all means grab it, you won't be sorry.
WX2CX Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I consider my self one of the lucky owners of a 4kl amplifier.
Yes the cooling fan is a bit loud, but nothing major.
This is a real amplifier, rock solid 1KW plus+ and one if not the most beatuful designed amp specially when sitting right next to my ICOM 765, just a KW dream station!
Pure, clean RF power!
W4LTD Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2008 01:45 Send this review to a friend
Icom At It's Best! Amazing Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my 4KL today and after a full day's use I am impressed. Having owned an ALS-600 and a current 2KL user, this amplifier is another fine example of Icom quality. I don't think I'll ever let it go but maybe it is time to pass on the 2KL to a worthy inheritor...
N1JMS Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a Soild State unit it is great. The auto-tuner is good too.
N5YU Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 17:11 Send this review to a friend
SWEET !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely the finest and easiest to use! If you can dial the memory knob on the radio, you can operate the AMP. Repeating what others have said; "It's like having a 1KW exciter. Plus, it is a perfect match to my IC-765 in my total vintage Icom station. If you can find one (??) you will not be disappointed. Good Luck!
SM5USK Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2006 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Very loud  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rock solid design but veeeeeeeeeeery loud. I agree with the previous reviewer.

If you can place the amp remoutly then you do not need to suffer from the loud noise.

It is instantly in your service and AT works nicely. It is designed for commercial applications. You really feel the robustness.
W2KN Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2003 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice N Easy BUT LOUD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the IC-4KL for a couple of months now. I love the ease of use with this Amp and the performance is excellent. I would definitely give it a 5 except for the very loud fan noise. Even in standby this baby is pretty loud. And it goes up a notch when you transmit!

I don't have a good way to make use of the remote capability in my shack. My ideal would be to have the amp part in the next room and the control head on the desk.

Thank God for the Headset! Makes it usable!