Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Icom IC-4KL Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-4KL
Icom IC-4KL Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $6,700
Description: 1 kW solid state amp with integrated fully automatic antenna tuner. 160-12 meter bands, easy mod for 10 meter band. FULLY controlled by Icom tranceivers for seamless operation. Remote control head compliments and places next to tranceiver while main unit is out of the way on casters (wheels). This amp was made from aproximately 1990 to 1996-97.
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-4KL.

KK5DR Rating: 4/5 Oct 11, 2014 12:07 Send this review to a friend
Great HF amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own serial number 001, the first unit sold in the US.
The OEM power supply died in it, so I designed the interface for a new commercial replacement. See details of my mod on my web site; www.qsl.net/kk5dr
I'm also the owner of the yahoo 4kl group.
There were only a few hundred of these units ever built. Many were used in US embassies along with the 781 in that era.
It's a great HF amp and easy capable of legal limit SSB with a new PSU in it.
It runs cool and quiet all day every day.

W6RS Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2012 22:41 Send this review to a friend
SOLID AMP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was lucky enough to come across one of these amps recently and am just thrilled with it. I have an Ameritron AL-1500 and a Ten Tec Titan 425 sitting on the desk also, but when it comes to quick band changes and ease of operation the 4KL can't be beat. It puts out a solid KW plus on all bands. Just a great amp, period. If you can lay your hands on one of these by all means grab it, you won't be sorry.

WZ0CX Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2011 18:43 Send this review to a friend
Superb!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I consider my self one of the lucky owners of a 4kl amplifier.
Yes the cooling fan is a bit loud, but nothing major.
This is a real amplifier, rock solid 1KW plus+ and one if not the most beatuful designed amp specially when sitting right next to my ICOM 765, just a KW dream station!
Pure, clean RF power!

W4LTD Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2008 01:45 Send this review to a friend
Icom At It's Best! Amazing Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my 4KL today and after a full day's use I am impressed. Having owned an ALS-600 and a current 2KL user, this amplifier is another fine example of Icom quality. I don't think I'll ever let it go but maybe it is time to pass on the 2KL to a worthy inheritor...

N1JMS Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2008 19:23 Send this review to a friend
Great Unit  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For a Soild State unit it is great. The auto-tuner is good too.

N5YU Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 17:11 Send this review to a friend
SWEET !!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Absolutely the finest and easiest to use! If you can dial the memory knob on the radio, you can operate the AMP. Repeating what others have said; "It's like having a 1KW exciter. Plus, it is a perfect match to my IC-765 in my total vintage Icom station. If you can find one (??) you will not be disappointed. Good Luck!

SM5USK Rating: 4/5 Nov 17, 2006 20:52 Send this review to a friend
Very loud  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Rock solid design but veeeeeeeeeeery loud. I agree with the previous reviewer.

If you can place the amp remoutly then you do not need to suffer from the loud noise.

It is instantly in your service and AT works nicely. It is designed for commercial applications. You really feel the robustness.

W2KN Rating: 4/5 Aug 18, 2003 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Nice N Easy BUT LOUD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the IC-4KL for a couple of months now. I love the ease of use with this Amp and the performance is excellent. I would definitely give it a 5 except for the very loud fan noise. Even in standby this baby is pretty loud. And it goes up a notch when you transmit!

I don't have a good way to make use of the remote capability in my shack. My ideal would be to have the amp part in the next room and the control head on the desk.

Thank God for the Headset! Makes it usable!

Steve
W2KN

K7IM Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2002 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this 4KL for several years now. Bought it used. Simply the best amp I have ever had the pleasure of using. No issues noted, it simply works great everytime I put it on the air. I will keep this amp as long as I continue with ham radio.

W7AX Rating: 5/5 Oct 9, 2001 09:50 Send this review to a friend
one of the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been the owner of this fine amp for the last year now. I must say that it is the ultimate in performance and ease of operation. I use mine with the Icom 781 and it is a perfect matrix. I use several other amplifiers here and they all work well but for simplicity and quick QSY, the 4KL can't be beaten. Some folks don't like the fan noise but to me it is hardly noticeable. It is not as quiet as the Collins 30S1. Nothing is as quiet as the 30S1! I can give this Icom an easy '5' ....the engineering in this rig deserves no less.